Mtronic - which model, which reset procedure?

samsquatch

Video explaining the different reset procedures for the different Mtronic generations:

But my question remains. I have two MS362 saws in my stable, one manufactured 09/14, one 06/16. They have slightly different air shrouds, etc. I believe the older one to be version 1 with the 90 second retune. And the 2016 model may be the 30/30 retune. But this brings up my final point: how can one be certain which Mtronic version one has?
Yes, the 2016 model currently has the different air shroud and a lighter smaller clutch cover. But what if some bloke just put the wrong parts back on the saw during a rebuild...
Can we check with serial numbers or how else to be sure?
Same with my 661, how do I know which gen is in that beast?
Cheers
SAM

samsquatch

Oh and one minor beef with Stihl’s reset procedure: after the retune when you’re supposed to just flip the switch to off: none of my saws will let me flip to off without first squeezing the control lever and pulling the trigger slightly. I’m predicting this does not screw up the procedure, but they say to not touch the trigger while the thing is doing it’s thing.

Jackjcc

The v3 ms362 might have the 30/30. That is easy to tell as it has the smaller spark plug like the 462. Your 2016 will have the 90 second reset. The best way to tell is the manual, as my 462 lists the reset procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samsquatch

The best way to tell is the manual
I agree, for a 462 the best way would be the manual... but because they've only made one of them so far so one manual is for one saw. Issue is the 362C on Stihl's website there's only one manual, and they've made now 3-4 versions of the 362 - a non MTronic, MTronic v1, and v2, and is there a v3 now? So one manual trying to cover 3-4 versions = PIMA pain in my ass.

Birdyman88

There should be a sticker with "V" number. If not, call Stihl with your serial # and they will tell you. As far as V2, Stihl said make 5 uniform cuts. V3 is the 30/30. What is the 90 second cal? For V2? On fast idle or full throttle?

Birdyman88

Just FYI, anybody can upgrade the mtronic with a new coil and not notify stihl, so just keep that in mind in case you bought it used. V3 is easy to figure out - fast idle for 30-60 sec, then full throttle for >30 sec. If you don't hear it step from mid-to-high-to mid rpms, then it's not V3. And one more thing, the stihl rep told me that the 5 uniform cut thing works for V3 too. It's just the 30/30 procedure on V3 is an accelerated method.

samsquatch

Just FYI, anybody can upgrade the mtronic with a new coil and not notify stihl, so just keep that in mind in case you bought it used.
Interested. I had my Stihl shop work on my 2016 362C-M, and they replaced the solenoid, not knowing if it was bad or not. The unit still struggles on acceleration and will not push the clutch worth shit, very slow to accelerate. It will get to full throttle, but once it touches wood it just has no balls.
Interested in the coil replacement - which part # is that?

Birdyman88

which part # is that?
Stihl can tell you. They gave me the part numbers one day for V3 upgrade on my 661, but they're all different for each saw. It seems like there was a post on TB with all the coil/version part # for one saw model. Can't remember which one.

EDIT: I believe the solenoid needs to be upgraded with coil upgrade, now that you mention it. ARE YOU SURE THE SHOP PUT THE PROPER/MATCHING SOLENOID BACK ON. If it was my shop here, I wouldn't bet my life that they did :pcmala:

Last edited:

Birdyman88

The unit still struggles on acceleration and will not push the clutch worth shit, very slow to accelerate.
This may be totally irrelevant to your saw, but I remember this video when I was researching my 362. Take a look at the linkage he mentions and make sure everything is up to snuff. Note: not sure if the linkage is also customized to mtronic version, but if it is, and someone overlooked that part as part of an upgrade or repair, then .....

Last edited:

Birdyman88

I'll check the linkage when I get home.
I think his takeaway on the linkage is that a correctly dimensioned linkage should not be forcing the lever open at rest, nor should it do the opposite. It should just fit in and the lever position should be unaffected at rest.

Also, I would definitely go double check the part #'s on the coil and solenoid and make sure they belong to the same mtronic version. I'm gathering that you bought the saw used. I bought mine off ebay, and I examined the pics on the auction to verify that the linkage was correct.

Last edited:

samsquatch

I called Stihl and they confirmed my 2016 362C is 90 second reset procedure. They based this on serial number. And they said that they didn't put the new coils in the 362 until 2017.

samsquatch

Had another Stihl shop take a look at it, they are saying cylinder is scored. I'm looking at aftermarket replacement options, preferably ones that come pre-tuned or ported. Any suggestions?

Birdyman88

Meteor is one company I have heard makes good aftermarket stuff. There's one guy on eBay that rebuilds with Meteor and apparently his stuff sells for premium used price.

Jackjcc

Pull your muffler off and take a picture of the piston and post it here. This thread would take a hard turn if it went to needing to rebuild your saw. As it is a v2 I’m not sure what companies are making replacement kits for this new generation. Oem is best, but there is no shortage of mechanics incorrectly telling people to replace parts.

Jackjcc

Had another Stihl shop take a look at it, they are saying cylinder is scored. I'm looking at aftermarket replacement options, preferably ones that come pre-tuned or ported. Any suggestions?
The saw community had just started dabbling in pre ported cylinders. I don’t think there is one available for the 362. I’ve used the cross performance MMWS ms660 cylinder kits in the past, they work great. HLS pro parts sells the cross performance line.