Needing a bigger saw.

evo

So to start off I’m not very brand loyal. I’ve been running Stihls, mostly due to dealer support, and keeping the equipment consistent.

I’m looking at picking up a bigger saw, and looking for comparisons between a husky 395xp and a 661.

There is a husky down the street, with a short bar, no full wrap for just under a grand.

I called for a quote on a 661 3/4 wrap, and 32” bar and got a price of $1299

I’d imagine by the time I add a 3/4 and a bigger bar I’d be looking about the same price, or just a smidge under for the husky.

I’ve used a 661 with a 32” and honestly wasn’t that impressed. Chain speed seemed slower than a 440 with a 28”. Maybe a little more torque, but with the added weight I’d opt to double cut with the 440 before pulling out the 661.

What I really want is a inbetweeny intermediate from a 661 and a 880

hseII

So to start off I’m not very brand loyal. I’ve been running Stihls, mostly due to dealer support, and keeping the equipment consistent.

I’m looking at picking up a bigger saw, and looking for comparisons between a husky 395xp and a 661.

There is a husky down the street, with a short bar, no full wrap for just under a grand.

I called for a quote on a 661 3/4 wrap, and 32” bar and got a price of $1299

I’d imagine by the time I add a 3/4 and a bigger bar I’d be looking about the same price, or just a smidge under for the husky.

I’ve used a 661 with a 32” and honestly wasn’t that impressed. Chain speed seemed slower than a 440 with a 28”. Maybe a little more torque, but with the added weight I’d opt to double cut with the 440 before pulling out the 661.

What I really want is a inbetweeny intermediate from a 661 and a 880
What length bar are you planning on running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

evo

32”-36”. Maybe some occasional milling of softer hardwoods aka bigleaf maple

hseII

32”-36”. Maybe some occasional milling of softer hardwoods aka bigleaf maple
If 36” was the main bar length, I’d go MS661R.

If over that, 395.

I personally run a 32” on Ported 461Rs but I’m goofy.

Chain Speed = chain speed as long as the power head has the Stones to pull it.

If you were going with a 41” B&C, I’d go with the 395, but the 661 weighs noticeably less.

A 661R will pull & oil a 36” adequately after you knock the Oiler pin in.

0.063” chain is your friend on the longer bars.

hseII

Maybe I am just getting old, but that kid seems a little young to be driving wedges walking on uneven grass in that busy noisy environment with the chain at neck level .....
That kid’s dad is the logger on the right side in the green shirt: he is the man primarily responsible for that kid.

I’ll hazard a guess you wouldn’t of approved of my upbringing either.

Nothing wrong with that as it is a differing of opinions, but around home, a father doesn’t wait till the kid graduates high school to introduce them to work: It’s too late by then in my experience.

RBJtree

I've never needed much chain speed except for fast cuts with a top handle. My big saws stay in the middle of the rpm range. Cut the rakers right and let it dig. Tourqe is king. That being said, I've only run Stihls. I want to try a big husky someday. My 6 year old 660 cuts faster with a 32" than my new 441c with a 25", but the 441c is surprisingly good... and loud. The 441c is louder than the 660. I don't get why. I've never had any need for a full wrap, but I guess if you never need to cut stumps as low as possible it couldn't hurt.

evo

I've never needed much chain speed except for fast cuts with a top handle. My big saws stay in the middle of the rpm range. Cut the rakers right and let it dig. Tourqe is king. That being said, I've only run Stihls. I want to try a big husky someday. My 6 year old 660 cuts faster with a 32" than my new 441c with a 25", but the 441c is surprisingly good... and loud. The 441c is louder than the 660. I don't get why. I've never had any need for a full wrap, but I guess if you never need to cut stumps as low as possible it couldn't hurt.
Torque is king, but when felling sketchy big stuff I need speed as well. Chasing a barber chair, or out cutting a barber chair is one big reason. Bucking wood I need torque...
3/4 wraps I cannot live without any more. There are on every saw I own larger than my 261, standing at the stump it's so nice and comfortable when felling where you only have access to one side of the tree. Except for driving the mini over a stump, I never need to cut a stump lower than 4-6" from the ground, let the grinders the rest of it

Bango Skank

If it was my choice, I'd get the 395xp.

