New Fall Arrest training requirement for Ontario?

Discussion in 'Rules and Regs' started by Anonymity, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Anonymity

Anonymity Member

this is really only for Ontario people...I was just wondering if anyone has heard of new REQUIRED or MANDITORY fall arrest training for climbing arborists being instated in Ontario? Just wondering if there's something new on the books/regulations that I don't know about (because I love jumping through government hoops!!!)

Thanks,
    Ken

2. classictruckman

classictruckman Well-Known Member

Were you at the isao conference?

The MOL guy there says it currently only applies to people working on construction sites.

3. Anonymity

Anonymity Member

No I wasn't at the isao conference...another tree company was talking and told me that the ministry of labour was requiring it for anyone working over 10 feet...:tonto:

4. classictruckman

No the new standards say anybody working on on construction site must have the training, and the MOL is pushing for regs that will require every worker in ontario to take the training.

5. mrtree

mrtree Well-Known Member

6. Anonymity

Anonymity Member

lol, maybe I'm the only one that doesn't enjoy wading through pages of online government bureaucracy (not that I don't!!!, I sure do!). And maybe I'm the only one that sometimes finds government rules and regs confusing (ie...just look into vehicle wieght regulations with the MTO lol, heck there's a whole thread on here on just that topic alone. I was just looking for some friendly advice from other's in the industry who might or might not know something I don't know...but thanks for the web links. I have some training regarding working at heights, but I know of no "specific" required training?

Jem4417 likes this.
  7. classictruckman

My understanding is that currently our WAH training is included in our job training. Like chainsaw training, loggers need cutter/skidder tickets, arborists don't because our training can be done on the job.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  8. mrtree

mrtree Well-Known Member

I think there is a misunderstanding of training and requirements. Legislation can specify specific training (such as this WAH for construction) where an approved course must be taken, or legislation can make a generalized statement such as workers must be trained in the equipment, techniques, and hazards associated with their job, thus chainsaw training to match the job the worker does.

On-the-job training is a dirty, messy dangerous slope to navigate. On-the-job implies that the worker will join a crew and begin to learn by watching, listening and doing without a dedicated instructor and time to learn. What happens is rather than receiving training in good techniques etc. the new worker picks up what they see and are capable of. Very soon the new worker has adopted the techniques they favour which may be good or bad.

Dedicated, mandatory training provides for training by an instructor and time that will (hopefully) produce the best results. Once the initial learning occurs working should reinforce good techniques and allow for experience to perfect and reinforce techniques.

I imagine WAH requirements for Ontario came about because of deaths and injuries of workers who received on-the-job training. The obvious example is roofers; virtually every residential shingler I see is not tied-in and new workers learn this as a technique. Last fall I saw roofers on a 12:12 roof 50 feet in the air, workers where struggling to sit on the peak and dormers, descend on valleys and move from jack to jack. I was surprised the job was not stopped but it continued and new workers, as well as all onlookers, were "instructed" that fall-arrest equipment is not needed for roofing.

Training must be true training, with accompanying documentation, not sending somebody to work and calling observation alone training.

Oak Savanna and classictruckman like this.
  9. Anonymity

Anonymity Member

Well said Mrtree, What you said made perfect sense to me and I agree with you...sometimes I just find it frustrating trying to keep up with all the "hoops" our government implements or even understanding what they want. This does not mean I think training is bad or a waste of time and lots of what the government does is good. Like your roofing example: If I worked for the Ministry of labor, I would be all over them and telling them to stop working in such an unsafe manner...thanks for the help

classictruckman likes this.
  10. squad143

squad143 Well-Known Member

Toronto Canada... and occasionally Haliburton
    From what I understand, we do not require WAH training by the Ministry of Labour at this time, although I agree it is worthwhile training to have.
    I believe this is currently mandatory for the construction industry. Arborists do not fall under this sector.

I try and check further into this, this week if I get time.

11. mrtree

mrtree Well-Known Member

"From what I understand, we do not require WAH training by the Ministry of Labour at this time"

The answer is in the very first lines of the link I posted

The working at heights training requirements apply to the employers of workers on construction projects who are required by O.Reg. 213/91 (Construction Projects Regulation) to use any of the following methods of fall protection:

• travel restraint system
    • fall restricting system
    • fall arrest system
    • safety net
    • work belt
      OR
    • safety belt
    The term used is construction project, not construction industry; arborists use work belts and are often on construction sites so it appears to me that the WAH training applies to arborists on construction.

12. classictruckman

That's right, if youre working on a construction and the MOL shows up you're up shit creek

deevo likes this.
  13. mrtree

mrtree Well-Known Member

Oh course if you have an accident, on or off a construction site, and you cannot show training you could still be up shits creek.

Oak Savanna likes this.
  14. classictruckman

Always true.

15. classictruckman

I am in no way against training, just don't like courses that are required by law to do our job, but have no educational value to our job.

Oroboros likes this.
  16. mrtree

mrtree Well-Known Member

So you have taken this course and know that it has no educational value?

You say you are a crane operator so you must be considered construction ever time you use the crane. Therefore you would require this training.

17. classictruckman

If I'm not erecting a building its not a construction site.

I know it has no educational value to our industry because it is designed for construction workers, they use engineered anchor points to attach their fall arrest systems to, they build barriers to create a fall protection system. When was the last time you used an engineered anchor point while climbing a tree? When was the last time you built a work platform with a 106cm high railing in a tree that you were removing?

18. mrtree

mrtree Well-Known Member

I read the legislation and there is no requirement for an engineered anchor point so I do not know what you are talking about. I cannot find the word railing in the regulations so again I do not know what you are talking about. I cannot find that construction is limited to erecting buildings

I have found requirements for guardrails which are fall prevention not fall protection, I have found no mention of engineered anchor point and the last time I used a guardrail when removing a tree, well that would be the basket on a bucket truck or the basket on a spderlift.

Perhaps you should read the regulations and then decide how they might apply. Perhaps when your rigger/signal man is on the roof removing a fallen tree he might be required to tie off?

19. classictruckman

Designation of a Project
    4. A Director may designate in writing a part of a project as a project and the designated project is considered to be a project for the purposes of the Act and this Regulation. O. Reg. 213/91, s. 4; O. Reg. 145/00, s. 2.

20. classictruckman

26.1 (1) A worker shall be adequately protected by a guardrail system that meets the requirements of subsections 26.3 (2) to (8). O. Reg. 145/00, s. 12.