New guy to Rope Runner: question about bottom slic-pin

LordFarkwad

Good morning. Just got an RR in the mail and in examining it, came up with a question about the supposed 'quadruple acting' slic pin that serves as the connection between the friction plate and the rest of the RR (i.e., the connection that joins the climber to the device/rope)...

Doesn't the friction plate effectively make the quadruple-acting slic pin into a dual/double-acting slic pin? Isn't there some sort of ANSI regulation or general safety practice stating that any life support connections (or, at the very least, carabiners) should require three independent motions/actions to release?

What I mean is, if each pin is actuated and the pin retracts inside of the friction plate passage, there are no additional actions required to sever the climber's connection to his life line. Is this incorrect?

LordFarkwad

I mean it's the same 2 plungers to push down to move it??
Oh, yeah the plungers and everything are the same, just slightly different diameter so that it doesn't fit through the side plates nor friction plate.

Also, I don't know if this will change with wear, but I had a completely trouble/effort-free time breaking the bone for each descent today. After work, I tried it for the first time ever and went out and did 4 or 5 ~85' descents and never once had difficulty initiating the descent.

Running the Runner on Vortex with the 4SRT bird flap.

Wanted to get a second device apart from my HH2, and did some training with a local treecare company this weekend with some guys that have been trying to sell me on the RR for a few months. The effortless tending on limb walks is really what sold me. The thing is butter. Man. The HH2 never tends as easily, but does get muuuuuch better after descending a little ways 3 or 4 times.

Very pleased with the purchase!

LordFarkwad

Also, flipped the upper slic pin around because the end with the plungers on it was interfering slightly with the area between my index and middle finger while descending. That fixed it.

Mowerr

If that slic pin is safe enough to canopy or base anchor remotely then your def safe using it on a multicender that's stays close to you...

LordFarkwad

If that slic pin is safe enough to canopy or base anchor remotely then your def safe using it on a multicender that's stays close to you...
Oh yeah, no arguments there - I didn't know that it was a total no-go to have it oriented against the tree in such a way so as to be applying pressure to the plungers, until Mumford mentioned it the other day on here.

Mowerr

I get what ur saying about the quad action pin but to me it is much easier to open karabiners.... I feel very safe using them

LordFarkwad

I get what ur saying about the quad action pin but to me it is much easier to open karabiners.... I feel very safe using them
Oh man I totally agree! Don't get me wrong.

I am still at the stage of trying to get a handle on the conventions, and I was just confused on what constitutes 'actions'. I feel totally safe using a quickies. Also didn't know that pressure into the plungers was a show stopper.

moss

Oh man I totally agree! Don't get me wrong.

I am still at the stage of trying to get a handle on the conventions, and I was just confused on what constitutes 'actions'. I feel totally safe using a quickies. Also didn't know that pressure into the plungers was a show stopper.
The reality is that accidental pressure on the end of the Quickie slic pin is low probability to open it. Still a smart move to position it so there's no opportunity to test the theory.
-AJ

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
Isn't it the same slic pin that's on the quickie?
Oh, yeah the plungers and everything are the same, just slightly different diameter so that it doesn't fit through the side plates nor friction plate.
@treebing; Hey, Kevin! I was wondering if you could provide an answer as to why this is the case? Why is the Quickie designed in such a way as to make it incompatible with the Rope Runner, for use as a tending point? Is it dangerous to have such a strong tending point available in that position, because it might cause the Rope Runner to collapse, or something? Or is it just that they wanted a thicker SLIC pin for the Quickie for its additional strength? Making it compatible with the Rope Runner seems like a great idea, assuming it does not create any safety issues.

I thank you in advance for any answer you can give me to this question. I think people will want to modify their Rope Runners in ways that you might not prefer, in the absence of a manufactured product that just works smoothly right out of the box.

Tim

LordFarkwad

@treebing; Hey, Kevin! I was wondering if you could provide an answer as to why this is the case? Why is the Quickie designed in such a way as to make it incompatible with the Rope Runner, for use as a tending point? Is it dangerous to have such a strong tending point available in that position, because it might cause the Rope Runner to collapse, or something? Or is it just that they wanted a thicker SLIC pin for the Quickie for its additional strength? Making it compatible with the Rope Runner seems like a great idea, assuming it does not create any safety issues.

I thank you in advance for any answer you can give me to this question. I think people will want to modify their Rope Runners in ways that you might not prefer, in the absence of a manufactured product that just works smoothly right out of the box.

Tim
If it is pertinent, I'm using a Notch v3 quickie I purchased two of a month or two ago.

Last edited:

LordFarkwad

And, also - I'm using one of the washers as the tending point with an across-the-shoulder tender made from webbing strap + adjusters purchased at Walmart. Almost weightless.

With the Hitchhiker, the strap was removing a mole and rubbing raw places into my shoulder (at least from the first 3-4 times I ascend/descend with it on each climb), but with the Rope Runner, I barely even feel the thing being dragged up the line, and the only reason there is some pressure is due to the knee ascender (SAKA mini) pulling down on carabiner attached to the bridge (treeMOTION bridge hooked to SMC rigging plate, hooked to DMM carabiner, hooked to Rope Runner - doesn't sound compact, but it is! SAKA is attached to the DMM).

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
If it is pertinent, I'm using a Notch v3 quickie I purchased two of a month or two ago.
So, you are saying that the Notch v3 Quickie also does not fit in the hole of the Rope Runner friction plate and the side plates of the Runner, correct? Thanks.

Tim

LordFarkwad

So, you are saying that the Notch v3 Quickie also does not fit in the hole of the Rope Runner friction plate and the side plates of the Runner, correct? Thanks.

Tim
Yes, it doesn't fit one or both of those - lemme check again at lunch to see which one (or both); can't remember. After it didn't fit upon trying it the first time, I just forgot about it. And - especially after seeing how it tends with the washer connection, that alone terminated my search for tending location alternatives.