MSM supplements

KWolt

I just retired after 40 years of climbing so I know a thing or two about aches and pains.
A while back I told my chiropractor that I was having a problem with tendinitis. He suggested MSM ( methylsulfonyl-methane), a source of sulfur which is necessary for soft tissue repair. I had been taking Vitamin I (ibuprofen) daily. I started taking 1000 mg of MSM once a day. I haven't taken ibuprofen since, my tendinitis went away as did my carpel tunnel issues. I also found that I had more energy. It was like turning back the clock 15 years.
Having said that, it doesn't work for everyone but I have suggested it to some who swear by it. I found that if I take it with my fish oil supplements it isn't effective so I take MSM in the morning and fish oil at night. I also found that off -name brands are not always effective so I've always been happy with RiteAid brand- until this winter. When I started a new bottle my shoulders started killing me and I realized that coincidence or not it seemed to be associated with the new batch of pills. Switched to GNC brand and now feeling as good as a 60 year old tree climber should expect to feel.
I should add that I don't take anything else for pain or inflammation, whatever relief I get from the MSM is sufficient.
I hope this helps, I know it kept me in the trees way longer than I would have been able to otherwise.

evo

The wife makes turmeric honey. Good stuff! Also for anyone interested fire cider too. She makes the fire cider with beets, and after a shot of that I’m ready to take on the world for a few hours.
Thanks for the heads up with the MSM I will give it a shot! Summer before last I developed something like tennis elbow, pain lasted for 6-8 months. I was hyper aware of how I used my body, stretches, hot cold soaks, etc. It all helped. However it’s back, or different sensation. It’s more so in my forearm. Duller and feels like separation of the muscles laterally. Interested to see if this helps? Crap and I’m not even 40 yet!

KWolt

The wife makes turmeric honey. Good stuff! Also for anyone interested fire cider too. She makes the fire cider with beets, and after a shot of that I’m ready to take on the world for a few hours.
Thanks for the heads up with the MSM I will give it a shot! Summer before last I developed something like tennis elbow, pain lasted for 6-8 months. I was hyper aware of how I used my body, stretches, hot cold soaks, etc. It all helped. However it’s back, or different sensation. It’s more so in my forearm. Duller and feels like separation of the muscles laterally. Interested to see if this helps? Crap and I’m not even 40 yet!
Yeah, I had tennis elbow too. I had a band that I wore on my arm that applied pressure to a particular point to provide relief and it worked. It's specifically designed for tennis elbow. I wore it religiously and eventually I didn't need it any more. That's the kind of thing MSM might help.

John@TreeXP

I just retired after 40 years of climbing so I know a thing or two about aches and pains.
A while back I told my chiropractor that I was having a problem with tendinitis. He suggested MSM ( methylsulfonyl-methane), a source of sulfur which is necessary for soft tissue repair. I had been taking Vitamin I (ibuprofen) daily. I started taking 1000 mg of MSM once a day. I haven't taken ibuprofen since, my tendinitis went away as did my carpel tunnel issues. I also found that I had more energy. It was like turning back the clock 15 years.
I appreciate the recommendations and will try it. I'm a big fan of herbal and natural remedies, especially when they're Non-GMO, Gluten Free and Vegan. IBP (in pharmaceutical doses) is what I use as a last resort. I still get occasional back flare ups, but staying active and in good shape seems to be the best overall medicine. I've tried turmeric and maybe I needed to take bigger quantities, but it had no noticeable effect. Is watching MSM (mainstream media) the same as taking it in daily doses?

KWolt

Haha, mainstream media doesn't do my mental health any good but it does get me up and away from the TV. I've had back problems since I started working and the worst thing for it is inactivity. If we have a few days of bad weather in the winter when I can't work that's the worst thing for it. Climbing seems to keep my back loose without the strain of lifting. I take "Superior Cartilage " (bovine tracheal cartilage) by Food Science of Vermont which seems to help my back. A while back I came to the realization that we are literally professional athletes and that the only piece of equipment that goes out every day is our body. All that other equipment is worthless if we can't work. Unlike most professional athletes we don't have the option of retiring at 30 or 40. So to be able to keep going like a lot of guys do says a lot. That also means that a lot of times you're working with pain.

southsoundtree

Yeah, I had tennis elbow too. I had a band that I wore on my arm that applied pressure to a particular point to provide relief and it worked. It's specifically designed for tennis elbow. I wore it religiously and eventually I didn't need it any more. That's the kind of thing MSM might help.

Same symptoms, same type of bands, great results. My groundman says its magic, too

$15-20.