My first splicing steps

Hi

I've made an eye to eye prusik with a 3/8 diameter 12 strand polyester Pelican rope, and I have some questions that I really appreciate if anyone of you want to help me.

I follow the Samson rope's splicing instructions to do it, and I don't know why, but the two tapered ends of the rope inside don't get together, so there's a 2 or 3 inches part at the center where the prusik is less in diameter than the rest of the tail. IMG_6442.JPG IMG_6441.JPG

Is that bad? Unsafe? Or normal?

Brocky

It looks like you have a locked brummel and a fid length of bury at each end. It is safe to use as is, but might not work very well.
To have a uniform diameter, the lengths of bury would need to be longer, with the tapers overlapping each other. Or you can pull the buries out and only use half a fid length, which most do with locked brummels. This would also give a smaller diameter cord.

As a beginning splicer you need to be very careful. You don't want to get addicted. As you splice new goods you life could unravel into a pile of yarns. Don't let the hobby consume you financially. Buy rope scraps on ebay to practice on. I would recommend starting with 1/2" double braid to get your feet wet with double braids. Before you know it you will be buying lengths of ocean and epicord and saving money.

Hi. Thank you for your recommendations

It is indeed a locked brumel with three crosses between the ropes. I undid my eye to the previous eye and repeated the procedure. Now the diameter was uniform but too short to work well. I think I need to much more practice.

I share some images of other splicing that done in these days:

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-19 at 13.01.49.jpeg
1. A spider leg rigging balancer.

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-29 at 18.18.37.jpeg
2. A Ultrasling

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-29 at 18.18.38.jpeg
3. An adjustable whoopie sling

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-29 at 18.18.39.jpeg
4. The eye to eye whit uniform diameter