notch triple thimble

Jehinten

Initial thoughts on the triple thimble: it's a little bigger than I imagined, which isn't a bad thing. I tried pulling a short length of 3/4" rope through all 3 holes and I was able to easily pull through with one hand. So there's not too much friction when there is not a load on it. I also have no fear of it slipping out of the sling, as the possibility was previously mentioned earlier. The 3/4" that I am splicing into it completely fits in the groove, no rope bulging out like on certain rings. All of that said I haven't spliced it, or put it to use yet, this is just my opinion after opening the box. I'll add more to it after I give it some use.

Jehinten

I have only used ABR rings and now this triple thimble, so I don' have exact measurements or experience with any other brands. But I've seen pics of other rings where the host rope is sticking out past the aluminum. I don't think it would ever lead to the ring falling out, unless the splice was too loose. But personally I like it when it looks like it fits properly. Here is one example how the O.D. of the eye is bigger than the O.D. of the ring on the left. There are other slings that show it more, that's just a quick example.

I do not see it causing a problem being like in the picture, it's just a personal preference.

Attachments

Jehinten

I used it for the first time the other day on a multi stem birch removal, we tried using all three holes and then added a quick natural crotch redirect for better rope placement. With the one redirect it was very hard to pull the rope through, as previously mentioned we should have accounted for it and used less thimble. As we progressed we no longer needed the redirect and it was much smoother. Using just it, and adding a porta wrap as needed for trunk wood.

Overall I liked it, although I will be avoiding natural crotch with it the next time I need a rigging redirect.

Don't have it right here, if you thread it as shown on TS., the top hole bends the rope continuously around 200'-220' maybe, around the radius of half the thickness of the unit, so I believe R=17.5mm.
The load is braked a bit before that bend takes place though.

In some cases I think bend radius can't be used alone to assess rope-friendliness.
For example look at the belay spool. It's a square bollard with radiused corners. Some would say its 'effective' bend radius is the corner radius, but each bend is only 90', and between the bends there are straight runs to spread the strain over. What if it had 8 or more corners with the same radius? It becomes closer to a round bollard, and the effect on the rope does too, I'd wager. If so, the 'effective' radius for the BS is somewhere between the bollard 'radius' and the corner radius.

Any more reviews? What kind of sling are you using?
I have mine spliced as a thimble prussik that I use with a rigging ring and ring. Ground guy likes it more than the rigging wrench (that has a bit of wobble and doesn't always pull slack nicely). My only complaint is it isn't mid line attachable (loading rope into it can be a bit of a pain though no worse than using rings)

Flex Abednego

I have mine spliced as a thimble prussik that I use with a rigging ring and ring. Ground guy likes it more than the rigging wrench (that has a bit of wobble and doesn't always pull slack nicely). My only complaint is it isn't mid line attachable (loading rope into it can be a bit of a pain though no worse than using rings)
Any pictures?
Id like to find avideo of it in use if anyone has any links

Jehinten

I've rigged mine into a dead eye sling with 3/4 Stable braid. I just used it the other day on a storm damage job with two lowering lines running through it. Worked great to give us good control of the piece coming down.

Flex Abednego

I do a lot of natural crotch rigging, a wrap or two on the stub and let it run type stuff. But it would be nice to not pitch my lines so much. Do you ever use it that way?