MS 200T Mods

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
[ QUOTE ]
Nathan and Bevis, thanks for your interest, the saws are at the dealer now, so we'll see how they do when I pick them up tomorrow, along with a new Morbark 2400...Whoppeee.!

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Christmas day! /forum/images/graemlins/santa.gif

cory

Got 2 Ms 200t's back from dealer...New starter assemblies on each to alleviate the starter cord wearing out in 1 to 7 days (they covered it under warranty), and dealer adjusted the carbs and they are cutting beautifully and reliably.

The Morbark is a beast, just in time for spring!

ehp

I have played with the MS 200's , you have to be carefull with this saw on compression cause it doesnot like alot more than stock cause it causes then to run hot, keep the rpm's down to 15500 or if cutting big wood alittle lower and all the saws I have ported are running the narrow .043 chain and bar and cut well

Axman

Ehp,

Got a question for you, if you don't mind answering, this is as good a place to ask as any. These mods we talk about doing to these 200's wheather it be muffler mods or porting the engine. Is it better for the saw to do mods when it is brand new or is it better to wait till the engine is broke in a little bit before altering it from stock. Or does it matter.

I just bought a new rear handled MS 200 a few months back, going to do a muffler mod like I did to the top handled versions we have, the top handles had quite a few hours on them and broken in, the new saw will have a lot less hours on it than the previous two.

Would it be better to put more hours on the saw or do the muffler mod while the engine is still pretty much cherry??

Based on your reply above, a muffler mod is more than enough to get that little extra output from these saws for the average tree guy like myself.

Larry

ehp

Larry I always like if I can get a saw with sometime on it, a couple weeks running is nice , I always run them stock before doing any work to them to make sure they run right to begin with and second it makes my job easier on knowing how much compression it is going to end up with.

Like I have said before the 200 is a saw that doesnot like alot of heat so you need to watch porting them and how tight you make the squish.

So Larry if your 200 has more than a couple weeks work on her I would say go for it and muffler mod her and have fun

Axman

Thanks for the reply Ehp, looks like I have a little more cutting to do before I can play with some of my new little rotory cutting bits.

Larry

rborist1

[ QUOTE ]
I was recently talking to a guy at the Paul Bunyan show that gave me some great ideas about how he modifies 200 Ts. I am really interested in the concept and am hoping that he sees this post and replies. If anyone reading this has any info on this, I'd love to learn some more.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, did you get any info on the 200 mods? /forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Make that call!

Roger_Barnett

I just got my ehp 192T and it is a sweet little saw. I compared it to my 200T which is stock except for having the muffler screen removed which likely speeds it up by 5-8%. The 192 cuts close to the 200T until you bury it in 14 inch wood, then it lags a little. Not bad for a saw that is similar in design to the 335/338 where the crankcase and cylinder meet at the centerline of the crank, so full mods can't be done, as they can with a 200T.

By the way, my muffler modded old 335 is, on a good day, 20-30% faster than the 200T, on a bad day, at least 10%....and lighter and a better shape and handle design.

Roger_Barnett

Craig and Mark, I just got a 440 that I am sending to Eric in Aussy land. I had Madsen's PowerTune it, and put a dual port muffler cover on it....For $90, they do quite a bit, they deck the cylinder, which ups the compression and changes the squish. They open the intake and exhaust ports, but don't alter the transfer ports. Well, that work is not very beneficial if you leave the muffler ports stock, even with the dual port cover. So, I opened both to approximately the same total area as the exhaust port at the cylinder. As a result it was turning 15300 rpm, so i had to find out how to remove the pesky limiter caps so as to richen it up, then replace them. Then, I did some cuts. I was amazed, as the saw held its own with my fully modded Dolmar 7900 and my ehp 372 which I just got from Ed...
And the saw is the lightest of the three.

Guess I'll just have to mod one or both of mine after I repair them....one was new in 95 and is Madsen's tuned and I did the muffler a while ago- but I only use it on the Simpson capstan winch..and I think it has a crank side bearing going out. The other one, vintage 1993, needs a piston and ring and some cylinder honing... and I have the parts.... plus I bought an aftermarket cylinder kit, which I hear aren't all that great, so I may sell it on ebay...

Zac

Does tweaking a saw like this shorten it's lifespan at all? I would be worried about burning the saw out faster than normal.

rborist1

Keep me posted on that 192, I was hesitant on getting one due to the build quality. My 335 was awesome too until it experienced the law of gravity. My 338 doesn't come close to it either. The EHP 200T's are great, the 2nd one is still gaining. I am glad to hear you could do something for Eric, I bet he catches the bug too. /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mangoes

My old MS 200t is in pieces right now due to some scoring and loss of compression. (intake boot between carb and port cracked and she ran lean for too long on a very large Ash removal)In your opinions is this a candidate for tweaking? It could run again with a cap and ram no doubt.

ehp

On the 200's, they need to be in real good shape motor wise cause they are going to be turning some rpm's. What you have to watch out for on the 200 is heat, so by this I mean just pulling the base gasket out they will get to hot for my liking, now if someone really watches what they are doing this would be fine if you use the saw just yourself cause you would know what to watch for , so if someone gets in the motor and doesnot watch on how he is porting it he can ruin it real fast cause you cannot do the same thing to a 200 as you can do to a 361,

ehp

That is fine Craig, is your weather as screwed up as ours , one day pretty cold the next day rain like hell

rborist1

It's getting cold here, starting to drop below -20 at nights with -15 for the highs. Last week, when I was out of town, it got up to +19, go figure. At least we do not have any major amounts of snow yet.

ehp

We had snow and lots of ice but 3 days of hard rain took cade or that, she is really warm here for this time of the year