Nutrition

andrus kokerov

How meny of you guys follow a strict diet? Or you just eat what you get and work hard? Thinking of getting a plan from a personal trainer. Would like to get a bit lighter but sometimes my eating is messed up. Depends what im working on. Can happen that i miss my prelunch snack and sometimes even lunch. That dosent do eny good...maybe a plan would force me more. Eny experience?

Andrus

I find myself on a schedule similar to yours. Sort of eat when you can. I can say that what/when I do eat, it is healthy, high quality food.
I don't like the schedule but I do believe there are benefits to it. Fasting requires the cells in our bodies to fully expel all remaining nutrients. Allowing what we intake to fully be absorbed. I am really never sick, feel very little lingering pain from older broken bones (neck).
I weigh about 165 to 170.
I cannot move the scale off 170 (want to tho) but will drop weight when my diet changes. I drink alot of water, beer..stay away from sugar...keep climbing!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dblehron

Find out how many calories you burn in a day with an online calculator, decide on a macro nutrient split, and experiment until you find something that works.

I put on 24 pounds with my winter bulk which did wonders for my numbers in the gym, dropped 12 pounds for summer and I'm currently in the process of putting it back on.

andrus kokerov

Was thinking off that the other day if enybody has measured how much calories they burn when climbing? My weight hasent changed for a long time. Im between 88-91kg (194-200pounds) all year round.

Dblehron

Trying to count calories while climbing or excersizing proves to be unreliable. Find a ballpark number and add/subtract your caloric intake until you reach your desired outcome.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

fall_risk

I follow what might be called a paleo or primal lifestyle, in a non-dogmatic, 80/20, relaxed kind of way. It's a little bit self-regulating, because if I get off-track, I feel like crap. I also have problems with digestion and heartburn if I don't eat well, that's what originally got me reading about this stuff years ago. I am happier, feel better, and easier to get along with, when I eat high quality food.

I think that any plan which focus on the quantity of food eaten, whether by calorie, serving, block, etc...is unsustainable over the long haul at best, and a recipe for disordered eating and stress at worst. Humans survived for eons with nothing but hunger and thirst to guide portion control, and I find that when I'm eating high quality food, it's very hard to over-eat, in fact, sometimes it's hard to eat enough. Crap food, however, is hard not to over-eat.

I know "lifestyle" is kind of a gross word - some people use "template", which is hardly better, but it really is about how we live. Sleep, stress, socialization, activity/exercise (we've mostly got that covered, no thanks to Reg, Paul Cox, Kevin Bingham, etc), sun exposure (no problems there, either, especially for Swing), it all affects how we eat, and is in turn affected by how we eat.

These sites/people have been very useful to me for nutrition advice, among other things:
Chris Kresser
Robb Wolf
Mark Sisson
Jordan Reasoner
Johnny Pain
John Kiefer
Dallas Hartwig

This is a pretty good summary from Mark Sisson:

I follow what might be called a paleo or primal lifestyle, in a non-dogmatic, 80/20, relaxed kind of way. It's a little bit self-regulating, because if I get off-track, I feel like crap. I also have problems with digestion and heartburn if I don't eat well, that's what originally got me reading about this stuff years ago. I am happier, feel better, and easier to get along with, when I eat high quality food.

I think that any plan which focus on the quantity of food eaten, whether by calorie, serving, block, etc...is unsustainable over the long haul at best, and a recipe for disordered eating and stress at worst. Humans survived for eons with nothing but hunger and thirst to guide portion control, and I find that when I'm eating high quality food, it's very hard to over-eat, in fact, sometimes it's hard to eat enough. Crap food, however, is hard not to over-eat.

I know "lifestyle" is kind of a gross word - some people use "template", which is hardly better, but it really is about how we live. Sleep, stress, socialization, activity/exercise (we've mostly got that covered, no thanks to Reg, Paul Cox, Kevin Bingham, etc), sun exposure (no problems there, either, especially for Swing), it all affects how we eat, and is in turn affected by how we eat.

These sites/people have been very useful to me for nutrition advice, among other things:
Chris Kresser
Robb Wolf
Mark Sisson
Jordan Reasoner
Johnny Pain
John Kiefer
Dallas Hartwig

This is a pretty good summary from Mark Sisson:
this is where i found paleo/primal a few years back. IT WORKS. Later, i got an app for my phone, DietPoint, which has several hundred different diet plans including shopping lists and scheduled reminders to eat. I chose one of the paleo plans and stuck to it for about 8 months and lost 25-30 pounds JUST THROUGH FOOD ALONE, no exercise, and kept it off, mostly... i did gain back some weight in muscle though. When i started climbing, biceps appeared overnight almost... when i get back into my routine and start climbing MORE, my fat to muscle weight ratio WILL change. At 5'6
" i weigh in at about 200 pounds now. When actively watching my nutrition, i was down to about 190 FROM 220 this time last year.

All i can say is FOLLOW THROUGH and work on your core as much as everything else, if not more.