Pain on Gaffs

Raven27

So recently, last year or so I can't be on my spike more the am hour and a half or so on removals. My heels get incredibly painful , sometimes my Claves too. I decided months ago to by the platforms you can put on the steel gaffs, they helped a bit, but I did a fast removal Sunday, wasn't even in the tree 2 hours on them and when I got down it took a good 10 minutes before I could walk right, pain was nuts. I try to sit on my climbing line for relief as much as possible, but once down to the spar, not much of that to do. I do have pretty crap gaffs ,but I don't know of getting really good ones will help because it seems to be an issue of the part my foot is on. I'm on Carolina or Chippewa loggers. Amy suggestions? Anyone else have this happen and what did you do? We recently bought a bucket truck so I won't have to do as many trees on them, but o will still have to.

rico

You need boots built for climbing in Spurs. Something with a serious shank in the insole.
Hoffman Boots- Powerline, Pole Climbers, or their modified Meindle's. Beautiful made in the USA boots that simply kick ass in gaffs!
La Sportiva Makalu's- A mountaineering boot made for ice/crampon climbing. Unbelievably supportive and comfy boot for gaffs. My personal favorite lately.

DSMc

Intense pain in the heal is almost always associated with the Plantar tendon. Lack of support from your boots and spurs will expose any weakness in this area. You can alleviate the symptoms with better gear but don't ignore the underlying condition.
Just because a boot looks like a logger/lineman does not make it one. Get good boots, logger or hiker style and spend the money on good spurs.

rico

How can people wear mountaineering boots in the heat of the summer?
After 40 years and thousands of hours climbing in spurs, wearing everything from Chuck Taylor's, duck-taped together cowboy boots, to $650 White Lines-men boots, I can say that the La Sportiva Makalu's are the most comfy climbing boots I have ever worn. True all day, year round comfort in spurs!

rico

Thanks, but no sweaty feet for me. I have been wearing 16" linesmen boots for decades, but haven't put them on since discovering the Malaku's. Super light and non bulky. Highly recommended.

Maybe try different pads with more calf support. I have a set of old buckingham spurs with big pads and it helps. I also get plantar tendon pain and I think more supportive pad would help. Also check the angle they are at and make sure the mechanics of how they move matches how you move. The best relief I ever got was from leaving my spurs on the ground, not always an option.

Merle Nelson

Borrow climbers for a climb before you buy. I found cheap steel climbers to give me some contact pain when I first started climbing and then tried Bashlins and had zero problems with them. Using Alco Caddy pads now.

If you were able to isolate it to muscle/tendon pain (stand balancing yourself on the edge of metal/board the same width as your spurs) you can clear that up with movements covered in a book called, Somatics by Thomas Hanna. For video info look up, essentialsomatics.com, by Martha Peterson.

I had a similar problem awhile back. I switched out the factory straps to some wider Velcro straps sold on Treestuff. Not sure if they still have em

Yes. Mostly on the back of the heel. I probably had them too tight, but with the wider straps, you can have them tight and not sacrifice comfort

macswan

Intense pain in the heal is almost always associated with the Plantar tendon. Lack of support from your boots and spurs will expose any weakness in this area. You can alleviate the symptoms with better gear but don't ignore the underlying condition.
Just because a boot looks like a logger/lineman does not make it one. Get good boots, logger or hiker style and spend the money on good spurs.
A friend has plantar fasciitis which results in intense heel pain. I would agree the tendon is definitely involved with what ravens got going on.

Lots of stretching.