Petzl Pantin Question

Discussion in 'Climber's Talk' started by Jim, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Well-Known Member

Yesterday I SRT'ed up using my VT and pantin.

Today I used my pantin, CMI ropewalker and CMI expedition ascender.

Ascending on a VT is fine assuming its not too long to grab. The problem with your hitch not grabbing isnt that its being used in SRT, its that the tress cord is too long.

I have also ascended many times using only the CMI rope walker with or without a hitch backup.

2. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Administrator

Keeping the rope tailed correctly helps. I like to have the rope just behind my ankle bone. Keep the stirrup snug and the ankle strap snug too. I replaced the buckle pieces with a metal clasp. Much easier to attach especially with winter glvoes no.

There are pics of my ascent system here somewhere. The Rocker attaches to my frnot d with a biner. Attached to the same biner is a sling that goes up to a Microcender. The redunancy isn't complete because both attachements are to the biner on my front ring on my bridge. I'm perfectly comfortable with counting this as redundant though.

Teh Trango Cinch has promise as a lower attachment too.

3. charlieb

charlieb New Member

If anyone is interested finally here's my solution to the inadvertent opening of the Pantin.
    As posted earlier, I used heavy industrial Velcro to keep the cam closed and that makes it infinitely adjustable, won't stretch when wet and is very easy to remove when in the tree.
    Happy climbin/pantin,
    CharlieB.

Attached Files:

Tom Dunlap likes this.
  4. charlieb

charlieb New Member

Here's the backside photo.

Attached Files:

5. Jim

Jim New Member

Charlieb, looks good. That would make it adjustable for different size line. I like that. What size rivet did you use?

Thanks,
    Jim

6. John@TreeXP

John@TreeXP Member

I had a unfortunate incident occur a few days ago, using my Pantin with the optional Catch clip. Seems I got a bit too excited, using my new Croll, a Camp right hand ascender, the Pantin and the Haas and ascended a bit higher than I should have. I was climbing solo, connected securely and ascending very smoothly, when I realized, I should have practiced a few low and slow change-overs, switching to a Rig to descend and/or maneuver. Sadly, after I disconnected from the Croll and foot/knee ascenders, and after threading the Rig on my harness's side D ring, I reconnected my Pantin, stepped up unweighted my self from the hand ascender and onto the Rig, only to suddenly realize I hadn't moved the threaded Rig onto my floating bridge's o-ring. The result was that my Pantin slid up the line, leaving no room for me to unweight the Pantin and remove it from the climbing line. The Rig turned me sideways and had no where to go accept into the Pantin I had locked into. I was left hanging below my waist connection with my right foot stuck at eye level. I couldn't remove the Pantin or the foot strap, so I finally had to cut off the foot strap to the Pantin while mid-line, but only after I was able to regain a stable footing after what felt like an exhausting ordeal. Luckily my wife was in the vicinity and I was still low enough to reach a ladder which she leaned up against the tree to facilitate my self-rescue.

For the record, I had a cell phone handy, along with my rape whistle, so I never felt I was in mortal danger, but the experience was extremely humbling. I also had a basal tie in, using a Rescue8, for a ground rescue option, which my wife temporarily knows nothing about. As such, I now see the wisdom of not installing Pantin's optional "Catch", as it can be a bear to remove in accidental situations like this. Furthermore, I see the wisdom of practicing low and slow, ingraining these switch-over maneuvers into muscle memory, as well as practicing foot grab, the kick out maneuver and practice to avoid stupid mistakes like this in the future.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    colb and Tom Dunlap like this.
  7. yoyoman

yoyoman Well-Known Member

Glad it worked out. I have with me always a hand ascender, (Kong Futura because it's not life support and it's compact) and a Revolver. In a situation that you discussed I can attache it above what I'm stuck on, use my lanyard and make a 6:1 to lift me out of anything with just one hand.
    Be safe.

colb likes this.
  8. Huskyman

Huskyman Active Member