In the coming weeks, I will be posting photos and information on the many Tree-Mek builds we have completed here at Tiffin Palfleet.

Palfleet developed this package design a few years back with the help of Bob Montgomery of Montgomery Tree and Stump as well as Glenn Gerasimek of Gerasimek and Sons Tree Services.

Mr. Montgomery contacted me with the initial design requirements comprised of a cab-over vehicle, short wheelbase - resulting in a tight turning radius, short flatbed, 90' vertical reach K-boom, compact overall package (26' maximum) all while maintaining 360 degree 100% stability. After a few days at the drawing board we came up with a design. After negotiations we built the first ultra-short tree care K-boom package, with great success.

Once in service, Mr. Gerasimek approached me about building an identical package (not knowing we just built one for Montgomery). I showed the design of the Montgomery truck to Glenn and put the two in contact with one another. Quickly Glenn agreed this was the package to build and at that point let me in on the crown jewel that we were not aware of - the Mecanil Grapple Saw. Once I realized the potential that a K-boom combined with this tool was capable of, we were more than happy to incorporate it into the build.

Upon completion of the Gerasimek unit, Bob Montgomery quickly realized the advantages and approached us to convert his crane to accept it. We accepted the challenge and made the conversion. Both operations have been using the machines since and are extremely happy with the performance.

We have since produced 14 complete units with excellent feedback on the product. Let me be clear - mating the grapple with the crane hasn't been easy, as we initially found and resolved hydraulic issues, electrical issues, fitment issues, etc. That said however, we have worked through each issue diligently, as customer service is our utmost priority - which our existing customers will verify. Further, we have 46 Palfleet-employed mobile service technicians with fully outfitted trucks throughout the US who are ready and willing to make necessary repairs at your location.

We take our Mecanil dealership very seriously. Upon the initial contract agreement, we placed an order for $6,000 worth of Mecanil parts which we keep security stock levels of - meaning parts will be there when you need them. Additionally, we stock several Mecanil grapples in our inventory and are very familiar with troubleshooting and repair when necessary. Lets face it ... machines will eventually fail, which is acceptable as long as they can repaired quickly. This is an understanding and follow through that we proud to be capable of.

With all that being said, I invite you to follow the thread, enjoy the information and feel free to comment at any time.

Last edited:

frashdog

Nice work!
I remember a few years ago when the grapple saw came out...I thought it was a big deal.

What is the deal with warranty? Term on whole crane or just what parts?

Do you sell the truck too, or does the customer just bring you a truck?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Gerasimek

Nice work!
I remember a few years ago when the grapple saw came out...I thought it was a big deal.

What is the deal with warranty? Term on whole crane or just what parts?

Do you sell the truck too, or does the customer just bring you a truck?

Thanks!
I know a guy whose boss saw my video and said it was 'the dumbest thing he'd ever seen'. This guy quit working for that boss, started his own business, and built a tree-mek. Now he's taking trees down with a remote. Pretty awesome.
I'm sure happy with the unit Palfleet built for me and I know every guy that now operates one will never go back to the 'old way'.
If you have seen every video clip and word written about the tree-mek and you have a hard time sleeping at night because it's all you can think about, then I'd say you have everything in common with those of us that own one.

Jerad Oren

There is few things that come along that can change how work is done so drastically. Most of the time it's been subtle changes that matter little to efficiency of tree work. To an owner this has the capability to allow the highest quality and safest tree work. All the while at the speed of two full crews at a quarter of the manpower. Yes I will stand behind that statement.

We need not worry of putting any qualified people out of work, finding someone to hire is harder than tree work itself.

I know Jason at Palfleet and the others in the industry have worked hard to bring this from seed. I used to climb everything and my sleep suffered because of it. I enjoy tree work again and don't rely on so many people for our success. If anyone would like to see one in action you can contact Jason or the other builders and they can connect you with one of us.

Last edited:

tex-moto

With the counterweight they have to add for the 360deg stability I don't think there's much headroom for additional weight of chipbox or carrying logs on the bed