NE Fly

It is a kernmantle rope, and I know a lot of climbers did not like it for DdRT, but I'm wondering how it would work for SRT and the RW?

it is not expensive and looks like it would do the job well in that application?

flyingsquirrel25

I have a section of fly that I climb SRT RW on. I have not had problems with it. The cover seems to be a bit tougher than tachyon. So my foot ascender doesnt pick as easy. I have not noticed any "bouncy", I would actually venture to say that it has less than my tachyon. Unfortunately mine is only 110' long so I have only been able to use it on smaller climbs to 50'. Otherwise, I have to use my 150 or 200' tachyon. All in all I climb on the fly when I can because I like the feel and durability.

moss

I agree, I think Tachyon is bouncier than Fly. Fly is a good all-round climbing rope, but I like the overall firmer feel of Tachyon, it drops through a foot ascender better than Fly. But... I hate excessive bounce SRT so I only use Tachyon when I have to, Sterling HTP for me.

Cary have you tried Imori yet? I've only climbed on it once when Scrat let me try his custom Wrench with it. I think it's superb for SRT wrench climbing. Really excellent hand. For pure ascent efficiency it's always going to be HTP for me until something better comes along but for SRT hitch climbing I think Imori is tough to beat.
-AJ

if it doesn't drop thru a foot ascender well, I'm not going to be a fan of it, sometimes I find the rocket at 11.5 or 11.7 doesn't feed thru the pantin very well and that bugs me.

have not tried imori yet, maybe I'll have to look into that, how was the bouncy effect of it?

countryboypa31

I like the feel of it, soft. its small at 11mm, so it runs thru ascenders fairly well. Its not stiff at all so you need a little bit of rope beneath you before pantin tends itself.

As for less bouncy, mine feels so. But my fly is fairly new, my tachyon in older and well used. Could make a difference. Personally i like the feel of fly better than tachyon, always have. Can't beat the price.

If your looking for a new RW line though, try the Kernmaster from yale. Luke has it at treestuff.

[ QUOTE ]
I like the feel of it, soft. its small at 11mm, so it runs thru ascenders fairly well. Its not stiff at all so you need a little bit of rope beneath you before pantin tends itself.

As for less bouncy, mine feels so. But my fly is fairly new, my tachyon in older and well used. Could make a difference. Personally i like the feel of fly better than tachyon, always have. Can't beat the price.

If your looking for a new RW line though, try the Kernmaster from yale. Luke has it at treestuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

saw that wish it wasn't blue,,,,,I HATE blue rope ;) lol

countryboypa31

Blues, way better than green.

First green rope i had i almost cut through when removing ivy. Now i stay away from green.

scrat

[ QUOTE ]
if it doesn't drop thru a foot ascender well, I'm not going to be a fan of it, sometimes I find the rocket at 11.5 or 11.7 doesn't feed thru the pantin very well and that bugs me.

have not tried imori yet, maybe I'll have to look into that, how was the bouncy effect of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Low bounce like Poison Ivy, less than Tachyon and better hand than both.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
If you need the rope to feed through the Pantin add a shoelace loop to a throwbag and girth hitch it to your rope. Its just enough weight to hold the rope...not enough to pull it out.

I liked climbing on Fly...until Tachyon came around. Now...Tachyon all the way!

treeness

If your in a pinch, after I've taken the stretch out of my rope, I sit in it, and daisy chain my rope beneath the pantin so that it feeds through.

moss

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty minimal difference, Tachyon self-tends through a Pantin sooner when you're getting off the ground but I don't think it's a big deal.

If you're a bare-hand climber Fly is a little easier to grab than Tachyon. If you wear grippy gloves I'd give Tachyon the edge. I still think Imori is better than both for wrenching.

Scrat, what do you use for a mechanical descender when you're wrench climbing? I think you might have simply put an F8 on the tail below the wrench for a long descent but I could be making that up ;-)
-AJ

Jman

I'm partial to cougar blue, but since you stated you don't like blue rope that won't help. I've laid my htp access line to rest since I've been climbing on cougar blue. Maybe they will make it in a different color?!

I've also climbed on fly but remember it to be really bouncy. Never with the rope wrench but more bounce than PI.

Winch

Fly is awesome, with the wrench or double rope. Not bouncy, don't know what these people are talking about. I have tachyon in my bag as well, the Fly comes out a lot more. Maybe that's because it's 200'? It's a good rope.

Try them all sooner or later, you'll find good things in all of them.

goodaking

Andrew
Did you find the imori equal or more bouncy then Pi. I'm looking for a new 200ft wrench line that is more forgiving to my hands. I might get the new luna line not sure yet though?

We have been doing alot of tall trees lately here in ct and i'm even considering using a wrapter with wrench for bigger jobs.

ps lets set up a climb for mid fall, itching for a rec climb!