Petzl Minder intended uses

WTreeB2500

I had an employee who has been here for 6 months, who I consider a very knowledgeable tree man. I had to question his use of the Petzl Minder, I found that he was using it for top down rigging as a block for lowering limbs. The research that I did, I found it to be used in different industries for rescues. Yes its WLL is 4kN on a single side and the eye is rated at 8 kN & weights 12 oz, and that is labeled as "highly efficient Prusik pulley". He is using a shackle with WLL of 2T for a connecting link to a Tenex sling, which makes its total weight 1.38 lbs with out the sling. When looking online I see that people are using the Minder for mechanical advantage, redirects, etc but not directly as a lowering block. I feel that there are small blocks on the market that weigh less with a higher WLL and are intended for lowering. What is every ones feelings & thoughts on this?

Attachments

Last edited:

RBJtree

Although it's not the pulleys intended use, as long as he is staying within the working load of the pulley, I don't see a safety issue. However, 4 kn is not a whole lot in the tree rigging department. Sounds like one of those situations where I would be comfortable doing it myself, but if it was one of my employees, I would want them to use a stronger block. Maybe buy something like this for him to use:
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=235&item=17512

Crimsonking

As the owner, definitely stay on top of it. I would acknowledge your respect for his skill and understanding, then offer the block that RBJ linked.

Two reasons- first, it can be tempting to risk a heavier load rather than switch hardware while working, and 4kn is only about 900 lbs total force.

Second, what you allow one person to use, other, less-skilled employees will unwittingly abuse.

Keeping dialogue going about equipment, their uses, and the forces involved is a great way to stay on top of things. Also, if you can win this climber to building more safety margin into his work, it will influence the rest of your team. If he sees his choices as a place of influence, and understands your vision for equipment use on your team, he will be more likely to take a leadership role in promoting your desires.

WTreeB2500

Thank you Crimsonking, agreed. Thank you for your thoughts.

RBJtree that was the block that I thought better suited what he was trying to do and make use of. Thanks for your reply.

TimberJack

Blocks are for rigging pulleys are for pulling. That dainty little dmm and petzl minder are not design for shock loads associated with dynamic rigging. We all know that eventually the rigging changes from static to dynamic scenarios up in the tree and any weight/ time saved by using sub par gear is lost when you have to pull up real rigging. If your company does not have policies in place to protect your liability from the miss use of equipment now might be a good time to look into some.