New device tender

stheis004

Here's something I've been working on for awhile. It's pretty simple, but I can't believe how many hurdles there have been get it to where it's at. I can't fathom what it takes for real inventions.

Anyways, I've been using some version of this for the past year and absolutely love it. Speeds/smooths setup and getting to work once aloft, no fumbling around with a little carabiner 2x each time you need to ascend; just get it close and it snaps together, lean back and you are working.

I think the video highlights and explains it well enough, but if you have any questions ask away. (Also, the magnetic lanyard tender that is available at treestuff is now improved with a much stronger magnet...https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=16909)

flyingsquirrel25

I got a pair of these in the mail the other day and haven't had a chance to climb with it yet. But just playing around with them on the couch, the certainly are strong. I'm looking forward to hopefully climbing with them on Wednesday in NJ. You did a nice job.

CutHighnLetFly

Dude that idea for a slack tender is so awesome. So simple!
I'm somewhat dedicated to the neck tether, it's my preference. But I cant ignore the potential (no matter how small the chance I perceive it) for a choke hazard.
Great stuff.

How long have these magnetic managers been around? A friend recently developed the same idea and we totally thought it was original! Never thought about it for device tending, this is just beautiful.

stheis004

How long have these magnetic managers been around? A friend recently developed the same idea and we totally thought it was original! Never thought about it for device tending, this is just beautiful.
I started messing around with the idea beginning of this year and have been improving on them since. I was actually surprised no one else had though of it because it is pretty simple.

I'm happy with where it's at now but you wouldn't believe what it took for me to to get pairs of hook magnets with opposing polarities.

southsoundtree

I like the use of the flimsy biner for circling your neck.

Breakaway neck lanyards seem sensible.

I've always gone over the shoulder. This doesn't work when I want to spur back up a vertical tree where I want my lanyard for ease of climbing, especially if I've come down for a break, and am taking a larger saw back up.

This looks like it stows in a small space.

Yeah a pacemaker would be a little more serious than causing the compass in the cell phone to come out of calibration.
I was also wondering if they have to stamp it "not for life support" in this day and age its amazing the warnings you see.

stheis004

Last edited: