notch triple thimble

Jehinten

Who here has used the triple thimble from Notch? I have always had an interest in the safebloc but haven't tried it. Now I have a section of 3/4" stable braid to splice into a sling and this new thimble has caught my attention. I like the versatility of options such as running two separate rigging lines through it as pictured. upload_2018-3-16_14-35-18.jpg

So has anyone here used it, and what were your thoughts?

deevo

Who here has used the triple thimble from Notch? I have always had an interest in the safebloc but haven't tried it. Now I have a section of 3/4" stable braid to splice into a sling and this new thimble has caught my attention. I like the versatility of options such as running two separate rigging lines through it as pictured. View attachment 50224

So has anyone here used it, and what were your thoughts?
I’ve been using it right since it’s come out, way better then the safebloc, more control and can take bigger pieces with this over the safebloc, we use 1/2 Yale polydyne. I haven’t used my safebloc since I got this. You won’t be disappointed!

rope-a-dope

I used one with @Crimsonking a number of times, climbing and running ropes. Its pretty sweet. Variable friction options make it useful for light to med/heavy duty. Best for rigging with a crew of 2, climber can take over rope control while groundy receives limb. When using all 3 holes, rope can still be pulled back up without breaking sweat and stays hanging where you leave it. Super smooth, zero hockles.
We never tried anything super clever or tricky, but the options are there to get really creative.

Jehinten

Sounds like it will be a good fit for me. Most jobs there is just two of us, and we either use the porta wrap for everything including small stuff or we get the rig-n-wrench.

I like the option of taking over up in the tree with the aerial friction.

Treetopflyer

Using a floating block or ring can severely reduce need for friction through mechanical advantage. You will be amazed at how much reeving the line and what your ground help then you up in tree can handle weight wise with a light grip. Not taking anything away from this product, which actually looks quite fascinating for the floating rigging point span rigging I love.

deevo

Deevo would you like to sell your Safebloc?
I would but to ship it out there from Canada would likely cost quite a bit, with free shipping from Treestuff it’ll probably be just the same as buying a new one. Not that I don’t wanna sell it to you or anything like that

Crimsonking

While I’ve improvised other aerial friction, I think the triple thimble is best I’ve used. After a while, I’ve learned a formula, as well. Depending on the number of holes you plan to use, subtract one for each x-ring redirect- if you plan on all three holes for max friction, and have another ring (emphasis on ring, pulleys don’t factor in), only use two holes in the thimble. I’ve learned the hard way. Also, to make sure your rope doesn’t hockle, don’t tie it to the next piece till the majority of slack is already pulled out. Hockling has primarily been an issue with 16 strand in my experience.

Recently I took down a magnificent walnut :(, and used the triple thimble as the main friction. We added a rescue 8 for the big wood and were able to take pieces that maxed out my comfort level for the rope. I’ve since added a portawrap to my arsenal, but with the TT in play, it won’t get a lot of use.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
@Crimsonking

I found the BMS Belay Spool and came to
The same conclusions.

If we needed a little more friction we'd add a half wrap to a trunk rather than bother with an F8 or bollard

If the triple is used can you alternate ends of the rope to eliminate/reduce hockling?

Newb with TT here. 67 year old lady could catch everything I dropped on it, which was up to, I guess 150-200 kg. And that was with 7.5mm Mammut Twilight. Said it was easy.
I also used it as a pulling block for mechanical advantage, nice having three thimbles spread out like that.

I would run 3 or 1 times through, but I would not dare using 2 passes, because then the rope comes out on the same side as it entered and in my imagination the load could tug the TT out of the sling. Maybe later will I try it if you experienced guys all do it. I'ts a pretty deep groove, and with a good tight splice maybe it's safe.

I've ran it through lower hole, then upper then other lower. It is then symmetric so using both ends of the rope works the same. I don't know if that reduces hockling because I didn't notice any hockle yet.

Last edited:

Crimsonking

@Crimsonking

I found the BMS Belay Spool and came to
The same conclusions.

If we needed a little more friction we'd add a half wrap to a trunk rather than bother with an F8 or bollard

If the triple is used can you alternate ends of the rope to eliminate/reduce hockling?
Tom, I suppose it could help. Honestly, most of the hockling happened on the climber’s end, and was easily avoided if I just let the rope rotate while pulled up until it was close to me. I never saw a hockle on the ground side, but I didn’t pay much attention either, as I’ve been blessed with sharp ground help who are or have been climbers.

RopeShield

Crimsonking

Ropeshield, what I like about spar work with the TT is not needing to stow the rope. Tie a slip or tuck the tail under the rope between holes, then clip sling and all, still threaded, to your saddle to rappell down. Only thing to manage is untying/retying the sling.

Jehinten

Well, I went ahead and ordered it. $115 after tax with a discount code. Once I get the triple thimble I will get it spliced into my 3/4 stable braid and then put it to use.

More than likely it will get used with 1/2" stable braid the most, but I'll test it out with true blue and Hawkeye 16 strand as well. Just to see which rope it likes the best.