NE Fly

goodaking

Derrick, how is the vortex in comparison to PI? I’m looking for something little bigger Than my 10m HTP but don’t want to lose that nice feel of making progress as you ascend. PI,luna would be my second choice as i have 80ft of pi and like the feel. I just need to get a 200 footer.

goodaking

Basically just have my ground peeps base tie me in. Or just ride up the line I’m going to climb off of but bring a backup line for security. Or if you get into a situation just have ground crew lower you from base tie in point.

I plan on using the wrench once i get situated in the tree then lower wraptor.

I want the best of both worlds. For big and mutiple climbs i want the wrapter but i don't want to have to go back to ddrt. i love the smooth action with the wrench through redirects and easy retrieval.

countryboypa31

Vortex has a nice feel. Its def bigger than PI. In terms of stretch, its not going to be as static as htp. I don't know the elongation numbers on it compared to PI. Someone else might be able to answer that question better. Its been a long time since i climbed on PI. I can't really compare them.

Gypsy_Climber

The climbing rope chart in the 2012 Sherrill Catalog has elastic elongation % @ 540 lbs.

Fly - 2.2%
PI - 1.8%
Lava (Tachyon) 2.4%
Vortex - 1.4%
HTP - 0.63%
KMIII 2.4%

For reference the climbing line with the most is Safety blue at 4.5%

Sirnick

I'll vouch for the Imori, I have a 150ft and 240ft which i use on SRT with the uni and i love it i am 110kg and experience no bounce on it

I ordered the Luna, it is PI in a different colour, Luke asked for someone to give him a name for the rope, so I suggested "Yale Luna", he went with it:)

moss

[ QUOTE ]
Andrew
Did you find the imori equal or more bouncy then Pi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't SRT'd on PI in a long time so I can't compare bounce. I like the hand feel of Imori over PI.
-AJ

moss

Comparing Vortex and Imori specs...

Imori is 12mm vs Vortex 12.7mm.

Imori is a little less rope weight.

Both are poly cover, nylon core

Elongation values are apples and oranges, Vortex = 1.4% at @ 540 pounds, Imori = 1.6% @ 650 pounds.

If Vortex has the same hand feel as Velocity (scaled up of course to 12.7mm diameter) then Imori is probably going to win with its more textured surface. But since it's 12mm it might all balance out anyway.

Looks like these ropes are really close.

Has anyone climbed both with the wrench to compare?
-AJ

I was tempted by imori, but I heard from a few guys about sticking hitches with it, that would be a no for me absolutely, especially in a working situation where things need to happen fast and run smooth.

I've been loving Imori. It works exceptionally well with the Petzl Rig (although slightly out of spec'd diameter). I was a velocity fan before I got Imori and it is certainly a lot healthier on my hands.

Adam_P

[ QUOTE ]
I've been loving Imori. It works exceptionally well with the Petzl Rig (although slightly out of spec'd diameter). I was a velocity fan before I got Imori and it is certainly a lot healthier on my hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I still have and use my velocity but imori is my go to rope. Glad too know someone else is running it through a Rig too. I don't use hitches much anymore so I can't comment on how imori works with them but it's been great in all my mechanical stuff.

cthompson22

I really hated the imori when I was using it on ddrt I had a bunch of trouble with my hitch I was using both 8 and 10mm ocean with it and it was just so grabby I couldnt get a hitch to release nice. I have since started using both vortex and imori with the wrench. I use 10mm armor prus now for my hitch cord and it works great with imori, I would say that it is probably my favorite rope now for the wrench, vortex coming in second.

Reason being when I am making a quick ascent with just the pantin I get much better grip on the imori making my hands hurt less, the vortex is bigger but it is much more slick which makes it worse for me. As far as stretch they seem about the same I would say. When I buy a new rope it will be another hank of imori.

goodaking

All very good info thank you! Now time to set up a rec climb with all these lines that I’m interested in!

Love to get some feedback from Reg coats on that imori I know he was rockin it out with the wrench as well.

Adkpk

Put me an the invite list. I got lava, blaze and just happen to have a hank of fly. It's not 120' but somewhere around there.

Where is Reg these days don't recall seeing his post in a while.

Adkpk

I also have trees over in the Catskills if you want to go for a little ride. Three big poplars in the front (don't hesitate to bring something sharp with you in case you come across some dead wood lol). And a monster of a white pine over in the woods. I'm in where ever.