Myoporum Thrips

NickfromWI

I have a set of trees that are between two apartment buildings. They are false sandalwood Myoporum sandwicense. They are heavily infected with aphids, mealy bug, AND myoporum thrips. Though this species of trees is not one of high value and are even considered invasive in many parts of southern california, these particular trees are very important to the tenants of the buildings. The two buildings are identical in structure. If you are looking out the window of one building, you are looking IN the window of the neighboring building. So not only are these trees providing shade and a lot of sound reduction from the street traffic, their most important role is one of screening.

They contacted me to see what was going on with the curled up leaves. I id'd the pest then contacted to local USDA to get their input. They did not have a specific anwer as to how I might rid the tree of most of the pests.

Is there a sort of systemic treatment that could be applied to all the trees to minimize the presence of these crummy little creatures?

I'm googling as we speak.

love
nick

NickfromWI

Looks like it is available in an injection. Cool!

Now where do I get it? I'll keep searching. Thanks, MP!

love
nick

mpriley02

Here's your local Bayer rep:

ED ISHIDA
1773 POWELL DRIVE
VENTURA, CA 93004
Phone: 805-647-6623
Cell: 805-701-4994
Fax: 805-647-2447

Merit injectable costs more than soil injection or drench (Merit 75WSP), and causes trunk wounding. Zenith is made by Bayer, is the same stuff, and costs less (but is not available as a trunk injection)

NickfromWI

Very cool! I contacted my local rep to see the price differences in the injection and the basal drench technique. Are there websites that sell it where I might be able to do a quick compare?

love
nick

mpriley02

I don't know of any sites that sell commercial quantities of imidacloprid (besides maybe QualiPro).

If your trees aren't that big, you can use Bayer Tree and Shrub from Lowes. Same active ingredient, just less concentration.

Freshy

I found that dawn dish soap in a hose end sprayer works on just about most sucking insects if you do it on a cool day it clogs there lugs or some such thing (not nearly as good as the rest of the readers) but its always worked for aphids with me and is not harmful to plants unless used on a hot day in which case it can burn the plant. Not sure about the rest of your bugs on those trees. But i use this solution at home on my trees and shrubs and so far so good.