New Lyme desease test

Merle Nelson

Just heard about this on the news the other day. However on the news they said seeking FDA approval for the test. When I googled it this article says commercially available in...

https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2015/09/092515-engineering-templedouglas.html

Benefits are it can be detected early and easily stopped in its tracks with antibiotics. They are expecting to have an over the counter urine test.

Treezybreez

Impressive! Lyme disease is a serious problem in my aria. There is a strong possibility that I contracted the disease a few years back and it was the most exhausting thing I've ever been through. I had pneumonia like symptoms and chronic fatigue. The tests were inconclusive but the antibiotics were helping me, so the doc continued to prescribe. I was shocked at how little was known about the disease.

Merle Nelson

Sure on broadening.

I only got checked once because of a bullseye like mark. Their wanting me to wait some longer period of time before testing and then talk of false test results was less than reassuring.

LimbLoppa

Probably had it for years- ticks suck (hah) just figured it was par for the course for tree work. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Frax

I get tick bites all the time. I find them early, but when I rub them off the area will have an itchy red mark for weeks and weeks.
I'm not too worried about Lyme, but Erlichiosis is very possible.

I had it. Western Blot screen was negative. The 5th doc I saw took one look an said Lyme. Clinical observation is so important but you need a doc who is familiar with it. Doxycyclin fixed me right up but man did I suffer while getting a diagnosis. Joints ached bad, ran a fever at night. Wanna see rash pics?

I got tested years ago and it was positive even though I had a giant bulls eye on my back. Was hard mentally because I couldn't swollow pills so I was breaking open the capsils now that I can swollow pills I'm ready to go back and get some tests done to see about it.

Kinda hit home with this topic my sister because very fatigued the past couple weeks and drowsy and they just diagnosed limes in her today :/

Steve Connally

I had it. Western Blot screen was negative. The 5th doc I saw took one look an said Lyme. Clinical observation is so important but you need a doc who is familiar with it. Doxycyclin fixed me right up but man did I suffer while getting a diagnosis. Joints ached bad, ran a fever at night. Wanna see rash pics?
Yes i'd like to see the rash!

TimBr

Sure on broadening.

I only got checked once because of a bullseye like mark. Their wanting me to wait some longer period of time before testing and then talk of false test results was less than reassuring.
There was a documentary film done about Lyme disease. I think it was called "Under Our Skin". Really compelling, about corruption in the health care system that was costing victims horribly. It was about some few doctors who had it figured out, but were being threatened with losing their license to practice if they continued to help people. I think the gist of it was that the insurance companies did not want to have to pay for an expensive series of anti-biotic treatments, and had a large percentage of the doctors on the licensing boards in their pocket.

I forget where I saw this documentary; it might have been on cable while staying at a hotel.

I think one of the important take aways was that it is important to get started on the routine as early as possible, perhaps even before the flue-like symptoms and the bullseye pattern disappear. I think waiting only allows the disease to distribute itself throughout your body. Frightening stuff.

http://underourskin.com/#home-underourskin

Available to stream in high def from Amazon for $3.99.

https://www.amazon.com/under-our-skin-mandy-hughes/dp/b004i0j1ai

Tim

TimBr

@merle_nelson;

The CDC website is really nice, and easy to navigate.

The impression that I get from what they are saying about Lyme disease is that diagnosis is basically based on a preponderance of the evidence, and that if there is a reasonable chance you've been infected that you should start antibiotics immediately.

I think if they make you wait for other results to come in Merle, or even wait to give you other tests, they are screwing up badly, and putting your health at risk. My personal opinion is that you should already have started on the antibiotics recommended by the CDC, and that waiting is only allowing this microbe to spread.

Maybe all that I'm saying here would be better said in a private message, but this treatment of yours by the medics kind of pisses me off. It is not their health they're risking, it is yours.

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/

Tim

Are these self-portraits? Nice job if yes. Thanks for sharing this information.

Tim
My wife took them.
My advice...If you suspect Lyme, forget the blood tests. Find a doc who is very familiar with it. I don't understand the ignorance I ran across in the medical community in MN. Doxycyclin's been around since the 60's and is inexpensive. My wife broke down crying when I finally got the diagnosis because we were getting desperate. It took 5 docs and 2 months, many different blood tests and a renal ultrasound. The doxy worked within a few days but I took it for 30. It was bloody amazing how quickly I responded. You can take it for just a few days if it's caught early. Some docs in WI will prescribe preemptively for a deer tick bite. My episode was 3 years ago and I've had no issues since. Ever see the size of the nymph stage? Good luck seeing those guys!