My UP Equip Experience

bnaley

This is really my first time doing a full review on a product buying experience but since it was so bad I feel it's my duty to share my experience with everyone to prevent anyone else from doing business with this horrible company. I just recently bought their 87-48AJ which is still in transit to Oahu as we speak so I can't give my opinion yet on their equipment so I will just be concentrating on their customer service and employees. Basically, I bought the lift brand new from them online and I let them know right off the bat that I'm on Oahu and I'm going to need some help at least getting it to Matson which is the company that ships from CA to HI. They were fine with this and went ahead with the sale. I gave them all the information regarding Matson's hours they were open, the booking number and their customer service line in case they had any problems. I had no idea who was shipping my lift until I received a call a week before it was expected to arrive at the port asking me if there was an unloading dock since they shipped it with a refrigerator container. This was a red flag that they went with a really cheap shipping company since your supposed to ship this equipment either with an open or enclosed trailer, especially to a port. No one did their due diligence or planned ahead for this so I called Matson and they said their ramp might be able to reach it but they weren't sure. I then had to buy the trailer for it and have it shipped over to the port to meet Up Equip's shipping company. I talked with the shipping company a day before they were scheduled to arrive and told me they were going to be there at 8am and to have the trailer there at that time. My trailer guy ended up arriving at 7:45am and the shipping company showed up 2 hours later. Turns out Matson's ramp was too short and they had no way to take the lift off the trailer. Someone eventually called a tow company to get it off since they didn't have a backup plan. Due to CA traffic, the towing company took quite a while and even longer to get it off the container. It was about 5pm by the time they got it off the trailer but it was too late since Matson closes their lot at 3pm. I then find out they unloaded it on some side street onto the trailer. I was freaking out because the shipping company left it on a street with my trailer guy who wasn't going to take my trailer since he was only hired to just transport the trailer and help get it on if possible. I then called Up Equip's salesman Alain explaining to him my situation and all he basically said was it wasn't his problem and the transaction is completed. He then rudely hung up on me. Alain was extremely unpleasant to work and was obviously never taught about customer service even dealing with him via email, wouldn't do business with him again. So the lift was basically delivered on some random side street with no help at all from Up Equip in regards to fixing the problem. I then had to convince my trailer guy to help me out since Up Equip abandoned me on the side of a road so I paid the driver to take it to a tow yard where they had to keep it over the weekend since it was hard to find someone to ship it back to Matson. I ended up paying an extra $2600 thanks to Up Equip and didn't get a single apology or even 1 phone call from them. I can't stand losing money due to incompetence but the stress from the whole situation was worth a lot more than the money I lost. I tried multiple times to talk with Up Equip's manager Martin but he wasn't any help and just made up excuse after excuse since he thinks his company doesn't make any mistakes and everything is the customer's fault. I have already filed a complaint with Canada's ministry of government and consumer complaints and will continue to spread the word to stay away from this rubbish company.

VenasNursery

Absolutely terrible
This is really my first time doing a full review on a product buying experience but since it was so bad I feel it's my duty to share my experience with everyone to prevent anyone else from doing business with this horrible company. I just recently bought their 87-48AJ which is still in transit to Oahu as we speak so I can't give my opinion yet on their equipment so I will just be concentrating on their customer service and employees. Basically, I bought the lift brand new from them online and I let them know right off the bat that I'm on Oahu and I'm going to need some help at least getting it to Matson which is the company that ships from CA to HI. They were fine with this and went ahead with the sale. I gave them all the information regarding Matson's hours they were open, the booking number and their customer service line in case they had any problems. I had no idea who was shipping my lift until I received a call a week before it was expected to arrive at the port asking me if there was an unloading dock since they shipped it with a refrigerator container. This was a red flag that they went with a really cheap shipping company since your supposed to ship this equipment either with an open or enclosed trailer, especially to a port. No one did their due diligence or planned ahead for this so I called Matson and they said their ramp might be able to reach it but they weren't sure. I then had to buy the trailer for it and have it shipped over to the port to meet Up Equip's shipping company. I talked with the shipping company a day before they were scheduled to arrive and told me they were going to be there at 8am and to have the trailer there at that time. My trailer guy ended up arriving at 7:45am and the shipping company showed up 2 hours later. Turns out Matson's ramp was too short and they had no way to take the lift off the trailer. Someone eventually called a tow company to get it off since they didn't have a backup plan. Due to CA traffic, the towing company took quite a while and even longer to get it off the container. It was about 5pm by the time they got it off the trailer but it was too late since Matson closes their lot at 3pm. I then find out they unloaded it on some side street onto the trailer. I was freaking out because the shipping company left it on a street with my trailer guy who wasn't going to take my trailer since he was only hired to just transport the trailer and help get it on if possible. I then called Up Equip's salesman Alain explaining to him my situation and all he basically said was it wasn't his problem and the transaction is completed. He then rudely hung up on me. Alain was extremely unpleasant to work and was obviously never taught about customer service even dealing with him via email, wouldn't do business with him again. So the lift was basically delivered on some random side street with no help at all from Up Equip in regards to fixing the problem. I then had to convince my trailer guy to help me out since Up Equip abandoned me on the side of a road so I paid the driver to take it to a tow yard where they had to keep it over the weekend since it was hard to find someone to ship it back to Matson. I ended up paying an extra $2600 thanks to Up Equip and didn't get a single apology or even 1 phone call from them. I can't stand losing money due to incompetence but the stress from the whole situation was worth a lot more than the money I lost. I tried multiple times to talk with Up Equip's manager Martin but he wasn't any help and just made up excuse after excuse since he thinks his company doesn't make any mistakes and everything is the customer's fault. I have already filed a complaint with Canada's ministry of government and consumer complaints and will continue to spread the word to stay away from this rubbish company.
absolutely terrible

