New gear from Gap

oldoakman

Those guys are busting to get it done. Quality service and competitive pricing. Spend your dollars where you will, but I like to give the little guy as many breaks as I can. after all, we all started out little guys.

Bucknut

Your thread title intrigued me. I half expected to see this:

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 6.15.37 PM.png

I thought we were indeed in a brave new world if Brittany the super helpful sales associate was dishing advice on rigging slings and Rope Runners. Thank God I was wrong. I'll check them out.

RBJtree

I love Gap. Best service I've had hands down. Pricing right with the big guys or lower. And they are in my state (250 miles from me) so I sometimes get shipments the next day, second day at most.

dsptech

Those guys are busting to get it done. Quality service and competitive pricing. Spend your dollars where you will, but I like to give the little guy as many breaks as I can. after all, we all started out little guys.
Agree 100%!
Stop feeding the Borg.
We need to stop Sh-amazon-stuff.com from dominating the tree supply industry.
That's their goal and we're all complicit in helping them reach it with our dollars.

Rush

I heard of them a couple months ago & have placed a few orders. Great prices, great service & fast shipping. It's also nice to speak to knowledgeable people if you need more information. Be sure to order from their website instead of feeding the ebay beast.

Treetech

Thanks for the suggestion on GAP.
I contacted them and hope to hear back this week.
Thanks to flooding, 75mph wind and lightning strikes we thankfully moved the contract work to better weather.

Giving me extra time to get 300' righting rope and more rigging

UOTE="samsquatch, post: 600721, member: 14921"]
Just wanted to give Gap Arb supply in PA another shout out. Received my shipment today, got some good quality rigging gear now!
#offthehinge !!
View attachment 58677
[/QUOTE]

RBJtree

I also enjoy the triple thimble. With half inch rope it a little friction allowing my ground guy to do small to medium stuff without a porti, with 9/16 stable braid, a 500-600 lb log is handle able.

samsquatch

That's what I'm trying to get away from, relying on a porti for most rigging.
With the triple thimble, the only thing I'm worried about is longer drops (heat) with certain types of rope. I have 5/8 Arbor Plex that I planned to use with it, but will the thimble create too much heat for that rope?
I also have 3/4 Stable braid -- will that bind up too much in the thimble when rigging lighter weights, or can I use that for mid size stuff too?

RBJtree

I haven't tried bigger than 9/16ths in the thimble yet. With 9/16ths going through all three holes, anything smaller than 150 lbs or so doesn't want to move and it is a little difficult pulling the rope thru. The 9/16ths gets way more friction than the 1/2. Judging by that, 5/8ths will get get much more and 3/4 will be 500 lbs and up to pull the rope thru and good luck getting it back. If your using all 3 holes. Thats the beauty of the triple thimble. You can tailor the friction by using 2 or just 1 hole. Its just a little experimenting to find out how much friction each rope size and type will make. As for heat, I don't know for sure, I haven't used it for much negitive rigging where I would be close to it and able to feel it for heat, but I've used it for some pretty big stuff without melting any ropes.

theatertech87

I haven't tried bigger than 9/16ths in the thimble yet. With 9/16ths going through all three holes, anything smaller than 150 lbs or so doesn't want to move and it is a little difficult pulling the rope thru. The 9/16ths gets way more friction than the 1/2. Judging by that, 5/8ths will get get much more and 3/4 will be 500 lbs and up to pull the rope thru and good luck getting it back. If your using all 3 holes. Thats the beauty of the triple thimble. You can tailor the friction by using 2 or just 1 hole. Its just a little experimenting to find out how much friction each rope size and type will make. As for heat, I don't know for sure, I haven't used it for much negitive rigging where I would be close to it and able to feel it for heat, but I've used it for some pretty big stuff without melting any ropes.
This seems pretty spot on for weights and diameters. As for heat, I've got 2 splice on tenex and neither one gets what I would consider dangerously hot. Thimble has a lot of surface area and sheds heat pretty rapidly in my experience.
Safebloc is the same way, but really doesn't build decent friction on 1/2", really needs 5/8 to be usable