New Choking Crane Sling Stays on Hook

Magnum783

Very nice nick! Erik looks less than thrilled about you cutting him off at the waist. LOL. I really like the idea will be curious to watch them progress and hear reviews

NE Tree

What kind of breaking strength does the system as a whole have compared to the mbs of the cordage?

96coal449

Nice Nick! Well thought out. Great time saver on production crane work. Both in the air and on the ground.
Is it a double braid? DB choker. (nice ring to it)
Or is it a hollow? HB choker.

Mangoes

I was wondering when soft shackles were going to migrate from high performance sailing to Arboriculture.

craneguy1

It's interesting fo sho...what is the ball of fluf hollow braid knot looking thing that is holding it together? Can you make a version that is adjustable as well? Lol.

craneguy1

The "big ugly glob of crap knot looking thing that somehow holds a choker hitch that you hang your company and livelyhood on rigging sling." J/k. I love ya Nick... just want some more info.

P.s. that's my name.

craneguy1

Watched it a 3rd time...what about incorporating an adjustable sleeve to help prevent melting on heavy and or if a sling slips? Kinda like a how a safety lanyard sold nowadays. Just a thought.

NE Tree

Watched it a 3rd time...what about incorporating an adjustable sleeve to help prevent melting on heavy and or if a sling slips? Kinda like a how a safety lanyard sold nowadays. Just a thought.
Yep, a piece of chafe sleeve or something for the rope on rope friction

Brocky

Most soft shackles use a diamond knot. Brion Toss came up with one that uses a Chinese buttonhole knot, that tests out to over twice the strength of a single strand. There are also a couple other types that double the strength.
IMG_1074.JPG
A soft shackle can also be added to an existing sling.

Last edited:

dbl612

it would be interesting if your new system gets approval for use by the standard agencies that regulate the lifting industry. while it seems innovative and convenient, there are variables involved that are dependent on the user properly dressing the loop on the knot. very different than the positive connection that a round sling, wire choker, or flat sling provide. even a sling with a gunnebo j-hook has the possibility to disconnect if not applied properly. i'm certain there are liability issues that the manufacturer would have to address including a health list of disclaimers. use of this item would bring serious concerns with crane rental companies regarding its lack of positive connection issues and overall liabilities. arborists utilizing their own cranes would embrace this without hesitation because for the most part, they are unregulated and many times their crane practices resemble the wild west.

ROYCE

I willing to bet my crew can get a traditional sling off and on a piece just as fast, if not faster. We have the security of knowing its not going to fall off.
I think it could be practical in some situations. I just don't know about the security and longevity of it. I would be nervous of swinging a piece of timber over a roof. I would be interested to hear from those who have field tested it. I would also be interested to see how it comes undone after a large piece is lifted and the system is loaded.
I like the outside the box thinking!!

craneguy1

Me too royce...its how we have gotten this far in life...(and went to the moon some time ago) but i'm with you...i want shit locked on...bad enough you sometimes have to worry about the tree holding together...now the chinese have a roll in this? They tried to kill our dogs and children 8 years ago...now we need their knot?!