notch jet step

Notch Equipment

Well, either way, the cat is out of the bag, but seemingly sooner that what we were ready for. We’re really excited to be partnering with Harken on this new project, but we’re still finalizing all the details. We’ll keep everyone posted in the upcoming months on further developments.

RopeShield

Well what is it? Twin toothless cams or toothed cams.
Notch can you get anything right? Pic shows one thing and description says another.
Looks very snag-able.

ATH

Notch can you get anything right? Pic shows one thing and description says another.
Looks very snag-able.
The Notch poster did say they weren't ready for public release...so perhaps that photo isn't the final product.

treebing

15246184763071473249154.jpg these are not teeth that can pick and snare a rope. they are pretty rope friendly. not sharp at all. I haven't had a problem with snagging. they are a bit bigger than the ct. but not heavier. you do not need rope weight to have this thing go up the rope. first step up it does not bring the rope up with it. I don't like the idea of green anything because I mostly work on lawns.

Notch Equipment

Looks very snag-able.
Sorry for the confusion. I can see how that angle of the photo doesn’t make it clear that those aren’t teeth. Kevin’s photo shows a better angle. (Thanks Kevin!)

To answer your follow up question: YES, we’re getting a lot of stuff right, and are dedicated to continuing to do so. Thank you for the support!

RopeShield

They are teeth. What planet are you on?
Snagable hooks on the device is simply wrong for a device for in the tree work. The bits on the body not the cam to be more specific.
:lol:

RopeShield

Care to articulate why?
I've only used the Petzl pantin with smallish accessory biner to lock cam in place. I mostlty climb on 10.5 Teufelberger Platinum
  • Rope clips in easily, cam pivots over-rope clips in and is held firmly when foot orientation is in line with the rope
  • rope disengages easily with simple movements
  • there is some slip and grab which I find annoying but accept that for the ease it takes to disengage and engage when needed
@treebing would you make a rr or rw with hooks/fairleads to snag, catch stuff or bend or bust off? No? so why would you with a foot ascender.
I can make most anything work, including the worlds most dangerous throw weight :baaa:
I'll give it a try if the chance presents itself. Nice looking tool either way. Best of luck with it @Notch Equipment who ever you are:inocente:

Last edited:

Brocky

Hmmmm? A Rope Runner foot ascender? With the ridges, I don't see a problem with snagging. The bars are long enough so the rope won't slid off on to the edges. I wondered how big it would be with two cams, so thanks for the size description Kevin.

treebing

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh_tF0IBOQt/

this is the best thing about it for me. pretty much zero drag. I haven't had a problem with snagging although another tester did. its a kick out style. but harder to kick out than the pantin. it almost takes two feet for me. I can almost kick in. not efficiently yet. but if I wiggle my feet around enough I can get in handless. it is on the bulkier side is its only downside. but not exesively so. there are no latches or locks to break. its a fairly simple thing. the strapping design is great. it keeps the ascender lower and flatter to my foot and doesn't seem to ride up to my ankles. it feels stable steping into it. I am hoping the production has tougher material because I am wearing through my strapping from walking around on the ground too much. it makes a double clikity clak sound which is great and rhythmically out does the single cam ascender s when walking around the gas station.

JeffGu

One could certainly argue that some animals (horses, camels, rhinoceros) have teeth that have parallel ridges like that... but in every at-height industry I'm aware of, only the devices with conical, pointed teeth are called "toothed" devices.

The ridges are much more rope friendly. More prone to slipping on a drop, but that's really not an issue with a foot ascender. A drop doesn't shred the sheath like a toothed ascender, and all but one rope I tested, they just slide down the rope and bunch up or wrinkle the sheath a little. I use one of the ridged cam rope grabs for a backup when testing some equipment for dismantling ham radio towers, and can attest to their habit of very rarely doing any rope damage.

Seems like a better cam design for a foot ascender, to me.