JoshR

The g
They’re your “best friend” until they make the sale...

Sorry for your troubles
The guy I work with has one of those. More than 50 % of the time it seems like there is a balance issue (computer related safety features, or multiple other issues. He’s been on the phone with them a lot lately. Basically the controls wind up shutting down. He’s been unbelievably patient so far but another coworker said he’s getting tired of it and is starting to consider selling it...

UP Equip

Bonjour everyone

The whole story here is down to this: we delivered a lift on the West Coast and as planned for a customer that should have take over / make arrangements from there to go overseas, and the customer did not take over upon destination. That’s it.

You will find an extensive answer in the document named Hawaii - Wrap of Emails included in this post. Since there was too much to say, it doesn't fit in a single post. This resume was sent July 17 in an email to Brian 7 days after unit was delivered in CA. Since then, more communications occurred by written between us and as of now, he still didn’t touch his unit. A full cut & paste of all these emails is included in the document attached. I trust the community will make up its own mind. At the very end of the first part, some additional facts are stated especially in regards with black mailing / racketeering. This is lower than low in our eyes and deserve the answer we’re providing now.

I agree with Brian though: This customer experience is beyond the worst we’ve experimented, experiencing and WILL experience in the future. We dealt with many kinds of customers and yes, sometimes hung up on them as swearing, blasphemy and disrespect came along the conversation. So yes Brian was hung up to, and I will keep on doing this if respect leaves a conversation.

We sell lifts, and we’re proud about the service we provide after the sale. We’re not making friends to “get the deal” and then disappear. Au contraire, we proudly stand for our brand and provide all our brothers with the level of service they are in right to receive. Easy Lift products are great. Not only are we making them greater, we also make sure they remain as great as possible for as long as our brothers own them.

I’m here if anyone have questions.

Alain
For myself and on behalf of UP Equip’s Team

P.S. Brian, I want to reiterate here in front of everybody and ONE LAST TIME: let’s clean the slate and work together moving forward. We will not get into an endless fight here online with you so this will be our only post aside from answering direct questions from the community.

Attachments

UP Equip

Following reception of a few PM stating that it would have been better to read outlines right from the initial post, here a cut and paste of the email sent July 17, which describes sequence of events since the beginning. It is in the document "Hawaii - Wrap of emails" already included in this thread.
Alain

