New (possibly) knee ascender

Brocky

They probably are more efficient because they don't flop down as long as the system is dialed in where the bungee doesn't become slack. It is also easier on the ankle, as the pull is straight off the top of the foot.

DSMc

... I say this because I am questioning how much movement is in my own system, even a tight foot ascender can have 4-5 inches of slop between up and down. With both feet I am probably climbing 2 feet for every 1 I move up the rope.

Could the old school ascenders that float above the foot be more efficient?
Something is not right with your setup if you are getting any set-back at all. That is the beauty of toothed ascenders.
Old school foot loop foot ascenders have both pros and cons. The big pro is that there is no side twist applied to your ankle as you step. On the con side, you lose space as it is higher up on the rope and generally they are less convenient to leave in place while working.

Just wondering why in heaven's name you bought a knock off anything. Especialky for climbing life support or not.
Because climbing gear is so expensive. I buy DMM, Rock Exotica and ISC for anything life support. I could not justify 80 dollars for a turbo chest when it is for experimental purposes. If I climbed every day I would have bought a SAKA when they were still on the market. Maybe if I get everything dialed in I might make a proper knee ascended when the climbing budget allows.

Bob Bob

I built an experimental set-up using a cheap $20 chest ascender from ebay following the concept outlined in this thread. I had trouble getting the system working efficiently. One foot seemed to be fighting the other foot. I'm sure there is a learning curve to the technique. I'll post a picture when I can.

On a side note, I would recommend closely monitoring the cheap ascender's teeth on your rope. The blue one I bought had wicked sharp teeth and they wanted to pluck fibers when sliding up the rope. You could probably grind down each tooth individually to alleviate this issue...

Jehinten

I built an experimental set-up using a cheap $20 chest ascender from ebay following the concept outlined in this thread. I had trouble getting the system working efficiently. One foot seemed to be fighting the other foot. I'm sure there is a learning curve to the technique. I'll post a picture when I can.

On a side note, I would recommend closely monitoring the cheap ascender's teeth on your rope. The blue one I bought had wicked sharp teeth and they wanted to pluck fibers when sliding up the rope. You could probably grind down each tooth individually to alleviate this issue...

I'm just curious on what you mean by one foot was fighting the other? The only thing I can think of is trying to stand on both feet at once? If that is in fact what your trying to do, you will need some sort of spring or bungee to allow some stretch in the system.

The cat seems to approve. Your system is much more streamlined than mine with knots. Are you going to use a pulley at waist or chest height?
I don't know yet. I plan on doing some testing this weekend. I will post updates as I go. I am going to test a bungee, a pulley and both. I might just get a retractable reel if I can't make something work well.

Bob Bob

I'm just curious on what you mean by one foot was fighting the other? The only thing I can think of is trying to stand on both feet at once? If that is in fact what your trying to do, you will need some sort of spring or bungee to allow some stretch in the system.
I think you may be on to something about trying to stand on both feet at once. I'll give it another go. My muscle memory is associated with my frog walker set-up.

evo

Just wondering why in heaven's name you bought a knock off anything. Especialky for climbing life support or not.
There are knockoffs and then there are rebranded units. I do agree to a point, but if strictly for personal use and NON life support who cares? If it works it works, as long as you never cheat and use it as life support for even a moment

Bob Bob

Getting closer to a final version. I was able to get the cord based version working but I personally prefer the bungee based system. The exercise band has been swapped out for a more durable bungee (1/4"). I've been connecting the swivel snap to a shoulder harness that tends my Hitchhiker also. IMG_2009_c.JPG

Last edited:
I like how you tripled the bungee, does that give it more pull?

I have almost the same setup with exactly the same cheap blue chest ascender but I made the cord to the footloop from NE 7mm cord, been working great so far.

Bob Bob

I like how you tripled the bungee, does that give it more pull?

I have almost the same setup with exactly the same cheap blue chest ascender but I made the cord to the footloop from NE 7mm cord, been working great so far.
The bungee I'm using just didn't have enough strength to pull the ascender up far enough for a decent step if only one strand was used. I found that doubling or tripling the bungee does provide considerable more strength to pull up the ascender when rope walking. I think it helps that the bungee is routed like a 3 to 1 mechanical advantage pulley system, giving more continuous length for the bungee to stretch.

I'm wondering if small pulleys on the bungee would help even more? Certainly would reduce wear on the bungee if nothing else.

Jehinten

I watched this video and thought of this thread. The setup that he uses for a knee ascender is installed at 8:00, actual ascent is at 11:15. Seems to work good and the key to it (at least i think so after watching the video) is the bungeed neck tether. A chest harness or LOTS would not work for this application.