New rope runner ???

treebing

I'm not worried about it. Pretty happy with the runner the way it is. I'm in no rush for changes. If the rr2 happens great, if not, that's okay too. Keeping it affordable is good too. The rr2 is looking to be in the 450-500 range, for a heavier, less serviceable unit. Maybe it will still be an option for the deeper pockets. The work is all there to make it. Its push a button and print. In the meanwhile. The rr1 is where its at. Rebuilding an rr1 is cheap so they can last for a long time. The rr1 as an investment makes a lot of sense.

TimBr

I'm not worried about it. Pretty happy with the runner the way it is. I'm in no rush for changes. If the rr2 happens great, if not, that's okay too. Keeping it affordable is good too. The rr2 is looking to be in the 450-500 range, for a heavier, less serviceable unit. Maybe it will still be an option for the deeper pockets. The work is all there to make it. Its push a button and print. In the meanwhile. The rr1 is where its at. Rebuilding an rr1 is cheap so they can last for a long time. The rr1 as an investment makes a lot of sense.
Wow, thanks for this great answer, Kevin. I feel much better now, knowing that you feel this way. I did not realize that there might be a difference between the two with regard to one's ability to replace parts and make the device last forever, essentially. I'm glad to know you are so happy with how the first edition Rope Runner turned out.

Thanks so much for stepping up and engaging with us in such a timely manner. It is greatly appreciated.

Tim

39Buick

Lol yeah the RopeRunner has actually been in production for several years. They have 5 versions distinguished by 5 different colors
@david1332 Curious as to the differences in the 5 versions and 5 different colors! what kind of changes were made with each new color or was the color change for production runs? I have seen the red, blue, green, gold and the multi colored ones. I play on a Green one from time to time. It made me nervous the last time i had on my Blue moon climbing line. Had gone up and down about 40 feet several times and the last trip up, when I sat back on it the silly thing would not grab. Pressed the bird up hard by hand and put a munter on my biner and lowered myself back down. Haven't had it out since.

macswan

@david1332 Curious as to the differences in the 5 versions and 5 different colors! what kind of changes were made with each new color or was the color change for production runs? I have seen the red, blue, green, gold and the multi colored ones. I play on a Green one from time to time. It made me nervous the last time i had on my Blue moon climbing line. Had gone up and down about 40 feet several times and the last trip up, when I sat back on it the silly thing would not grab. Pressed the bird up hard by hand and put a munter on my biner and lowered myself back down. Haven't had it out since.
that sounds like a broken or mid laid spring

TimBr

@macswan; Does a mislaid spring mean the same thing as completely missing from the device? Or do you mean that it might be installed, but improperly, so that it cannot do its intended job?

I think I have read of some folks that seemed to have a spring that was installed correctly, but was too weak to do the intended job of pushing up on the beak. I think they might have put more twists into the spring in order to strengthen it, or replaced it entirely with a new, stronger spring.

In my mind, it is critically important to verify the engagement of the Rope Runner each time, just like you would with a hitch, before sitting back into it and trusting it with your life. Hitches that were not properly set on a rope have dropped climbers, too.

I think Richard Mumford, or yoyoman, created a video in which he safely operated with a Rope Runner that had the spring removed, to show how the Rope Runner could just drop to the ground if the bird did not engage, but could also still be used reliably that way as long as he manually engaged the Rope Runner onto the rope. I think that video is still on YouTube.

Tim

david1332

Check the spring. The device relies on. It to give the bird tension and therefore create friction to hold you up

treebing

the spring doesnt do anything to keep you from sliding. it creates co tact with the rope and after that mechanics takes over. the rope may be new, going up and down over the same area numerous times can flatten that spot. adjust the bollards on the bird tighter mm by mm. dont get it too tight or you'll have drag and a tough release. I prefer as wide open as possible without sliding. the 11.7 are pretty soft and can flatten out. if they are newer they can be slick.

treebing

the spring doesnt do anything to keep you from sliding. it creates co tact with the rope and after that mechanics takes over. the rope may be new, going up and down over the same area numerous times can flatten that spot. adjust the bollards on the bird tighter mm by mm. dont get it too tight or you'll have drag and a tough release. I prefer as wide open as possible without sliding. the 11.7 are pretty soft and can flatten out. if they are newer they can be slick.

39Buick

I have checked it as I do with all of my gear before using it. The spring is in good shape and screw is attached and holding it in place as it is supposed to be.
I believe it was due to repeatedly ascending and descending on the same section of rope as @treebing has mentioned. I had been using a cinched anchor for my tip and had been practicing in my back yard. I’m a newer rec climber and was excited about the improvements I was making with my technique. Will try and take a mm or two in on the bollard and switch ends of my rope.
Does anyone know what changes were made with the RR as the colors changed? The only physical change that I can see is the roller bearing that is currently available. Just curious and wanted to make sure I didn’t miss an update for the device.
Thanks guys!

treebing

The gold has a different spring config. the black was made with a lesser anodizing by a different manufacturer, I believe the bollards are a softer alloy on those blacks too because faster wear has been reported. There are light blue and matt red and just a few matt black made by me in Detroit. those are mostly specially marked. half of the red and all the green and all the newer mixed ones have bearing pulleys.

dttm

Thank you Kevin! you have been making my life easier since I bought a kong robot descender. Shoot I just gave my age that I have been on a stationary line, single line....whatever. Love my investment of the Rope Runner. I strictly climbed on it all day. With removals, which I usually switch to moving rope. High five! thanks again!

TimBr

The gold has a different spring config. the black was made with a lesser anodizing by a different manufacturer, I believe the bollards are a softer alloy on those blacks too because faster wear has been reported. There are light blue and matt red and just a few matt black made by me in Detroit. those are mostly specially marked. half of the red and all the green and all the newer mixed ones have bearing pulleys.
Hey, Kevin! Thanks for the info on the differences between the various versions; I had no idea. I do have a question, maybe a dumb one. Is there a way to tell by looking at the pulley whether or not it is a "bearing pulley"? I'm in the group that owns a red Rope Runner, so I guess I have a 50/50 chance of having a bearing pulley. Thanks.

Tim

treebing

the bushing has got a deeper channel. the bearing pulley is actually a stock pulley from one of their other larger pulley models that they milled down. so the the pulley has got a slightly shallower channel. you can also tell by how much better the bearing pulley spins. I think you need to see them side by side to really tell them apart though. Or, if you hold it up next to a standard CMI micro pulley which is a standard bushing.