New device tender

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by stheis004, Sep 17, 2017.

1. flyingsquirrel25

flyingsquirrel25 Well-Known Member

Oh another great use for these. Toss them in the wife's purse to curb the spending !:loco::inocente:

JeffGu, colb, Crimsonking and 2 others like this.
  2. New2trees

New2trees Member

Much thanks for this thread, I have about 8 circular rare earth magnets (probably 75lbs pull) taken from electronic brakes used on fitness equipment. All I need now is to attach them to leashes to build my own.

3. stheis004

stheis004 Active Member

Not to discourage you from trying, but I've kinda been there done that and that's why these are what they are...careful as the magnets are brittle and shatter when they snap together if not in a protective cap. These will be available on treestuff soon enough.

moss, FreeFallin and flyingsquirrel25 like this.
  4. New2trees

New2trees Member

Thanks for the heads up, however I have worked with them (made shutoff tethers for drag bikes) and know about their brittle nature. I also have access to a lathe, mill, etc. (I used to fab a lot of race car junk). They will be mounted in a circular well on both sides with the magnet approx. 1/16" proud on one side and 1/16" recessed on the other...this will ensure that as they come together they will be in alignment and also that a straight pull will be required to separate them.

The ones shown in the vids do not have the recess on one side, which when building the drag bike tether we found very beneficial to insure uniform separation force.

Tom Lynch, JeffGu and Brocky like this.
  5. stheis004

stheis004 Active Member

That's an interesting idea with the recessed/protruded ends. I haven't found any issue with these lining up; more concerned with them staying in one piece...

6. Merle Nelson

Merle Nelson Well-Known Member

I love the cumulative power of TreeBuzzers coming together from the far corners of the earth. Ideas and transformational leaps in innovation happening in days that otherwise might have taken years.

It's easy to think of it as not that big a deal if a person wanted to but erase all ideas and techniques from your activities and or daily work that were learned or inspired here and a person would pretty quickly say TreeBuzz is huge in my innovation life IMO.

moss, FreeFallin, NE Tree and 2 others like this.
  7. Worthaug

Worthaug Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hseII, fall_risk and Stant82 like this.
  8. treebilly

treebilly Well-Known Member

Hell of a tender you got there Reed. Not thinking it'll work for me though. To each there own

Awful new suburban in the back ground. How do you like it? My Tahoe ain't gonna last forever

9. flyingsquirrel25

flyingsquirrel25 Well-Known Member

I have played with both versions for a little while now. I have been very happy with the lanyard tender. It snags every now and again and disconnects the magnet but it’s easy to pull back up and re lock on. It’s also easy to get extra slack and remove extra slack.
    As for the neck tether I couldn’t get it to work as well as what I have been using for a few years. Although the connection was so much easier, it did disconnect on me a few times and I couldn’t bring myself to keep using it as intended.
    I did however find a use that, although it is not as intended, works very well.
    2C442436-FB4B-46F4-BEF3-A6D015CAACB1.jpeg
    It’s probably difficult to see or understand if you have never used this type of SRT canopy anchor. For those that have, it works great to keep the rope from slacking through the ring and ring and cleanly releases when pulled. After using it a few times I learned that the magnet biner should be connected inside the loop as it can fall free and get lost along the rope.
    Over all I have been happy with them and maybe others might find use in my, outside the box use.

10. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Well-Known Member

That is a great use for it! I hate trying to do stuff and having all of my slack disappear as I pull it!

flyingsquirrel25 and moss like this.
  11. MikePowers321

MikePowers321 Well-Known Member

Great idea flying squirrel. This is usually my go-to canopy anchor for pruning and there have certainly been times I slacked out of my system to do something and went back to sit in the saddle with a little two foot drop. Problem solved. Thanks

flyingsquirrel25 and moss like this.
  12. SeanRuel

SeanRuel Active Member

what is the actual force/weight to get the magnets apart?

13. stheis004

stheis004 Active Member

I believe it's about 16 lbs in the given configuration

14. stheis004

stheis004 Active Member

Great idea! Now my gears are grinding trying to think where else these could be useful...As Tom said in an earlier post, put these in the same drawer as duck tape!

flyingsquirrel25 likes this.
  15. SeanRuel

SeanRuel Active Member

@stheis004 Any hints on the magnet sourcing? I can't stand stuff around my neck and want to incorporate the magnets into a chest tender. Pm would be fine if trade secret

16. SuperK

SuperK Active Member

Awesome i got to try these out! I have been thinking of one for years for a hand saw to stay in scabbard in those weird situations it might slide out. I think though someone already has one out right?

flyingsquirrel25 likes this.
  17. stheis004

stheis004 Active Member

Hey, no secret really, search for "pot magnets" and you'll find a lots. The tricky part is getting them in a pair. I spent way too much time trying to get different magnet companies to make them in a pair for me, a seemingly simple request for companies that do custom magnets, but it was either going to be super expensive or they just couldn't understand what I needed and we were going in circles.

I have a process making them by hand, disassembling and reassembling them but it doesn't stop there; now you have to find eye hooks with the correct thread. I found them from a local store and they actually don't fit, so I cross thread them in there and epoxy it for good measure.

I suppose I could sell just the magnet set for the chest ascender crowd for a little bit less...

18. stheis004

stheis004 Active Member

Yeah someone posted this idea a few years back i think. It helps keep the saw from falling out and if you put it in the right place, also holds the teeth off the bottom when putting the saw back in and keeps scabbard from getting chewed up

SuperK likes this.
  19. evo

evo Well-Known Member

20. groundmangus

groundmangus New Member

I just got one of these neck tethers and didn't really like the having it around my neck part. It was really easy to disassemble and incorporate into my chest ascender. One eye was open so I just put it on the d of the weaver chest harness and closed the eye with plyers. The other magnet stays on the wrench tether with a dmm xcessory biner. It's an awesome addition to a srt setup. Barely even have to think about it. Just get the magnets close and you're good to ascend.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

SuperK and stheis004 like this.