PGRs for Sweet Gums

TsugaPHC

I know, I know...Snipper or similar chems to prevent gum ball formation on Liquidamber is pretty much a waste of time, but I have a client who is insistent that I give it a shot. Does anyone have any idea what the growing degree day target would be for treatment? JD, I’m looking at you...

JD3000

Most well-known member
I've heard good things about Pinscher injections. If I recall, sweetgum calls for a late summer/early autumn injection but I believe the first year may also require a spring injection for optimal results.

Floral sprays can work but timing is super critical.

No good GDD info off the top of my head.

TsugaPHC

Waaay too big to effectively do a canopy spray of Florel. Any idea if there’s literature about the fall injections?

JD3000

Most well-known member
Just things Ive heard. There could be studies but I'm unaware cuz I never really care about fruit control. Always referred someone else for that work.

TsugaPHC

Had an interesting conversation with my ultra-knowledgeable chem supplier yesterday. Apparently Atrimmec is labeled for fruit elimination in addition to being a growth inhibitor, and can be applied as a trunk spray. I’m not super optimistic that it would work, but I may buy some to play with on sweet gums. The key is still applying just before bloom. Still trying to figure out when that is...

Had an interesting conversation with my ultra-knowledgeable chem supplier yesterday. Apparently Atrimmec is labeled for fruit elimination in addition to being a growth inhibitor, and can be applied as a trunk spray. I’m not super optimistic that it would work, but I may buy some to play with on sweet gums. The key is still applying just before bloom. Still trying to figure out when that is...
FYI - I've tried Atrimmec bark sprays on crabapple and cottonwood trees and it didn't work

bwhaler

I have done a little research and found Snipper. Anybody used it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reach

I have done a little research and found Snipper. Anybody used it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I have used it, and it will work, but you have a REALLY narrow effective application window to get good results. Like a two-day window, I believe.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
Always remember that your ultra-knowledgeable chem suppliers first and foremost mandate is to sell you something. I'd much rather look for some peer reviewed university research on the topic.