I wish I still had my old ms440. My 441cm gets the job done but I've never been impressed by it.

evo

Well I screwed up, the husky on the shelf wasn't a 395.. Considering dealer support, and about the same price point I'm leaning for a 661. I can't see needing anything more than a 36" and realistically the 32" would only come out to play half a dozen to 12 times per year.

evo

I wish I still had my old ms440. My 441cm gets the job done but I've never been impressed by it.
my line up is a 150, 020t, 261, 361, 440, and my dads ole 045 pro5.
The 150, 261, and 361 come out to play nearly every day
BUT if I only could have a few of these saws it would be the 020, and 440! I'm going to keep them strong for as long as possible. Perhaps even buy up a few pistons and spare parts while they are still OEM

Serf Life

440 are awesome saws, right there with 372s for reliability and balance. Don't need 90+cc saw for 32" bar unless you want it to really rip. Put a 24" bar on the 395xp for some firewood once, christ she buttered.

RBJtree

Torque is king, but when felling sketchy big stuff I need speed as well. Chasing a barber chair, or out cutting a barber chair is one big reason. Bucking wood I need torque...
3/4 wraps I cannot live without any more. There are on every saw I own larger than my 261, standing at the stump it's so nice and comfortable when felling where you only have access to one side of the tree. Except for driving the mini over a stump, I never need to cut a stump lower than 4-6" from the ground, let the grinders the rest of it
The stumper I rent is a weak ass piece of shit. 4-6 inches of wood makes a huge difference for me. Especially on 3 and 4 foot diameter oak stumps, but on everything else too. 90% + of my trees are in residential yards with access from both sides and I pretty much always cut, even notches, with my hand on the top behind the break. I'd love to never cut a stump low or grind one. I should find a stump sub.

oldoakman

My son in law picked up a 395xp used that probably had 2 tanks of fuel through it for $700. Great buy. I should have bought its twin.

rico

Well I screwed up, the husky on the shelf wasn't a 395.. Considering dealer support, and about the same price point I'm leaning for a 661. I can't see needing anything more than a 36" and realistically the 32" would only come out to play half a dozen to 12 times per year.
One last recommendation for the 395XP and I'm out. Simply the best 90cc saw on the planet for nearly 20 years. Grunt and chain speed in spades. No modern computer chips or other bullshit, just an on/off switch and a manual choke. A rare combination of extreme high performance and long-lasting durability that very few saws can match. My desert island saw, and I personally couldn't live without one.

colb

My 661 is a workhorse. I can cut 40" oak with a dull 36" bar and chain at the end of the day. It has not been to the shop in the three years I've had it. The 661 weighs 16 lbs vs. 14lbs for the 440/460 saws, so it's not really substantially heavier. I climb with it regularly as my primary spar saw with a 20" bar on it. They have a reputation for both new technology and reliability. I'm sure the equivalent husky is great, but I can't comment on it. It's just really hard to imagine how the 661 could be improved upon.

Bango Skank

my line up is a 150, 020t, 261, 361, 440, and my dads ole 045 pro5.
The 150, 261, and 361 come out to play nearly every day
BUT if I only could have a few of these saws it would be the 020, and 440! I'm going to keep them strong for as long as possible. Perhaps even buy up a few pistons and spare parts while they are still OEM
Very similar to my lineup as well, and I will soon be buying a bigger saw too, as the 441 is my big guy right now.

I'm waiting for reviews and feedback from folks about the new 500i. I'm in no hurry to buy and I'd like feedback about it's longevity which I can't really count on for another 2 years or so.