NAOM meetup

climbstihl

Just found out that the NAOM are now in DC, and I'm in DC right now too. Will be swinging by tomorrow, I would really like to meet a couple of you folks there.
Let me know where to meet. Any tips for specific events and vendors to check out are appreciated.

climbstihl

Well I must say I was a little disappointed when I got to the competition, I was thinking it would be a huge event like the ETCC I keep seeing pictures of on Instagram at the moment.
Anyway, I loved watching the climbing, and it was a pleasure to meet you, @Steve Connally and @yoyoman and also Nice Guy Dave.
The AR event was amazing, very interesting scenario for sure. I did enjoy watching the workclimbs too, although I didn't see much climbing at the wesspur tree.
I was amazed at the fact that almost everybody climbed on a wrench, I only saw one guy using a Unicender, Rope Runner and Zigzag.
I did come back today to watch some of the Masters, but unfortunately I got there just a little bit too late.
By the way, maybe it would help next time to let all the park staff know what's going on, because when I asked in the visitors center where you were set up, all I got was a: that's not here, tree climbing is prohibited in the park.

yoyoman

Well I must say I was a little disappointed when I got to the competition, I was thinking it would be a huge event like the ETCC I keep seeing pictures of on Instagram at the moment.
Anyway, I loved watching the climbing, and it was a pleasure to meet you, @Steve Connally and @yoyoman and also Nice Guy Dave.
The AR event was amazing, very interesting scenario for sure. I did enjoy watching the workclimbs too, although I didn't see much climbing at the wesspur tree.
I was amazed at the fact that almost everybody climbed on a wrench, I only saw one guy using a Unicender, Rope Runner and Zigzag.
I did come back today to watch some of the Masters, but unfortunately I got there just a little bit too late.
By the way, maybe it would help next time to let all the park staff know what's going on, because when I asked in the visitors center where you were set up, all I got was a: that's not here, tree climbing is prohibited in the park.
It was great to meet you as well. I think in AR is where there is more variations in techniques and gear, especially at NAOM because of the creativity and real life scenarios. Funny, most would call that "out of the box" thinking when it comes to comps. Remember, most people come at this with the restrictions that are set by other comps. In fact, watching this event it is interesting to see climbers try to make things fit in that box and when it does not fit, things go south. This was a tree with a pretty strong lean but few climbers inspected the back side. Few climbers mentioned the parachute and that in a real deal, could slip from whatever it was snagged on at any moment. Negative training is real and we fall into it without knowing it.
It was my pleasure and HUGE learning experience to hang with guys that know so much about victim care and everything else! If a person want to get training for cheap, go to a comp, especially NAOM.

climbstihl

I heard one climber mention that you should start putting stickers on the tree like you have on the victim, so the tree might have a simulated lightning hit or a disease.

yoyoman

I heard one climber mention that you should start putting stickers on the tree like you have on the victim, so the tree might have a simulated lightning hit or a disease.
I suppose if you are climbing an indoor structure of some sort set up to simulate a tree and an outdoor environment.

yoyoman

It would work well outdoors too. It'll just force the climber to be more alert when assesing the tree.
Kind of like an Easter egg hunt. Any environment will not have all of the issues to identify so the best thing for a competitor to do is to verbalize what is being looked for without getting into that box. I remember one comp there was a pretty good sized active squirrel hole in the main branch that the victim was on. I think one climber saw it. I saw it because I was standing there all day. My issue is that I know I'm a slow climber so I end up taking short cuts, I should not do that, go quickly but not rushed, just like it was a real deal. Easier said than done! Again, I fault most of the comps, there is a limited amount of time to give all of the climbers their turn so time is shortened.