New climber

oceans

In my opinion, the most advantageous aspect of SRWP is the ability to bolster tree structure by loading in compression. Yes, it takes more time to thread the climbing line in some circumstances, but I feel that time is more than made up for in the safety and security of the best possible work positioning.

That, and everything else. ;)

peder-d

Great thread :) and awesome video with the knee ascender !

Have heard that the vt is a bit too unreliable combined with the rope wrench. Can some SRT veterans perhaps post some pictures of their prusik / rope wrench setup?

And another question: is it ok to work SRT on a full static line? Normally I have always learned / taught that full static is only for access (footlock) and then you always have to work on a semi static line (imori etc).

It's really hard to find the basics about SRT - I think :-/

JontreeHI

I use vt with rope wrench, but with a twist. After my last braid, I put a few twists in the hitch cord, like the cooper hitch, and this solved any issues with the legs gettin stuck under the pulley. Grabs reliably every time, tends well.
Sorry, no photos, traveling home today, but I can try later if I'm not describing it well

fireman33

Got the hitch hiker from my wife for Christmas as well as a ct foot ascender and a friction saver for ddrt.

Now I just have to tune it up some and should be rope walking in no time.

Attachments

DSMc

Congratulations, fireman33! You have what I consider the safest and best multisender currently available. Do have fun experimenting with different rope and hitch combinations but don't overlook the HH hitch shown in the instructions. It can be very good.
If you can't cobble together a knee ascender it would be better to just use your foot ascender but with one foot on top of the other so you can push with both legs. Having an ascender above the HH will just make things awkward. I don't recall if you mentioned the harness you are using but if it has a bridge ring, adding a pulley will really keep things smooth.
Good luck!

20150825_114938-1_resized.jpg

fireman33

I have the buckcat saddle by buckingham with liger mod. I don't have a knee ascender. I made a small tether for the spine of the hh and I will make myself a chest harness to clip to it so it self-advance. I'm really looking forward to using the new setup.

DSMc

What you describe will work well. I personally got tired of messing around with those small tethers on the carabiner and now just clip my chest harness onto the bridge ring. Having the Fix pulley also on the ring makes it all work.
One more thought. If you try the HH hitch, bounce on it hard a couple of times taking up slack between each bounce, before heading up the rope. This will go a long way to insure that the hitch grip you start with is the same you finish with.

fireman33

Here is a quick video I made today, it's hard to see because of the doors in the background it makes everything looking so dark.

I'm very satisfied the way things work. Foot ascender on my right foot. Tending the hitchhiker with a sling on my left hand clipped to a tether on the HH. A foot strap to my left foot clipped in the bottom of the hitchhiker binner. Everytime I take a step with my left foot it engages the hitchhiker making it possible to climb.

Bhard47

Here is a quick video I made today, it's hard to see because of the doors in the background it makes everything looking so dark.

I'm very satisfied the way things work. Foot ascender on my right foot. Tending the hitchhiker with a sling on my left hand clipped to a tether on the HH. A foot strap to my left foot clipped in the bottom of the hitchhiker binner. Everytime I take a step with my left foot it engages the hitchhiker making it possible to climb.

Looks awesome! I'm about to be in the same boat you were in. I'm leaning toward the HH2. What rope are you climbing on?

fireman33

Looks awesome! I'm about to be in the same boat you were in. I'm leaning toward the HH2. What rope are you climbing on?
Im climbing on New England km3 for now, it's the first rope I've ever climb on doing tree work and I know it's not a "tree work" rope because it's static...but I do like it even though I have nothing to compare it too, would like to try something else...I might buy another rope from tree stuff if the Canadian dollar ever gets better.

Bhard47

The only rope I've used for tree work is 16 strand arbormaster, which I love but the more I read on here the more I learn that it's not suited well for srt equipment...