mycorrhizal soil injection

Discussion in 'Pesticides and Ferts' started by arborvor, Feb 22, 2006.

1. arborvor

arborvor New Member

I wanted to know everyones thoughts, experience and research on injection of mycorrizal spores in the soil.

I've heard alot of conflicting stories that make me question why I should still use it.
  2. TreeDr

TreeDr New Member

If you want to grow something in the desert or the soil has been sterilized, then you may need it. Otherwise its snakeoil.
  3. arborvor

arborvor New Member

I would agree with that. I am surprised with only one reply to this issue?!
    I thought this is a hot topic of debate in our industry? /forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  4. RemovalWizzard

RemovalWizzard New Member

well maybe it has mostly been put to rest???? i know that everything that i have read states that: the amount of live spores in most companys product is less than 7% (after handling and packaging)

i will find the sources that i am quoting and will post later...

anyone else heard that?

If this is the case, there might not be a point in it....
  5. RemovalWizzard

RemovalWizzard New Member

6. arborvor

arborvor New Member

Maybe it's been put to rest? That it works or doesn't? I know thats a black and white response and their are alot of varibles to consider when appling to a specfic site.
    I think that if you talk to phc they will tell you that thier spores are 90-100% living. Diehard mycor living material? I know they get their mycro in a different way(processing) then PHC does.
    In sterial soils or strip mining I think it will work great in situations like that. For example downtown ATL. or construction sites.
    Mycro is only one piece of the puzzel for replaceing OM and nutrients back into the soil.
    I have heard that you need to inject mycro shallow into the ground because they need lots of oxygen to survive.Also that not all mycro that are on roots will benefit the tree they just live there.?
    Like the website you posted what are the names of product 1-4. Lets do some research and name names?.
  7. Colin

Colin Administrator

8. arborvor

arborvor New Member

Thanks for the info.Good stuff
  9. phasthound

phasthound New Member

As I understand it, mycorrhizal applications can be helpful when planting trees and shrubs, especially bare root planting. It can also be of benifit to innoculate seeds with it. However, all plants that require it will be innoculated naturally in time. I would only use it on mature trees if the soil has been distirbed by compaction or regrading. Even then, I use it in conjunction with areated compost tea. Does it help? I don't know.
  10. arborvor

arborvor New Member

I agree.I will use it only on specific job sites that I think will benefit from the mycro injections. To blanked every property I think is a wrong approach and a waste of money. Compost tea now thats a deep subject. What are your thoughts on that.
  11. TreeDr

TreeDr New Member

Compost tea seems like a no brainer. How could it not be good for trees? Sounds like a homerun to me. Wish I invented it
  12. phasthound

phasthound New Member

Aerobic compost tea is a great tool for plant health. It is not the miracle cure some people promote it as. If you use good tea you add a huge variety of beneficial organisms to the soil. But it is best used as part of a regular maintenance plan. These organisms must be feed so they can continue to do their part of providing nutrients to the plants. If you take these steps and add proper mulching and watering, you’ve got a winning program!
  13. arborvor

arborvor New Member

I heard it was a pain in the butt to get started because if you going to make your own tea it is time consuming process and you need to use what you brew that day.
  14. phasthound

phasthound New Member

aerobic compost tea

[ QUOTE ]
    I heard it was a pain in the butt to get started because if you going to make your own tea it is time consuming process and you need to use what you brew that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a learning process. You must have a good brewer and a source of good compost and knowledge of the process. It does take 18-24 hours to brew, but you don't have to watch it. You do have to use it the within 8-12 hours. So it takes some planning, but I think everyone should plan more than one day in advance what ever they are doing. The worst part is cleaning all equipment after each use.
    Or, you can sub it out if you have someone in the area.
    Barry Draycott
  15. arborvor

arborvor New Member

Re: aerobic compost tea

Yeah, thats the hard part we do not have a good source of compost or a place to store it.I run 3 crews so planning is a key part. It's hard to get the guys to clean out there truck, more or less to try to get them to clean all the equipment.
  16. treebing

treebing Well-Known Member

Another reason why capitalism blows sometimes. It is very difficult for an arborist to brew compost tea and manage his three crews. I think about that a lot, it would be nice to have a full scale vermicomposting project going on as well. It would be nice to have a crew working just on worms and compost tea and fungus prduction.

As for mycorhizae, I think most urban and suburban lawns are dead and sterilized to begin with. They theoretically would benefit by adding innoculant. Actually, in Detroit, the city's soil is healthier than suburban lawns sometimes because of the amount of pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers dumped in the burbs with all organic material hauled away. Dead yards can still be green, The color is maintained by chemical inputs like life support.

In those applications however, it is just silly to add living matter to the soil if the owner is just going to kill it after you leave with ortho or call in true green/chem lawn. A whole mental shift must occur with the customer before using these techniques sometimes.

kevin
  17. stickman

stickman New Member

how are you guys applying your compost teas drench or inject.
  18. jimmyq

jimmyq New Member

I use compost tea and mix it with a liquid kelp product, then foliar apply on smaller stuff, drench for bigger.