New Choking Crane Sling Stays on Hook

dbl612

Me too royce...its how we have gotten this far in life...(and went to the moon some time ago) but i'm with you...i want shit locked on...bad enough you sometimes have to worry about the tree holding together...now the chinese have a roll in this? They tried to kill our dogs and children 8 years ago...now we need their knot?!
the same people that get excited by this also get excited about spider legs because they can't rig a piece properly and they are scared it might move a bit.

Steve Connally

the same people that get excited by this also get excited about spider legs because they can't rig a piece properly and they are scared it might move a bit.
Thats a fairly misrepresented comment. This is apples and oranges. Dead eye crane slings are great and I use them every chance I get, does that make me less of a rigger than someone who uses a single sling?

Back to the point. I'm in the same boat. It's a cool idea and all but i'm not hardly sold on this. I just don't understand why we need this. Its convenient but at what cost.

allmark

I'm with Royce and others. I would like to see it in use to be able to make a fair judgement. I don't see it as being quicker than other set ups out there. Just different,which can be good. What we really need is easily adjustable synthetic slings, that would make a huge difference in the efficiency of crane work.

flyingsquirrel25

I see this as trying to fix a problem that did not exist prior to the concept of this sling. Like Royce I don't have an issue with installing a sling and shackle efficiently, even spider legs no problem, or an eye and eye. My biggest complaint would be the security concerns... Followed by the hollow braid construction which is notorious for picking especially when working with cranes. I have a whole set of tenex spider legs that lasted a couple jobs (rough barked trees) and are all picked.

Steve Connally

I'm just thinking the trade off of nanoseconds doesn't equal the piece of mind I have with a properly tied hitch or a shackle. Wesspurr has a soft shackle setup for attaching a block to a sling. They actually have a sling, screamer, and the block is attached to the screamer via soft shackle. I'm not pickin up what they're layin down. If i'm worried about forces i'll rig smaller and no rely on the soft shackle failure or the screamer. Anyway it's not like were working on hundreds of pounds with the crane pics. More often than not its thousands or tens of thousands. PCtree has the ideal set up using chain. Quick on and quick off, totally adjustable and bombproof. With the little crane that could we drag pics through other trees and all over the place. I'd hate to have a sturdy something pop my soft shackle.

ROYCE

The other option if your looking to have a quick connection is the Gambo...Or Gumbo hooks. I know Mayer Tree Service uses them and they are rough, tough, and snap on super quick.

dbl612

The other option if your looking to have a quick connection is the Gambo...Or Gumbo hooks. I know Mayer Tree Service uses them and they are rough, tough, and snap on super quick.
gunnebo hooks. go on and off slings quickly as needed. dress well and no sling damage at all.

SJ_Treeguy

I thought tenex was going to be a good fit for crane work but i found out as others did that it does not last . I see the concept i just don't see the application for crane work, generally we use multiple 1/2 inch endura braid single eye slings for our brush picks and 3/4 inch amsteel with the Gunnebo hooks (5 ton Rating) for our wood picks and as Royce stated the ground crew normally untie or unhook fast enough .
I see the point about steel hooks or shackles on the end of a sling swinging around, most of us have been doing or teaching others about crane work and we stress pay attention , unless you get a new to the industry crane operator the slings are not swinging around, sometimes people can think so hard to invent that they think right past what they want to simplify .

BigWood

Get a crane operator to a job site and then show them that.... I dare you! Please get the reaction on camera to share with the rest of the class.

bonner1040

The guys that have used them all seem to like it. Lots of other options if this isn't your thing.

Nothing new ever came about because people didn't try new stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JakeRiggs

I said the
I willing to bet my crew can get a traditional sling off and on a piece just as fast, if not faster. We have the security of knowing its not going to fall off.
I think it could be practical in some situations. I just don't know about the security and longevity of it. I would be nervous of swinging a piece of timber over a roof. I would be interested to hear from those who have field tested it. I would also be interested to see how it comes undone after a large piece is lifted and the system is loaded.
I like the outside the box thinking!!
Same thing on their Facebook page.