"Murdering Trees"...(Kevin Bingham)

guymayor

Some places in NM are 100% Ulmus pumila, Chinese elm. .The nativists who want to remove them have no viable plan for replacement.
At the 2020 ISA conference you should be able to see how they are managed in Albuquerque with specified reduction pruning. Come on down, Dave!

treebing

Oh man if you killed siberians elms in Detroit you would lose half its canopy. some people believe just its species is grounds for imediate removal. I am so thankful for that tree. Mulberries and boxelders are also underappreciated.

moss

Oh man if you killed siberians elms in Detroit you would lose half its canopy. some people believe just its species is grounds for imediate removal. I am so thankful for that tree. Mulberries and boxelders are also underappreciated.
Yes, if all the non-native tree species were removed from U.S. urban areas there wouldn't be much left.
-AJ

JD3000

Some places in NM are 100% Ulmus pumila, Chinese elm. .The nativists who want to remove them have no viable plan for replacement.
At the 2020 ISA conference you should be able to see how they are managed in Albuquerque with specified reduction pruning. Come on down, Dave!
Lady asked me the other day when we were gonna remove all the honeysuckle...asked her "Whatcha think is holding the bank on that big creek at this point?"

That horse us way out of the barn at this point.

guymayor

Don't get me wrong--if Lonicera b or Morus a. etc. have good competition, I'll kill em, aka select against them.
But it makes no sense to deforest our towns if there is nothing there to take its place.

evo

I'm sitting here in the urban wildland interface.. More rural, and only have 100 years or so of whitey. Birds fly and carry seed, I've adopted a list of plants that I will only kill. If invasives were gone here we would have plenty left! It's not all about you city folk.
I do get the point of once its established it could very well be better than nothing. In that case I'd vote phase out vrs scorched earth.