miticide treatments

i have been spraying 10 queen palms with miticide over the course of 6 months and the mites just dont seem to be going away. the top terminal buds are shriveling up from the mites and doesnt seem to look like the miticide is taking effect. any tips on application and frequency of use? these little mo fo's are starting to piss me off.

mrtree

I guess the obvious question is have you identified the pest and then sprayed with a pesticide that will work with the specific species?

Further in a warm climate you can expect rapid (4-7 day generation time)reinfection.

mrtree

Read the labels. That is your most important source of information once you have a pesticide in your hands.

Are you using a contact miticide or a systemic?

Does it kill adults only?

Is it effective on the pest you are treating?

There are a lot of miticides that can be used in nursery and landscape situations. They all vary slightly and you should get help from some experts. I am willing to bet that Hawaii has an extension lab or university lab that can ID the pest and offer recommendations for legally available treatments.

mrtree

You still have not answered what species of mite you are dealing with.

As for stronger mix, is this what the label says?

treegazer

You should also be alternating the chemical class of miticide you are using. Don't use the same class of miticide twice in a row. The mites will build up a resistance quickly if you use the same product every time you spray. And like Mr. Tree said, get a 100% positive ID on the pest or pathogen causing the symptoms and read and follow the label, it's the law.
If it is a mite check out Lepitect to see if what your dealing with is on the label and that the product is labeled for use where you are using it.

here's the label: http://www.treecarescience.com/uploads/Labels/Insecticides/Lepitect/lepitect%20specimen%20label.pdf

I have had good results treating mites via soil injection with this product.

mrtree

Treegazer I agree.

I have never been to Hawaii but I know that IDing the problem (is it even a pest?), researching the pest and treatment options, and choosing a pesticide (if necessary) is likely to be the basic rules to follow, it works elsewhere in the world. Chemical rotation is a basic tool used to help prevent pesticide tolerance developement in a population of pests.

There is a plague on this borad, other discussion groups, and radio call-in shows making prescriptions without diagnosis. If arborists where held to the same standards as doctors most arborists would be sued and taken before the certification boards.

Having used Avid when needed for mites, it works well.

The biggest problem I have seen is insect resistance.

We have alternated with oils at the proper timings and have had good results.

Mites are difficult to control.

My background was in greenhouse / nursery management and we would rotate many non chemical and beneficial insect releases for management of insects.

mrtree

Since I have never used avid bands I cannot talk too much, but a quick web search indicates that tolerance within a population has developed by over use of Avid. The info comes from cannabis growing but I imagine the principals are similar. Could tolerance be an issue in Hawaiian Palms?

Alternating Avid and Neem Oil treatments have been very effective for me in the past. Almost exclusively these treatments were done on small ornamental trees/shrubs where observation and proper application were easy to control. Spider mites and other types of mites are a tough bunch to completely eradicate. Killing all of the eggs is really difficult as they tend to lay all eggs on the underside of the leaves. I could only imagine the challenges of getting an effective treatment on a taller tree of any variety.