New Climbing Saw

Phil

I am looking at purchasing a new climbing saw. I'm probably gonna go Husky and I was looking at the 338XPT. Any suggestions on the Husky modles would help. Also, could someone please explain to me what the "California Special" entails?

Mangoes

My impression of the Cali special, it provides the same HP but requires the larger cc to do so AND meet emmisions. I could be sucking wind too.

murse

I run the 335's, man are they cold blooded, hard starting even when new, does not matter how clean you keep the air cleaner. They rip when running though. Personally I will be looking at the stihl next time. hope this helped

R_Schra

When making a choise for the saws we run we mostly look to the dealership. No point of having a $0.02 cheaper saw when parts and support is far to find. We have a very good Stihl dealer that delivers needed parts every day or within 24hours at our own repairshop. I always worked with Stihl, the times i used a Husky or Echo or Jonsered they looked good saws to me to. The advantage i like about a Stihl is the easy maintenance and parts replacement.

Phil

What model stihl saw do you find to be the most reliable or have the best power to weight ratio? (for the climbing saws at least)

TomBartman

I think both husky and stihl are very compairable. I feel stihl's 200T climber is very over priced. I stick with the husky 338xpt or 334t. Both excellent saws. 338xpt pro model (.2 cu. larger engine and same weight)and 334t (.3 hp less than 338xpt) 335 has lots of carb. problems and was replaced with the 334t.

R_Schra

I dont know the cost for a husky, I use the MS200T. That one is about 660€ if im correct (adviced resell price in netherlands) (850$ if im right in changing the current)

Phil

I'm looking up prices for the MS200T and it looks to be 500+ bucks. Looks like I might have to wait a while before I get it. I need to start working again. This student crap is killin me.

R_Schra

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking up prices for the MS200T and it looks to be 500+ bucks. Looks like I might have to wait a while before I get it. I need to start working again. This student crap is killin me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the new MS192T ? thats a lighter saw as the MS200T

Some talk about the M192T (for who wants to look)

I believe its half the cost from a MS200T.

MS192T specs;

Technische Daten

Empfohlene maximale Schnittlänge 45 cm
Gewicht ohne Schiene/Kette 3,0 kg
Hubraum 30,1 cm³
Leistung 1,3/1,8 kW/PS
Leistungsgewicht 2,3 kg/kW
Oilomatic Sägekette Teilung/Type 3/8" Picco Micro Mini

Ausstattung

Antivibrationssystem *
Einhebelbedienung *
ElastoStart o
Ematic-Kettenschmiersystem *
Haltevorrichtung o
Kompensator *
Manuelle Kraftstoffpumpe (Purger) *
QuickStop-Kettenbremse *
Seitliche Kettenspannung *
Werkzeugloser Tankverschluss *

*-standard
o-option

MS200T specs;

Technische Daten

Empfohlene maximale Schnittlänge 45 cm
Gewicht ohne Schiene/Kette 3,5 kg
Hubraum 35,2 cm³
Leistung 1,7/2,3 kW/PS
Leistungsgewicht 2,1 kg/kW
Oilomatic Sägekette Teilung/Type 3/8" Picco Micro 1

Ausstattung

Antivibrationssystem *
Einhebelbedienung *
ElastoStart *
Ematic-Kettenschmiersystem *
Haltevorrichtung o
Kompensator *
Mengenregulierbare Ölpumpe *
QuickStop-Kettenbremse *
Seitliche Kettenspannung *
Werkzeugloser Tankverschluss *

Phil

Looks like the 192T might be the trick for me. Any buddy here used it much? I read the stuff posted on AS and it seems to be pretty reliable.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Not that I am endorsing this, but you can pull out the spark arrestor on the 192T as well. /forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rborist1

That will make it run really fast.......................... /forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forum/images/graemlins/9lame.gif

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
[ QUOTE ]
That will make it run really fast.......................... /forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forum/images/graemlins/9lame.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Relax, byson /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gifmeatball!

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
[ QUOTE ]
LOL /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's Bison!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oppps! /forum/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

Still funny though! LOL! I'm playing poker, I guess I'm not too focused. /forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Phil

We're sorry to do this Mark, but the guys from UWSP just wanted to share with you a recent memory.

Actually....we're not really sorry at all. Maybe if you talk to your friends at Stihl about hooking us up with some "complimentary upgrades" things will change here in point.

Attachments

Phil

One more for the viewing audience (a before pic of a red oak removed entirley by the UWSP SSA)the tree was removed for the sole purpose of moving the house. It was a beautiful tree and we were sad to see it go but for many of us, it was a tremendous learning experience.

Attachments