Nifty Lift

Lumberjack

Compact Equipment Store.com LLC/I am Nifty Lift's newest dealer. Before I became a dealer, I bought a SD64 from another dealer (paid regular street price) for Rutherford Contracting LLC (RC, my working company). I have a SD50 and SD64 on order, they should be here in 1 and 3 months respectively. I order a TM50 (trailer mounted 50' platform height lift) as well.

Here's the first published video I've published. I'll be adding more as time goes along as well as other videos catering to RC.

Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 10.26.36 PM.png
Call or text any time!
662-251-8686

climbhightree

Couple questions

I've rented a similar model made by bil-jax, and my two main complaints on them is they run on battery (even if motor is on), and they can't setup on much of a slope.

So how do these run always through battery, or can they run via motor once batteries are dead? Can they be setup on a slight hillside? Cost for the sd64?

Lumberjack

The SD64 only runs off the engine, which is a 32.5hp naturally aspirated Kubota diesel. The only battery is for cranking the engine. The SD50 is available as a battery only, gas or diesel only, or a bi-energy/hybrid.

The SD64 is rated to set up (without cribbing) on an 11-12* slope. The manual requires the tires to be off the ground and the machine be within 3* of level.

Common out the door pricing ranged from $92.5k-$97k when I bough mine. I am at $92.5k, and I include a set of 24" square outrigger pads by DICA/Alturna. I don't have the advertising exposure of the big three dealers, but my goal is to offer more complete product knowledge, service, and access before and after the sale... be the dealer I wish I had bought from!

Carl, is the engine a Tier 4 Interim or Final? Is it electronic or manual fuel injection? When (in the video) the machine appeared to "stall" going up the hill; were you simply taking it easy, was some type of traction control kicking in, or was the machine "bogging down"?

Lumberjack

The engine is T3 or T4i I believe, no region, no dpf, and I believe mechanical injection... I'll have to check.

I'm going to shoot another video explaining the controls. The drive pump is a variable displacement pump who's displacement is controlled by a knob on the operator's panel. When I nearly stalled the engine I had the displacement set too high for the torque demands of the hill. I "downshifted" and went on up. That's not 100% accurate, but close enough for this conversation. The drive direction and speed is controlled by a lever (looks like a joystick but it's only 1 axis). There is no traction control.

The SD64 is not available without the jib as that would put the floor of the basket roughly 6' off the ground. Personally I really like the jib. My lift before (Genie TZ50/30) had a jib. What's the downside to the jib?

Lumberjack

Yessir. Just got home from putting a couple hours on it actually. Are you in the market? You're welcome to come over and play with it. I also have one on order which may become two as I have another member that's talking like he's getting one.

That's my machine outside my shop in the video in the first post.

Lumberjack

Here's a walk around video I shot this afternoon. I have another video I'm editing showing the controls from the basket.

I also ran it against a stop watch today:
Fully retracted to full elevation: 72 seconds
Both booms from their cradles to fully up: 41 seconds
Extend top boom (horizontal): 36 seconds
Retract top boom (horizontal): 31 seconds

frashdog

Here's a walk around video I shot this afternoon. I have another video I'm editing showing the controls from the basket.

I also ran it against a stop watch today:
Fully retracted to full elevation: 72 seconds
Both booms from their cradles to fully up: 41 seconds
Extend top boom (horizontal): 36 seconds
Retract top boom (horizontal): 31 seconds

Yo that's the stuff I like to know!

Myself I think that machine is great, but in my neighbor hoods the width does not work. I wish nifty made a tracked lift with the reach that jobber has!

Lumberjack

12 of 24 pines to remove on this job. Should have the stumps ready to grind in 2 days thanks to a logger hauling most of the logs for us (chip and saw and pulp wood).

Yo that's the stuff I like to know!

Myself I think that machine is great, but in my neighbor hoods the width does not work. I wish nifty made a tracked lift with the reach that jobber has!
Might not fit into the backyard every time but think of how much faster it would be when it did

Lumberjack

No problem! I enjoy tree work and I enjoy talking/selling equipment.

Boom and travel speed are important to me. Friday we knocked down 10 trees in the woods for a long time customer, then drove the lift 3-400 yards and hung a bell on one of his buildings, then drove back to load the lift. With a spider we would have loaded back up and hauled it over to do the bell. A bucket would be faster with regards to boom speed and travel speed, but casually driving across a customer's yard/sidewalk/pool deck/etc wouldn't be an option. Also the bucket is wider than the Nifty and not usually 4x4 or 4 wheel steering.

I was nervous buying the lift, pretty common when you're making a new biggest purchase for the company. The last nervous time was December '13 buying the excavator for $20k less than the lift (biggest purchase at that point). The excavator has 500 hours on it, and I've never regretted buying it. The lift is knocking out work faster and easier than ever before.

When I started thinking about buying a lift again, I was thinking maybe a Genie TZ50/30 like I had originally. Then I got to thinking maybe the 64' towable lift from Nifty. I even called the big dealers across the country and couldn't find a TM64 in stock, but one had the SD64 in stock for a paltry $30k more. Looking back that was an exceptionally good thing that the TM wasn't in stock. It weighs 1klbs less buy puts almost all that weight on 2 trailer tires. I was nervous about the SD's ability to climb hills after a couple poor experiences with the JLG style 80-120' lifts not being able to climb on the trailer (and weighing 32-46klbs!). The SD climbs very well, so far there hasn't been a position I couldn't get in due to the grade. If they made the SP85 in the SD platform, that would be very enticing, but also $165k+ I bet.

Another point, it burned 15 gallons of diesel in 21.5 hours. High speed driving burns the most fuel, and there was a good bit of that on that tank. I'll report back if I notice a significant deviation in fuel consumption. The fuel burn is exceptionally insignificant financially, around $1.70/hr with current fuel prices.

I never wanted to buy a bucket truck because of all the money tied up into one piece of equipment that wasn't usable on every job and an arbor package truck tries to be dual purpose but its chip/log capacity is so small compared to a dump only truck, but now with 2 16' dumps and the 60' arbor truck things are ok but I'm leaning to a lift for my next bucket replacement. Like Lumberjack said after you make the big purchases for better product you would never want to go backwards again

treevet

12 of 24 pines to remove on this job. Should have the stumps ready to grind in 2 days thanks to a logger hauling most of the logs for us (chip and saw and pulp wood).

I love the little gnat saw noises. You really have something going there if you just add a WT chipper and crane and giant chip box. But if you do pines all day, maybe what you have is enough.