New to me Log Truck

TreelineNH

Just purchased my first log truck. Its a 2003 Freightliner FLD120 with a 2016 Serco 8500 loader. Its in fair condition, with plans to make it really nice. Paint the cab, sand blast the frame, and remove and fix up the log bunks. First problem I see is that is has no fenders on the rear wheels. When we drove it home, I noticed all the street salt/snow/water gets slung all over the loader. The loaders a 2016, and pretty much all the controls are sticky, and I attribute this to that.

-I was thinking about adding poly fenders, but Im assuming with my low skill level I will smash them on the first day.

-I also though of doing rough sawn red oak for decking. This will be much cheaper than plate.

-I most likely will plate 70% of the deck with 1/8-3/16 steel plate. This should fix my fender problem, also keep bark and debris on the truck, also a cool way to transport a mini. I would assume open bunks are more for a behind the cab mount loader? Also I want to keep access panels so i can easily access in between the frame rails.

-What size plate do you guys have for decking? I plan on adding some tube steel, or channel for bracing.

-Also the cab has its fair share of dings and dents. Any recommendations on the headache rack to protect it more?

-This was a loggers truck, but should be suitable for residential tree work. Anything you guys see that I should do to it? Tips tricks?

Attachments

I'm not a log truck expert, but I would recommend, if you haven't done so, having the entire grapple unit inspected by a professional. Every component of it. I've been told by the gentleman I use for logging that those can fail and operators have been killed because of this.

TreelineNH

I'm not a log truck expert, but I would recommend, if you haven't done so, having the entire grapple unit inspected by a professional. Every component of it. I've been told by the gentleman I use for logging that those can fail and operators have been killed because of this.
Yes, The loader is a bit loose on the frame and needs either the bolts replaced or re-torqued. Im bringing it in to have that done, and have it looked over.

craneguy1

Cool beans man! Plating the bed is gonna make it even heavier empty! Plus, when you need to replace lines and such, you'll have to under it! They're gonna get mashed up and become stuck... Strange its set up with a pusher and not a tag... does it steer?

Cool beans man! Plating the bed is gonna make it even heavier empty! Plus, when you need to replace lines and such, you'll have to under it! They're gonna get mashed up and become stuck... Strange its set up with a pusher and not a tag... does it steer?
-Ya I I was thinking of doing 1/8" plate so it doesn't add too much weight. With a deck I will also be able to keep my mini on board close to the loader and stuff logs in the front. Was planning on welding the areas outside the frame solid, and the stuff over the frame add a hinge so i can flap it open to get to all the stuff inside the frame.

-Im new to trucks but from what I gather a rear mount truck is very ass heavy. Having a tag on the back just adds to the weight there. When you load the majority of your weight it usually right behind the cab. Like I said im new to trucks, and this is what I have heard from people that owned both styles. Im sure there are pros and cons to either. And no it doesnt steer so I guess if you make full turns you need to pick up the axle. I havent driving it since getting it home, Im still waiting on title stuff so i can register it.

Nice truck! I'd be awfully tempted to use the log bunks to build a full bed off of so I could use it as a full on grapple truck, not just for logs. It would depend on what it weighs empty vs its GVWR.