Never forget

surveyor

Back when I was still in HS, my friend and I would go deep in the woods, up a wooded dirt lane, that eventually opened up into a glade, and just beyond an old shack in the midst of several large oaks. in the winter, smoke would curl up from the chimney and inside was an old hermit usually sitting by his old pot bellied stove, and spitting tobacco into an old soup can. He was friendly enough and seemed glad for our company. He told us he was a foot soldier in the Great war and served alongside black soldiers in the trenches. They were exposed to gas and had to wear the gas masks to survive. He said that Germans had not seen blacks before, and when they counter attacked, the Germans were shocked to see that the gas had changed the color of the soldiers skin, from white to black. He may have been spinning a yarn, but who knows. My home is now built in a subdivision in the woods, and our front yard is that glade. The old codger has passed, but the large oaks remain just up the road, and now shelter a new home.

Poor guy.
Psychological trauma was poorly understood.
Being a loner in the woods was probably a better life for him than if he had tried to seek treatment.

rico

Back when I was still in HS, my friend and I would go deep in the woods, up a wooded dirt lane, that eventually opened up into a glade, and just beyond an old shack in the midst of several large oaks. in the winter, smoke would curl up from the chimney and inside was an old hermit usually sitting by his old pot bellied stove, and spitting tobacco into an old soup can. He was friendly enough and seemed glad for our company. He told us he was a foot soldier in the Great war and served alongside black soldiers in the trenches. They were exposed to gas and had to wear the gas masks to survive. He said that Germans had not seen blacks before, and when they counter attacked, the Germans were shocked to see that the gas had changed the color of the soldiers skin, from white to black. He may have been spinning a yarn, but who knows. My home is now built in a subdivision in the woods, and our front yard is that glade. The old codger has passed, but the large oaks remain just up the road, and now shelter a new home.
Great story Surveyor!