Brian

I’m sorry we are down to this because you will not even have seen / tasted the benefits of the lift you’ve chosen weeks back. Here is an overview of the sequence of events:
  • June 6
    • 1st contact initiated by you through Build Your Own 87-48AJ on our website
    • Followed by many discussions about used trailer
    • Then you requesting some confirmation about trailers, etc,, then everything went dead
  • June 10 – 13
    • You asked our advice on the used unit advertised in WI, and end up moving forward with a new one
    • Then problems about PayPal and you “dump it on us” to go through financing company to get a deposit if we want to have a deal, otherwise you would buy the used one...
  • June 14
    • We get in touch with financing company WITH YOUR SIGNED SALE ORDER to see how it would be possible to work this given our will to have a unit sent to you. From that very first correspondence it was signed and accepted that YOU were responsible for delivery and unloading from common carrier
  • June 17
    • You were left voice mails from Western people
    • You asked where you could purchase trailer
    • We did not have any address of delivery back then so we requested to know where delivery would need to be to seek close by trailers companies nearby. It did not make sense to buy trailer here and have it go across the continent.
  • June 18
    • You were sent wire transfer info for a bank in FL to pay deposit
  • June 19
    • We receive $30,000 deposit
    • You mention Matson in Long Beach for a potential destination
    • We request a precise address and a contact person to move machine unless you are there yourself
    • You answer to that by a question on when unit will be delivered to match with other pieces of equipment to ship as well
    • We receive deposit and starting final prep of your machine, requesting again precise address, and telling there will be at least 6 to 8 days trip and we need someone to take ownership of unit upon reception
  • June 21 – 27
    • Western Equipment Finance finalizes deal and receive paper for contract
  • July 2
    • We receive delivery destination confirmation with address, requesting to be shipped before July 10 (this left us only 8 day to travel across the continent; This was not ever mentioned) and with comments about opening hours and fuel levels
    • We are asked for a recommendation of trailer company
  • July 3rd
    • We answer that it will not be possible to have unit there for July 10, especially given the celebration of July 4th in the way. We need final destination to clear Customs (24-48 hours) and once cleared, call common carrier for CA.
    • Right then, and with unit still here in our yard, warning AGAIN that someone will need to take ownership of unit when it will arrive in Long Beach. Familiarization video is sent to you to be forwarded if need be
    • Standard common carrier cancelled. We found a team driver to speed up the process and try to be on time for the vessel cut-out on the 10th; $2300 of extra charges for UPequip
    • Trailer dealer is suggested within 20 miles of Matson yard
    • You answered that Matson was the point of contact and provided customer support general phone number in Phoenix, AZ.
    • You said you will take care of the trailer but need to know when it arrives, and that the shipping company should take care of loading / unloading.
    • We answered right back that there is a misunderstanding about the way it needs to be taken care at destination. Price quoted is continental delivery, customer responsible to unload. Right then we mentioned that we needed to add some money to the total if we were to take care of all this.
    • You answered to this that you no longer wanted to talk to Alain but to a manager due to his lack of will to help you perform such simple task as unloading and loading unit back on a trailer.
    • We then offered our to cancel the deal right then, because there was no ambiguity on what you signed, and what you paid for. You then said you no longer wanted to deal with me.
    • Unit picked by common carrier at Upequip for the 3000 miles journey
  • July 4th
    • A wrap up is sent of your demands by Martin, asking you details to set a proposal for things to be taken care of by us upon arrival of unit in California.
    • You answer that it will be hard for you to coordinate everything and unloading to happen in Matson auto lot and request specs for trailer
    • You request us to send a trailer with the unit to ease the process (unit is already on its way…) or supply specs of the best trailer to purchase
  • July 5th
    • We answer that we are not in California but Canada and that unit has now left and there isn’t much time to react. You are requested to find trailer asap, and expect a few thousand dollars more to fly someone in CA.
    • You are prompt to give last instruction before July 8th, 4:00pm West Coast Time if you want us to act and were also provided with potential waiting time fees.
    • We sent an update received from common carrier dispatch: truck should be in Long Beach sometime July 9th.
    • You reject our offer to send Upequip staff to Long Beach to coordinate on site. You are unhappy to learn that unit is already on its way.
    • 4 days before it arrives, you ask to cancel the common carrier and find another carrier who could coordinate unloading + setup of your trailer.
    • Booking confirmation PDF document received in the afternoon (Dated June 25; Dimensions suggest it’s a trailer (29’ long x 8’ wide))
    • We asked to get trailer company coordinates. We suggest to re-route the common carrier there and maybe convince the trailer guy to coordinate the unloading + set up + delivery of trailer and unit together at Matson
  • July 8th
    • You cannot find a trailer. “I’m screwed’’ and complain that we haven’t communicate / planned driver arrival. You need help to find a trailer in rush.
    • You are not happy to don’t have a delivery date. We FWD the e-mail sent last week
  • July 9
    • Update about common carrier; Truck was stuck in El Paso TX, On road again truck is in El Paso TX. My Teams eta to delivery is tomorrow morning.​
    • You assume it would be there at 8:00am and coordinate with trailer guy to be there at 8AM, failing to let us know again.​
    • You asked for training video again,​
  • July 10
    • Truck at Matson gate at 9.30AM. Matson expects a rolling trailer and not a tracked unit (not matching with booking made June 26th) so our truck is sent away
    • Trailer guy reach and actually meet common carrier.
    • Common carrier driver received instruction from Upequip to start and operate the unit for loading / unloading
    • Upequip will pay $250 to the team driver to do the extra mile.
    • Upequip with common carrier will bring a roll back towing truck to get the thing moving. Chavez Towing $213
    • Trailer guy /common carrier load/tie down the unit on new trailer.
    • Signatures + many picture taken
    • Out of the gate, 5:00 pm
    • Extra waiting fees (7.5 h) to come by common carrier

Wouldn’t it have been easier if, right from the start you would have acknowledge your own responsibility in the process and act accordingly instead of just drop the ball and let us deal with all of your lack of planification?

