Plywood on steep driveway

NashvilleTN

Stupid question I hope someone will answer for me... When putting down plywood on a steep driveway is there any chance of it shifting or sliding when driving down it especially when braking? I have never felt the need to plywood a driveway for my bucket truck. I just bid on a job where they have two concrete lanes that are very narrow. My front tires would probably be half on half off the outer edge and my rear duals would be the same with the inner tires with the outer tires completely off. With that being said I would want to throw some plywood or Alturnamats down to not break the edges. This driveway is STEEP. I have this image of me stepping on the brakes and just sliding the whole way down. Is this even possible? I assume plywood would be less likely to slide but it might not even be a thing that happens and I'm just being dramatic..

Chaplain242

Stupid question I hope someone will answer for me... When putting down plywood on a steep driveway is there any chance of it shifting or sliding when driving down it especially when braking? I have never felt the need to plywood a driveway for my bucket truck. I just bid on a job where they have two concrete lanes that are very narrow. My front tires would probably be half on half off the outer edge and my rear duals would be the same with the inner tires with the outer tires completely off. With that being said I would want to throw some plywood or Alturnamats down to not break the edges. This driveway is STEEP. I have this image of me stepping on the brakes and just sliding the whole way down. Is this even possible? I assume plywood would be less likely to slide but it might not even be a thing that happens and I'm just being dramatic..
Not being dramatic at all. Yes plywood slides, particlularly if damp, especially if algae on driveway.

Could risk drilling rope holes and tying them to anchor at top if available. Or could belay the vehicle on way down for safety if serious anchor available.

What I have done in past (as don’t like using slip plates when trucks involved) is to use sandbags over the edges as a ‘road’. But costs as often damage the bags, and the time to fill, have to get fill on occasions if unavail on site etc

I have also reinforced a precarious bridge to get a picker over it with three layers of sandbags so wouldn’t point load bridge with tyres.

You can’t get up a track of sandbags though, they will bog down or cut up with wheel rotation if hill that steep.

Other option if have tools is to put gravel down sides of path and compact with compactor. But there’s cleanup if can’t leave there ( maybe charge for reinforce driveway?)

Other option is to just use the driveway and repair any damage with grout if they werent that good condition anyway. But grout costs too and there is time involved.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're right to be concerned about the concrete drive edges.
Several years ago my concrete street was redone. (just some of the sections)
The contractor drove an excavator along the edges, hoping to avoid disfiguring the existing concrete. Many, many cracks.

Maybe 2x8 hardwood beams along the edges ?

NashvilleTN

Not being dramatic at all. Yes plywood slides, particlularly if damp, especially if algae on driveway.

Could risk drilling rope holes and tying them to anchor at top if available. Or could belay the vehicle on way down for safety if serious anchor available.

What I have done in past (as don’t like using slip plates when trucks involved) is to use sandbags over the edges as a ‘road’. But costs as often damage the bags, and the time to fill, have to get fill on occasions if unavail on site etc

I have also reinforced a precarious bridge to get a picker over it with three layers of sandbags so wouldn’t point load bridge with tyres.

You can’t get up a track of sandbags though, they will bog down or cut up with wheel rotation if hill that steep.

Other option if have tools is to put gravel down sides of path and compact with compactor. But there’s cleanup if can’t leave there ( maybe charge for reinforce driveway?)

Other option is to just use the driveway and repair any damage with grout if they werent that good condition anyway. But grout costs too and there is time involved.
I like the idea of belaying it down. I don’t think that would take much time to set up. I’m sure it doesn’t need much. Maybe just an f350 and a porta wrap at the top of the drive way would be fine.

NashvilleTN

Whatever you do, get a waiver too.
I was putting off even sending this bid out because even with that plywood I feel I might crack the driveway and did not explain that to them that as a possibility. I cracked my first sidewalk, the customer didn’t care as it was already in ruins but I was not anticipating it and it was a startling awakening. I should have thought of this on the spot and if they were cool with it great. If not, it’s not worth taking a chance

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Maybe just an f350 and a porta wrap at the top of the drive way would be fine.
If you go with this park the truck sideways to the drive. Use webbing to wrap around the frame for your anchor.

Even if you didn't talk about cracking the drive when you initially met there's nothing wrong with bringing it up later. It won't come off like bait and switch.

Chaplain242

I like the idea of belaying it down. I don’t think that would take much time to set up. I’m sure it doesn’t need much. Maybe just an f350 and a porta wrap at the top of the drive way would be fine.
If using vehicle, make sure is secured with another rope to anchor beyond it, or bog/dig the tyres in, keep in gear, and in 4wd if have it. I would do with person in control of anchor vehicle too.

I have gone for a slide with a truck before and it is not fun. Not fun at all...

treebilly

If you’re worried about the plywood sliding, I’ve been known to drive some long barn spikes through the sheets to help. Tires on wet plywood I can’t offer advise on.

The spike trick works great for when you pull a fence post and need to drag brush over the hole as well. Keeps ankles from breaking and the hole from filling in