Omni Block Failure

JeffGu

Every piece of equipment needs to be inspected before you use it. I can't think of any that I have that don't mention this in the documentation, but it's certainly mentioned on here a lot and elsewhere. The OmniBlock is no different.

OmniBlock.png

I usually inspect my stuff as I'm putting it away, so I don't worry so much about it when I start a job, but it needs to be done, at one end of the job or the other. These blocks are rebuildable. If you want to be able to replace worn out parts on an expensive tool, there has to be a way to take it apart, and you need to keep an eye on it to make sure none of it gets loose.

I'm rather amazed at how people will complain about throwaway products that can't be repaired, but think a well made product that can be repaired is defective, somehow, if parts designed to be removable come loose with constant use and abuse. These are great pulleys... the complexity of making them rebuildable and midline attachable means you have to inspect them more often and tighten up anything that gets loose.

Of course, if you don't ever read the documentation, you won't notice that this is actually mentioned in there.

Stephen Moore

I think critical components that will seriously effect the safe operation of a device need to be captive or require the user to physically touch and inspect before the device can be operated. An example is the push twist lock on and large pulley. Or the red paint on the threads of a screw lock beener gate. I t forces the user to focus on that component each time they use it.

SingleJack

IMO - I don't think dropping loads into Omni-Blocks is the issue. It is certain that constant inspection is required with these blocks, like any gear in this industry. The swivel is intended *ONLY* for aligning the block with the load. I'm convinced that allowing repetitive loads to spin the swivel, under load, will cause this type of failure and is specifically dis-avowed in the tech spec. I believe Rock Exotica blocks are well engineered. What we have now seen are the limits of how they should *not* be used.

My intent with these photo's is to alert users to the necessity for proper inspection and proper use. I have 5 Omni's and 2 shackle swivels, love them and will continue to use them according to RE guidelines.

theatertech87

I think critical components that will seriously effect the safe operation of a device need to be captive or require the user to physically touch and inspect before the device can be operated. An example is the push twist lock on and large pulley. Or the red paint on the threads of a screw lock beener gate. I t forces the user to focus on that component each time they use it.
In this case that would be happening. There should have been tactile contact with that pulley at least once in order to use it. You have multiple times to check, when it's being attached to the sling, when the sling is being attached to the tree, when the rope is inserted into the pulley. Any of these require direct contact with that pulley and a failure of this nature should have been noticable

SingleJack

In this case that would be happening. There should have been tactile contact with that pulley at least once in order to use it. You have multiple times to check, when it's being attached to the sling, when the sling is being attached to the tree, when the rope is inserted into the pulley. Any of these require direct contact with that pulley and a failure of this nature should have been noticable
I certainly agree that it should have been noticed. But, it should be understood that this incident was not mine. I'm just sharing photo's that were shared with me as 'heads-up'. It is my understanding that the Omni-Block was set at a stationary high rigging point. Several pieces were rigged down in series without repeatedly going back to that rigging point. So, this appears to have been a progressive failure was not inspected or noticed until the block had to be reset for another rigging series. I'm just thankful that it was noticed in time so there was no injury or damage. This is a very good reminder to inspect everything, all the time.

JeffGu

...good reminder to inspect everything, all the time...
For sure. I clean everything up when I get home, because I can't stand leaving stuff filthy. Best time for me to look over the stuff real good. I can see where you'd want to do it at the start of work, if you don't know who did what with it since you saw it last, but for me I know when I get it out and it still smells like PineSol, I didn't forget to look it over. The exception is whatever climbing device I'm using. I always look that over real good before I put it on the line.

I have a bunch of the OmniBlock pulleys, myself. I love the things. But, they have more parts than a simple block, so I really watch them. They're also expensive as hell, so I'm motivated to keep them clean, lubed and working right.