more fun with knucklebooms

glens

I've recently seen in modern steel mills remote controls on very large overhead cranes and on some fairly large ground-based equipment so it must certainly pass big-brother safety muster. I wouldn't hesitate in the least to use it the way you're using it, Mike.

MikePoor

white pines were the hardest hit species (needle surface area and broadleafs leafless= no wind dampening= evergreens dropping!) i've been lifting these things off houses/bldgs. mostly. now i'm down to the less critcal ones.

Attachments

MikePoor

that was a 7' dbh populus deltoides 24' long. that was my old crane. here's an oak with a 9' basal flare with new crane. (i've had it had it three yrs. now but it still seems new to me) it has 100' side reach (only 1013 lbs. at that distance) and will pick 36000 right next to trk.

Attachments

tophopper

Very impressive rig Mike!!

I cant beleive you get all that reach, AND it folds up nicely and tucks behind the cab.

MikePoor

here,s a sacharinum right against the house. the landing zone was limited by the ash and swt. gum and visibility blocked by the spruce. (we had to use 2-way radio to direct) check the fine cabling some bonehead wrapped around 15yrs+ ago! h.l. tree to answer your q. 121'

Attachments

MikePoor

another photo. lastweek when my stuff got stolen, i ordered some new goodies (arborist goodies that is) my favorites: no spill gas can & s.i.p. 5.1 protective pants. they almost feel like regular pants!

Attachments

MikePoor

when i can't move the boom side to side in the landing zone (because of obstacles) i some move the truck to catch the pick then move forward to lay the thing down.

Attachments

allmark

Gotta love those trees close to the house /forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gifHow well does your remote work on picks like that butt? can you stand next to the butt even on the other side of the house or do you need a line of sight for the transmission

MikePoor

i've only got to be within 300 yards of the truck! sometimes i'll be talking to someone 2 houses down the street and flying stuff. it's fun...but with a little stress.