MS 200T Mods

glens

I doubt that the exhaust port works as an intake of any meaningful kind except perhaps while spinning the crank before the fire lights.

The (clean) screen will probably occupy about 35% of the total area of the opening it covers, so removing it will effectively increase that opening size somewhat.

My main concern isn't so much starting a fire as keeping such things as mud daubers and/or general crud out.

Glen

cory

Btw, my 0200s are driving me up the wall. I've got one that eats starter cords at the rate of one per half day or as long as a week...inside the starter assembly there are no sharp edges visible and the dealer couldn't figure it out either. But the main problem is the way they run.Two of them act fuel starved at least one time per tankful, sometimes many times (they rev up from idle and then die off if I don't choke it to keep it running) even with a full tank of fuel. And getting the low idle right so they rev up properly is close to impossible. Sometimes after lots of fiddling with them they'll run well for 5 min. but then act up again. Airfilter is always clean.

Husky 335s are like this but worse. I'm getting ready to use the Echo 3400-extremely dependable but slow cutting. It's a tough buisness to be in when you don't have a good saw.

Steve, would you or anyone else have some ideas here?

Cory,

If your 200s are newer they will have a plastic sleeve over the high speed adjustment screw. This sleeve keeps the screw from being turned out too far for emissions purposes also limiting the fuel. The sleeve can be removed with pliers and should allow for proper adjustment. If it's an older one, you can do a search at AS. Stihltech has a fix for those.

I just looked at Glen's link, also a possibility.

Mike

Chum

On the Narrow chain....you're right Mark, big time. Just got back from coffee w/ the Stihl guy. Lot's of pointers (one is the new polymer-filled bar) and the question came from my wanting to "retire" the older 200T's to chipper duty (keep it holstered on the chute for my son to have for limbing 'pre'feed-chute on the Bandit. Turns out a lesson on fuel (it's old even at the gas station) and how I've been cleaning my intake filters (air pressure) were all culprits in losing power in these beauties.

Suprized to see your mug in their catalogue. Look pretty serious there!

Good thing I didn't go and modify these saws and end-up probably in the prosthetic limb lab at the clinic.

I also asked about the above questions on mods....I don't know how expertise someone can get on the 200's, but the complaints should probably addressed on the dealer's bench...just my opinion but then there's a lot of guys out there that know this saw better than I know my wife.

craneguy1

i had one of the first 020t's made with that bs "non-adjustable" carb. didn't run for crap. so i changed to the old carb, dropped the spark arrestor, and switched over to a 14 inch bar with the 63pmn chain. cuts fast as hell now. happy to see that the new ms200ts run very decent in relation. a place in canada called "Walker's Saw Shop" does a lot of mods for loggers, mostly 066s/660s. i did some dabbling on an old old 064 for a bet. i decked the head a few thousandths. now that was crazy fast, never won the bet though, the crank broke in half after 4 days on the job. i told the dealer it was a flawed casting, didn't believe me though.

stickman

My buddys runing a 14 inch pico bar and chain on 200 and cuts very fast.the same bar on the 191 saw /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nathan

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, my 0200s are driving me up the wall. But the main problem is the way they run.Two of them act fuel starved at least one time per tankful, sometimes many times (they rev up from idle and then die off if I don't choke it to keep it running) even with a full tank of fuel. Sometimes after lots of fiddling with them they'll run well for 5 min. but then act up again. Airfilter is always clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not alone here with this problem.

The 020T wasn't broken. Why did they try to fix it /forum/images/graemlins/furious3.gif

Treelimbjim

I'm not sure how old your MS 200Ts are.

More of a tale I can lend than a speculation of your problem.

Recently we had an 019T that was of unknown maintenance origin (as just about everything in the arbo department has for the last 5 years). Recently, it was tweaked about every day. Finally tore it down to reveal scored piston on the intake valve side and enough carbon that would make frosting on cupcakes jealous. Funeral and burial will be this Friday ;) Check your calendars, folks.

klimbinfool

Some of the ms 200 need to have the fuel bumped up. Adjust the needle valve and give it a little more fuel. Not all sthil saws come perfect from the factory and need to be tweeked a little. If it seems like it wont rev and peak out, I pull the spark screen and readjust.Normaly , I pull that anyway just bogs down the saw.

Greg

Nathan

I#ll give that a try. A new saw in question. I bought it with an empty gas tank. It hadn't been serviced on its way out the door. I would bring it back but the dealer is 6000 miles from my house /forum/images/graemlins/ahhhhh.gif

Bevis

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, my 0200s are driving me up the wall. I've got one that eats starter cords at the rate of one per half day or as long as a week...inside the starter assembly there are no sharp edges visible and the dealer couldn't figure it out either. But the main problem is the way they run.Two of them act fuel starved at least one time per tankful, sometimes many times (they rev up from idle and then die off if I don't choke it to keep it running) even with a full tank of fuel. And getting the low idle right so they rev up properly is close to impossible. Sometimes after lots of fiddling with them they'll run well for 5 min. but then act up again. Airfilter is always clean.

Husky 335s are like this but worse. I'm getting ready to use the Echo 3400-extremely dependable but slow cutting. It's a tough buisness to be in when you don't have a good saw.

Steve, would you or anyone else have some ideas here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Cory, have you checked the tank vents on your problematic saws?

Bevis

Nathan

[ QUOTE ]
6000 miles? Are you back in TX?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, the saws are from TX. Germany saws are MUCH cheaper in Teaxs than Germany.

Going anywhere else other than Italy on your Euro trip this month?

Hey Bevis, the vent on my problematic ms200 sprays gas and has since a month after I got it. Do tell....

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
[ QUOTE ]
Going anywhere else other than Italy on your Euro trip this month?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really sure yet Nathan. I'm trying to see about how much time I will have to work with.

cory

Nathan and Bevis, thanks for your interest, the saws are at the dealer now, so we'll see how they do when I pick them up tomorrow, along with a new Morbark 2400...Whoppeee.!