• You provided us with the cut-out date way too late
  • You have waited until the limit to provide us with booking number
  • You bought your trailer 2 days prior unit arrival
  • Until last minute, you did not get anyone else involved to coordinate and take care of everything.

That is what you did, with the consequences you already know. You only have your own fingers to bite Brian for the mess. We took ownership in many ways here, and there will be additional charges:

• Team driver hired instead of standard single driver to speed up
  • Roll back towing to unload unit
  • Wait time for our driver on site upon arrival
As stated before, we’re really sorry to be down to this. That still leaves us with only 2 options:
  1. You clean the slate, and we move on from the moment you put your hands on the lift, you count on us and you make money with the best lift ever. You don’t even yet know what you’re spitting on right now as far as customer service.
- Or –
  1. You send back the lift, not us.
Brian, believe it or not, we are still considering you as one of our brothers, a member of our Simple Inside family. On behalf of all of us here at Upequip, we promise you that if you decide to clean the slate, we will all be there for you when you will need us, as we do to all our brothers…

bnaley

It's hilarious they want me to waste more money sending it back after they just screwed up and won't even admit their fault. If they really wanted to start with a clean slate they would have apologized and compensated me for my loss. I never even got a single phone call from this company either.

BooRad

My 2¢.....

Brian, sorry you have bad situation, but you seem to think that you have zero culpability. Lift was delivered to Lower 48 as they stated to you numerous times and as all their ads state. (Note: I did read emails posted by UP, not shooting from the hip here).

We are all free to live as we choose and do what we feel best, but if I had an 87 coming to me I'd be waiting doing cartwheels for this piece of equipment to arrive. Sure it's a big price, but to expect UP to do everything for you is way too unrealistic. They all cost similar amounts.
In short, you should have made the decision to have been in LA to take delivery.
Wouldn't you want to inspect before final shipping anyway?

UP - seems like you pushed through some red flags to make a sale.
PayPal, trailer disorganization and such. I've done the same thing from time to time to get a job and sometimes do get burned a bit. Walking away is tough.

Well, that's my 2¢. Following this because I am looking for this type of equipment soon enough.

Steve M
Chatham, NJ

bck56

The g

The guy I work with has one of those. More than 50 % of the time it seems like there is a balance issue (computer related safety features, or multiple other issues. He’s been on the phone with them a lot lately. Basically the controls wind up shutting down. He’s been unbelievably patient so far but another coworker said he’s getting tired of it and is starting to consider selling it...
Please explain more if you can. I would love to hear details about this machine as I’m sure many others would as well.

bnaley

Steve M,

If I knew they couldn't handle all the shipping instructions that I gave them I would have done it myself. I just shipped a chipper truck and chipper to Matson in Long Beach, CA with no problems other than some minor shipping delays with me not being there so why couldn't UpEquip handle simple shipping instructions? They even sent me pics of the equipment so I wouldn't have to be there to inspect it. I normally work 6-7 days a week so I really don't have time to be there to handle things there plus all my equipment is coming at different days to Matson. I will make sure to post an honest and detailed review of the machine when it gets here for everyone.

JoshR

Please explain more if you can. I would love to hear details about this machine as I’m sure many others would as well.
It will get locked out sometimes if you get in positions close to center over the machine. It also has gotten locked out in extended positions occasionally. I don’t really run the machine much anymore and so I haven’t been quite as involved with it as i have been in the past. In their defense though, it seems like their customer service has been reliable for him. It seems like they are quick to help him troubleshoot. If something happens, he’s on the phone with them in a matter of minutes. It’s a nice piece of equipment. It drives around well, looks pretty(most importantly) and when it’s working its smooth.

Merle Nelson

Kevin which model do you have? And how long?

(And if you can give me a one sentence answer on any how to videos, threads etc. on the ISC Rig and Wrench I would appreciate it. I love the quality and am sure I am way under utilizing it. Thanks.)

treebing

I have the 70-36 aj since the beginning of the year. Its too short is my only complaint really.

Myself and isc are working on some instructional videos. I have some you tube videos but they are not that great

deevo

Customer is responsible to unload.
You didn't have your end tight.
and you come here and slag the seller.
own your part.
They’ve been great to me @UP Equip I’ve had mine almost the longest of any arborist so far, it’s a solid machine, if any needs to be fixed it’s an easy fix with standard parts. It’s tree work we do so it’s going to be put to the test. I know others with Teupens, cmc and a few other brands, all have had catastrophic computer related issues, with costing 10’s of thousands to repair and downtime. I haven’t had either, in my 6th season with my lift.