Needing a bigger saw.

rico

The 661 weighs 16 lbs vs. 14lbs for the 440/460 saws, so it's not really substantially heavier. I climb with it regularly as my primary spar saw with a 20" bar on it.
Are you sayin you run a 20" bar on a 661?

theatertech87

Having held and used both, I'd need to be dead before I have up my 395s (work and a personal one). The 661 just didn't even compare. And while I rarely ever need to use it, I'll take a 3120 over an 880 any day.

Only thing I don't like about it is no side access chain tensioner, but that's really nit picky.
If you're looking to save a bit if weight the 38* saws husky used to make are pretty hard to beat as well

hseII

One last recommendation for the 395XP and I'm out. Simply the best 90cc saw on the planet for nearly 20 years. Grunt and chain speed in spades. No modern computer chips or other bullshit, just an on/off switch and a manual choke. A rare combination of extreme high performance and long-lasting durability that very few saws can match. My desert island saw, and I personally couldn't live without one.
Around a year or so back, I asked for feedback from one of the guys that does most of my porting: he probably touches between 350-400 saws a year: exact same use as the OP.

This porter said 395xp, W for me.

I asked him that same question today as this thread was on my mind & he flat footed said 661.

The Swedish built 395s are no more due to the Emissions rules in the EU.

New 395s these days are coming from Brazil & the Q.C. has taken a turn. Lots of little things that will cause issues over time.

FWIW.

I wish there was a legit 100cc saw on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
My 661 is a workhorse. I can cut 40" oak with a dull 36" bar and chain at the end of the day. It has not been to the shop in the three years I've had it. The 661 weighs 16 lbs vs. 14lbs for the 440/460 saws, so it's not really substantially heavier. I climb with it regularly as my primary spar saw with a 20" bar on it. They have a reputation for both new technology and reliability. I'm sure the equivalent husky is great, but I can't comment on it. It's just really hard to imagine how the 661 could be improved upon.
I bloody agree. It is my workhorse. I have it muffler modded. Super sweet saw. Loves the conditions and wood here. I cut at sea level a lot.

evo

Ok. So where I'm at the moment is:

I know what a 661 is, ran one, and know what I am looking at.

Many are saying a 395 is just as good if not better. About the same price.

So far it sounds like the 661 likes a little smaller bar than a 395, and oils less.

Warranty for a husky is 3 years, while stihl is 1

Only simi reliable dealer support locally is for stihl. Within a hour and a boat ride, better options.

RBJtree

A 660 is nowhere near a 661. Not even close. I.preferred my 460s to a 660.
Is the 661 really that much better than the 660? Usually I hear people saying the newer saws are worse, like the 200 being better than the 201. But the 441 I just got is pretty damn good. Its been years since I ran a 440 though, so I can't really compare.

colb

Are you sayin you run a 20" bar on a 661?
I run the 20" bar 90% of the time. I do about 1 "big" tree a month, where the bottom trunk needs a 36" bar. The rest are run-of-the-mill" types - 24" pines, oaks, and whatnot. I get a lot more control in my back cuts with the 661. As soon as I have a stem tipped the right way I can power through.

Reach

Is the 661 really that much better than the 660? Usually I hear people saying the newer saws are worse, like the 200 being better than the 201. But the 441 I just got is pretty damn good. Its been years since I ran a 440 though, so I can't really compare.
I just picked up a new 661 this past week, after my 660 lost a clutch. 8 years old, I would say it paid for itself.

The new 661 is impressive, it definitely outruns the old 660, and has a few nice little features. I like the single switch for all the controls, no separate choke or throttle lock. It’s a big enough switch to find easily with gloves on too, in the winter. The captive bar nuts are real nice too, sure beats hunting around in the leaves for the one that fell!

Scheffa

Round here in aus the 660 is legendary, the pros choice of saw whether that be arb work or logging.
I run from 16-42” bars on my 660 and 661 for falling and milling and noodling firewood. Both saws handle the big bar no worries with the 660 pulling it slightly better.
My go to saw for most work now is a 462, so far is a hell of a saw

Bango Skank

I just picked up a new 661 this past week, after my 660 lost a clutch. 8 years old, I would say it paid for itself.

The new 661 is impressive, it definitely outruns the old 660, and has a few nice little features. I like the single switch for all the controls, no separate choke or throttle lock. It’s a big enough switch to find easily with gloves on too, in the winter. The captive bar nuts are real nice too, sure beats hunting around in the leaves for the one that fell!
Probably wouldn't take much to get your 660 going again, sometimes it's a little tough getting an old clutch off but not too hard. New clutch is pretty cheap too, especially aftermarket.

Barc Buster

Interesting little comparison here between the 661 and 395 in this thread. If your talking brand new saws, and given your dealer support, I'd go 661 @evo. The new 395s come out of Brazil and aren't nearly the saw the swedish made ones were. If we are talking nice used saws I'd say pick the 395 for its extra grunt. Throw some .404 on it and let it eat wood.

Woodwork

I've got a Chinese/Taiwanese/German/Italian/American frankenstein 660 I bought on ebay last year from a builder in B.C. and have been very pleased with it so far, FWIW. Opened up the muffler and richened the carb and it really pulls.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I honestly thought the 660 was a turd. I never owned one but borrowed my buddies from time to time. I used 460s. That being said I own a 661 with 3 bars 25..28..36. Ported muffler and she is such a great saw. Torquey.....the 660 was gutless IMHO compared. Once you let the newer saws breathe they are a whole different animal.