Need some advice on a trolley system

Gorman

I have an unpleasant situation where there’s about 12,000 lbs of wood at the bottom of a steep hill that may have to come out. No crane access, no machine access (anything would tip over). I have a two huge red oaks at the bottom and top of the hill to utilize as rigging anchors. The issue I have is the wood is about 30’ away from the oak at the bottom of the hill.

The second pic there’s a oak right to my left out of scene.

Leroy

It looks like one of the lower trees might be tall enough to make a slow line, meaning anchor a rope as high as possible in a downhill tree, attach load to rope with slings as you would a speed line, redirect rope uphill and tension rope with a skidsteer, truck, grcs, etc. load will float up to you. Sorry if you knew this already and it wont work on this site.

Gorman

It looks like one of the lower trees might be tall enough to make a slow line, meaning anchor a rope as high as possible in a downhill tree, attach load to rope with slings as you would a speed line, redirect rope uphill and tension rope with a skidsteer, truck, grcs, etc. load will float up to you. Sorry if you knew this already and it wont work on this site.
I hear what you’re saying. Not a bad idea, but how much weight should I limit myself to? Would the grcs be enough for 500lbs pieces?

evo

What are you working with? How many winches do you have? Mini?

English reeves work well, but you need two spar trees, and two pulling systems. One to lift and the other to move horizontally. You can do some with a high tail spar, and just one winch. Set up the tail with a porta wrap or other bollard. Then just winch the other end of the log. You can get quite the rise, but it takes a f ton of pressure on the spars.
Hope this helps. Pm me and I will send you my digits if this isn’t clear enough

Gorman

What isn’t clear is if im going to break something hauling 500lbs up that hill. Would a 5/8 line be enough for the tension line?

Leroy

I hear what you’re saying. Not a bad idea, but how much weight should I limit myself to? Would the grcs be enough for 500lbs pieces?
My guess is yes, a grcs could tension the rope with 500lbs on it in that config. Sorry though I don't know for sure. I only ever used that setup with brush and a chipper winch, it worked well enough. I learned it from a vid posted on this site some years ago, thought it was oldfart but can't find it now.

evo

What isn’t clear is if im going to break something hauling 500lbs up that hill. Would a 5/8 line be enough for the tension line?
Doubt it would be any kind of issue, just keep the angle nice and open. You don’t need much pick and one end can even drag a little. But without a drill adapter that is a shit ton of cranking.
I do this with a 5/8ths or 9/16 main line, 1/2” control lines and 1/2” lift line. I actually don’t know the name of all the lines but you get it

Last edited:

Bango Skank

I was just going to mention the offya

There was a great article in a recent TCIA about using a high line to pull debris uphill. Anyone remember which issue that was ?
http://tcimag.tcia.org/publication/?i=547743#{"issue_id":"547743","view":"articleBrowser","article_id":"3254295"}

This? Excellent read.

Link isn't taking me right to the article, but December 2018 article.

Reactions: ATH

ATH

Option A: Could you put the wood on a cart (Arbor Trolley, for example 500# is no problem for that) and pull it up with a winch?

Option B: let the logs rot and/or bonfire over there in the grass. Grass is easy to replace...

Option C: (if they have to be gone sooner than rotting will allow and a fire won't work): roll them into the lake ;)

Gorman

Option A: Could you put the wood on a cart (Arbor Trolley, for example 500# is no problem for that) and pull it up with a winch?

Option B: let the logs rot and/or bonfire over there in the grass. Grass is easy to replace...

Option C: (if they have to be gone sooner than rotting will allow and a fire won't work): roll them into the lake ;)
All the wood is on the other side of a stream. Can’t get anything in to lift it.

Chaplain242

At end of day the highline is just to lift loads to stop dragging over ground or obstructions. If don’t mind dragging a sled or cart (as ATH mentioned) with a long rope attached to a vehicle via a redirect will get it done pretty quick.

Highlines are a little labour intensive, but manageable, just make sure you use friction anchors on one end of the high lines so you don’t snap anything if lifting 500lbs over that distance, as the tension will be fairly high. Better to slip and lower the load to ground and reasses than to snap expensive ropes.

I have trash ropes dedicated to dragging for just this type of scenario. A sled does surprisingly little damage so is probably worth a look - a car bonnet would suffice..

Gorman

At end of day the highline is just to lift loads to stop dragging over ground or obstructions. If don’t mind dragging a sled or cart (as ATH mentioned) with a long rope attached to a vehicle via a redirect will get it done pretty quick.

Highlines are a little labour intensive, but manageable, just make sure you use friction anchors on one end of the high lines so you don’t snap anything if lifting 500lbs over that distance, as the tension will be fairly high. Better to slip and lower the load to ground and reasses than to snap expensive ropes.

I have trash ropes dedicated to dragging for just this type of scenario. A sled does surprisingly little damage so is probably worth a look - a car bonnet would suffice..
I hear ya. It’s just that the pieces are 38” across. To put them on a sled we’d have to quarter them, maybe more.

deevo

I have an unpleasant situation where there’s about 12,000 lbs of wood at the bottom of a steep hill that may have to come out. No crane access, no machine access (anything would tip over). I have a two huge red oaks at the bottom and top of the hill to utilize as rigging anchors. The issue I have is the wood is about 30’ away from the oak at the bottom of the hill.

The second pic there’s a oak right to my left out of scene.
My avant would do that hill no problem and no grass damage, anyone you know around have one you can sub out?

Gorman

My avant would do that hill no problem and no grass damage, anyone you know around have one you can sub out?
No it wouldn’t. The pic doesn’t do the side slant justice. I have a gehl 540 and it would flip just going down the hill with no load