Monkey Beaver harness

39Buick

This is probably a common problem for us older guys who get a bit top heavy when we hit middle age. I had the exact same issues when I started to rec climb, had to struggle to sit upright and got exhausted very quickly from the effort.. I can only tell you how I solved it. My current set up, either single or double rope, is with a SAKA (HAAS would also do) and a foot ascender so I don't have to put much strain on my arms. Then to stay upright, I bought a PMI chest roller and the neat chest harness that goes with it. I can climb almost hands-free with this arrangement, like climbing a ladder. When I get aloft, I can quickly unclip my line from the chest roller for moving around and limb walking. I have the double chest roller, which handles two lines, side by side, so it works with double rope too. What I do there, when on DdRT, is to float the hitch or mechanical up higher with the standing part of the line through the eye on my bridge and back up to the device, with a prussik on the standing part to advance the hitch or device. By moving the prussik up or down on the standing part, I can adjust the height of the hitch or device. Both parts of the line are thru the chest roller so I stay nice and upright just as when on SRT with the same setup. Hope this helps.
struggle to sit upright and got exhausted very quickly from the effort..

That sounds about right!! Thanks for your very much appreciated input!! I spent about 3 hours yesterday playing with the adjustments on my MB saddle and although it is not dialed in as they say, I have made improvements and can at least hang without holding the rope and tipping over backwards! Now maybe just some fine tuning and I can move onto climbing!!

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
@39Buick; Could you tell us what adjustments you made to the setup of your Monkey Beaver saddle that now allow you to sit without needing to hold onto the rope? I think this problem is a common one, and any hints you can give will help others who experience a similar circumstance. Thanks.

Tim

Burrapeg

@39Buick; Could you tell us what adjustments you made to the setup of your Monkey Beaver saddle that now allow you to sit without needing to hold onto the rope? . . .
Yes, would love to hear what you did. I had an idea also, from my other post. I think you can buy the nice PMI chest harness itself separately. It has a wide pad in back and is a lot more comfortable than simple webbing. The harness itself is a lot less expensive than the roller and I think it could be used somehow with just a biner around your line. Not as elegant as with the roller but would still keep you upright, especially when you just want to sit there and rest a bit. I haven't tried this but I could take my harness without the roller and see how that works, if you like. As others have said, however, it is such an individual thing. There are as many climbing setups as there are climbers! And you may have solved your problem already with the adjustments you made to the Monkey Beaver. I am saving up for one of those myself but have already spent so much on rope and gear every time I walk into WesSpur that I have had to rein myself in rather severely! LOL. Anyway, best of luck! Spring is almost on us!

39Buick

@39Buick; Could you tell us what adjustments you made to the setup of your Monkey Beaver saddle that now allow you to sit without needing to hold onto the rope? I think this problem is a common one, and any hints you can give will help others who experience a similar circumstance. Thanks.

Tim
I don't know why I didn't think of that!! I actually made the adjustments to the butt straps to get those more comfortable while in the harness. The biggest adjustment was made to the rigging plates. The length between the attachment point on the waist belt and the rigging plate has about 6 to 8 inches of movement. On New Tribes web site under the Onyx tab there was a users guide that showed in detail each part of the Onyx saddle. I did not find as much info under the MB saddle tab. at any rate, the "Bridge Strap Adjustment" changes your center of gravity as you sit suspended in the saddle. When I started my adjustments mine were fully extended. As I shortened that length it seemed to bring me more vertically towards the rope and a much more relaxing feel as I could hang in the saddle without holding the rope and not fall over backwards!! I still need to tweek mine some more but my my my what a difference that made. I also may have discovered a small design flaw in the belt. On the left side as i brought that adjustment in and weighted the saddle the rigging plate started to interfere with the waist belt buckle. I don't no if it would ever cuase the buckle to come loose but the fact that it actually got bound up in the buckle caused me to lengthen that strap. I don't really know enough about these products to say that it would be a design issue so take it for what its worth. I personally did not like the metal on metal contact and binding of these two components. It does state in the documentation to make small adjustments and I did find that to be true. One would not think that 1/2 of an inch would change much but it really does!! I am thinking to really get this saddle dialed in one would need to make small adjustments to the saddle and then climb/hang on it until you get it to the most comfortable spot. And one more thing, as you move your adjustable bridge in and out the feel changes as well.
Didn't mean to go on and on with this reply so in summary " Bridge Strap Adjustment" would be the place to start!!
I take that back, start at Treebuzz and ask dumb questions and the Great folks on here will get you headed in the right direction. You guys are amazing, thanks for the help!!

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Always hip to lower D ( or rigging plate ) is the adjustment for suspension...rope bridge length is moot....I run a short bridge on my TM and when suspended I sit in perfect balance....no leg numbing etc...total comfort...you should be in neutral when suspended...not falling foward or backward....

