more fun with knucklebooms

MikePoor

another photo w/ man basket (i wouldn't call this pruning, i'd call it, taking limbs off a tree thats going to be removed in a few years.)

Attachments

MikePoor

honey locust pruning, with three knuckles and twelve extensions you can poke through open branched trees. (don't even think about a linden or beech!)

Attachments

MikePoor

here is todays cottonwood removal (little close to the house) got a late start, some @#$%&!!! stole a bunch of my slings, rigging/ climbing gear last night! (if i catch him he's woodchips- just kidding. too bad for him i have video security where i park.)

Attachments

MikePoor

i got this steel military bridging when our local airbase closed. works great, really annoying to deal with. finally got the tree done (2 men 7.75 hrs) the last log 4' dia. for most of its length, but the base was 6'+

Attachments

Nathan

Is it a palfinger crane?

Nice rig. Just to poke fun though, you could get a photographer but not a crane operator? Snazzy remote and all!!! Not often the climber is the crane operator AND the climber.

tnttree

hope you catch that bustard. Let us know if you do, it would feel good to know that someones going to jail for rippin off a tree guy. /forum/images/graemlins/boxing.gif

That crane is so cool, I don' know what more to say.

MikePoor

hey m.b. i like some of the photos on your site. you're the real deal! and you think the crane looks odd...you should meet the owner. hey nathan thanks for the compliment on my rig. it's an effer brand crane (best: power to weight to reach ratio i could find) my old crane was a hiab. it was o.k. but had been abused. i don't want a seperate opperator. i had a close call with sleepy oprtr. yrs. ago that convinced me to go remote control(unless of course i'm renting a big crane) my groundperson and i take all photos. photographer! ha! ha! i wish!

Jamin_Mayer

You can haul stuff in the back of that too? Wow, that's a bargin. Like my kids say, "I want one." (In a whiny voice of course). /forum/images/graemlins/applaudit.gif

Colin

Administrator
[ QUOTE ]
hey m.b. i like some of the photos on your site. you're the real deal! and you think the crane looks odd...

[/ QUOTE ]

I just meant I've never seen such a critter before. All of the cranes in my pics are the standard type of cranes, not as cool as the one you were using!

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Mike,

I walk around when I run our boom and used to joke around with my Dad about being able to wear the remote in the tree and do it myself. Anyway, I often wondered if OSHA would have a problem with that? Do you know if it's alright to do this or is there no rule out there for such a unique idea?

MikePoor

thanks for your concern mark chisholm and m. b., i've talked with crane oprtrs. over the years about the same thing. their concern with tree work is that they can't see what's going on in the tree (mostly during the growing season) the oprtrs. that see me work, are impressed with it and one said "if he were running my crane from the column controls, he wouldn't be able to see sh#%! " the climber must be able to position out of dangerous areas on any crane removal anyway. this system is not idiotproof. it takes a great deal of experience to do either job. i'd hate to see some one go buy a remote crane and take it strait to a job. i've used my crane to set building materials over the edge of and across bldg. roofs, using remote on roof. i haven't found anything pertaining to remotes in ansi standards but in certain situations it should be encouraged! it might save a few accidents where oprtrs. view is blocked. there's no better place to see what's going on the job site than from the top of the tree! let me know what you guys think. (i've been busy- tornado went through here sunday night!)

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Mike,

Thanks for the info. My concern is also for myself, since (you know)we have a smaller crane with remote like yours. I often considered the same solutions that you've come across.

MikePoor

mark, i worry about people in our industry doing anything (chipping, sawing, rigging, climbing, cranes, etc.) we here about so many accidents. most preventable, some not preventable. i worry about people with the attitude: i'll just shove the rakings the rest of the way in the chipper with my foot!!! cranes only "raise the stakes" of safety. an unsafe attitude w/crane= catastrophy. however i wouldn't be worried about you and a few others carefully using remote because (like me) you probably climbed and chipped at an early age, started doing crane removals in your early teens. or anyone with good/safe attitude, skill, and exp. my kids wanted to climb at age 2.

Attachments