39Buick

Yes, would love to hear what you did. I had an idea also, from my other post. I think you can buy the nice PMI chest harness itself separately. It has a wide pad in back and is a lot more comfortable than simple webbing. The harness itself is a lot less expensive than the roller and I think it could be used somehow with just a biner around your line. Not as elegant as with the roller but would still keep you upright, especially when you just want to sit there and rest a bit. I haven't tried this but I could take my harness without the roller and see how that works, if you like. As others have said, however, it is such an individual thing. There are as many climbing setups as there are climbers! And you may have solved your problem already with the adjustments you made to the Monkey Beaver. I am saving up for one of those myself but have already spent so much on rope and gear every time I walk into WesSpur that I have had to rein myself in rather severely! LOL. Anyway, best of luck! Spring is almost on us!
Thanks for your insight!! I bit the bullet and ordered the chest harness and roller plate! I was told it was going to be drop shipped from the manufacturer so it will be a week or so before I can get my hands on it!:( I thought about your suggestion but after using that weaver chest harness and the pain I endured with it, Im taking no chances!! Besides who does not like new shiney gear in the mail box!! I understand spending the money on all this stuff!!! I am embarrassed to say that I haven't made a good tree ascent YET but I have quite the collection of gear to accomplish it!!
Thanks again for your help!!

Burrapeg

. . . I am embarrassed to say that I haven't made a good tree ascent YET but I have quite the collection of gear to accomplish it!!. . .
Nothing to be embarrassed about, Old Lad. It is best to have the right gear before attempting this stuff. There is a lot at stake after all. And it is not all that much money spent when you consider what a lot of guys spend on their hobbies (airplanes, boats, motorcycles, etc.) When you finally get up there about 100 feet that first time and look down, it is a moment you will never forget! One old newbie to another; I just started rec climbing last year and am 65 next month.

39Buick

Nothing to be embarrassed about, Old Lad. It is best to have the right gear before attempting this stuff. There is a lot at stake after all. And it is not all that much money spent when you consider what a lot of guys spend on their hobbies (airplanes, boats, motorcycles, etc.) When you finally get up there about 100 feet that first time and look down, it is a moment you will never forget! One old newbie to another; I just started rec climbing last year and am 65 next month.
Climb on my friend!! Hope to be doing this at 65 as well. I am looking forward to getting up there. I used climb utility poles and ride those buckets 40 50 60 feet and miss the view!! I don't own an airplane yet but plan on jumping out of one in the near future!!! One of those bucket list to do's!!

Stick79

I wanna try it out. It really looks comfy and useful. I would spend the money to buy it. I believe it is my next harness. I have the Buckingham rebellion now eh it's ok.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I wanna try it out. It really looks comfy and useful. I would spend the money to buy it. I believe it is my next harness. I have the Buckingham rebellion now eh it's ok.
Is that basically like a cougar/buckcat, or is it more like the liger mod/ergolite empire/edge/sentinel? If it's the latter, those are some reasonable saddles and the beginning of better and worse being more flavor based than they are objective.

Edit: I just looked it up. It's a liger modded cougar that is orange.
I hear some trash talking about them, but I loved my cougar once I modified it a little. There are some things missing that the $500 saddles have, but it is a fine saddle. It has the paws to make double bridges easy or attach extra systems, and no useless frills or crazy excessive gear loops (edge, empire, sentinel). I'm pretty sure there are caritool slots.

Last edited:

FreeFallin

Bridge Strap Adjustment" would be the place to start!!
THE MONKEY BEAVER SADDLE HAS A BRIDGE STRAP ADJUSTER :eek:

How have I never noticed that?!? There is a blizzard outside, looks like I am about t lo throw a rope on the hook and check this out. Might be just the thing I need to balance my girth.
:musculoso:

39Buick

THE MONKEY BEAVER SADDLE HAS A BRIDGE STRAP ADJUSTER :eek:

How have I never noticed that?!? There is a blizzard outside, looks like I am about t lo throw a rope on the hook and check this out. Might be just the thing I need to balance my girth.
:musculoso:
Free fallin,
Let us know how this changes things For you. I’m still moving things around to find “ that sweet spot “ but it’s much better than it was out of the box!

Stick79

Is that basically like a cougar/buckcat, or is it more like the liger mod/ergolite empire/edge/sentinel? If it's the latter, those are some reasonable saddles and the beginning of better and worse being more flavor based than they are objective.

Edit: I just looked it up. It's a liger modded cougar that is orange.
I hear some trash talking about them, but I loved my cougar once I modified it a little. There are some things missing that the $500 saddles have, but it is a fine saddle. It has the paws to make double bridges easy or attach extra systems, and no useless frills or crazy excessive gear loops (edge, empire, sentinel). I'm pretty sure there are caritool slots.
Yeah my rebellion is fine it has pinch points tho. And it's a suspension harness and it has all the features that would be on a rope bridge saddle. But the monkey beaver looks way more comfy. I believe it would be a harness that would be comfy for them long hours in a massive removal. @August Hunicke

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
@Tony Martinez; Hey, Tony! I know you've been a forum member for awhile, but I don't think I've read you before. Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I think you are going to like it here!

Feel free to jump in with both feet; I'd love to hear more about your climbing experiences!

Tim

Edit: P.S., I love your avatar photo!

Tony Martinez

@Tony Martinez; Hey, Tony! I know you've been a forum member for awhile, but I don't think I've read you before. Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I think you are going to like it here!

Feel free to jump in with both feet; I'd love to hear more about your climbing experiences!

Tim

Edit: P.S., I love your avatar photo!
Thanks, I’m only 19 years old don’t have very many but I will share what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk