Mini Rig System

Mitch Hoy

I put together an in-tree rigging system. @Raven turned me on to the idea, and the 3/8” stable braid. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? Thanks bud.

I’ve been moving toward a need for this since slimming down to a two man operation. I have always done a lot of self-rigging, but on my tail using natural redirects and friction management. I have used this mini POW for in tree control lines for a while. It will be nice to have a kit of hardware instead of constantly improvising in that situation.

I will be adding a few speedine slings as span rigging anchors. Everything fits nicely in the arbpro 8L with 100’ of rope, but I am already wanting get a shorter ultra sling for the POW. I have a 3’ultra sling with an Omni 1.5 that I am already having a hard time not scavenging from my half inch line kit, but it needs to stay there. I like the pinto sling, but I see it as being short term.

Do you guys see the mini splice on the 3/8”? Awww, so cute...

Attachments

Sgfinco

I was thinking about pairing that 3/8ths sable braid with my rig n wrench and a re direct for my bicycle rig. Should be able to do most pruning work with just that.

Mitch Hoy

@Sgfinco I wonder how much bend interaction/friction you would get between the 10mm and the wrench? Could be a great application if it works.
I think I might upgrade to an ultra ring sling that can be used as a quick fixed anchor, or set up as an adjustable/retrievable anchor with the addition of a revolver rig.
One nice aspect of the mini PoW is that for specific situations you can tie it off, move for a cut, and return to control descent. You could rig up a span rigging maneuver, tie off, make your cut, and then take the line termination off at the cut, while holding the load (at 1/2 weight because of the shared anchor), and move your drop zone back even further by bringing the line back towards the first anchor. Lots of possibilities there.

Crimsonking

I put together an in-tree rigging system. @Raven turned me on to the idea, and the 3/8” stable braid. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? Thanks bud.

I’ve been moving toward a need for this since slimming down to a two man operation. I have always done a lot of self-rigging, but on my tail using natural redirects and friction management. I have used this mini POW for in tree control lines for a while. It will be nice to have a kit of hardware instead of constantly improvising in that situation.

I will be adding a few speedine slings as span rigging anchors. Everything fits nicely in the arbpro 8L with 100’ of rope, but I am already wanting get a shorter ultra sling for the POW. I have a 3’ultra sling with an Omni 1.5 that I am already having a hard time not scavenging from my half inch line kit, but it needs to stay there. I like the pinto sling, but I see it as being short term.

Do you guys see the mini splice on the 3/8”? Awww, so cute...
You could replace the pinto with small ringsaver (the super small x rings) and replace the porty with a biner and Munter hitch. I used the munter below a ring when only one of two ground hands showed for a contract job, and I needed hands on a lowering line and a tag line.

One way to lock off a light (under 200lbs) rig is to halter hitch the rigging line to a branch or slender trunk below the rigging point. Once the piece is hanging on the rope, pop the hitch and run the line. I’ve done this when the team is otherwise occupied and I can make some rigging progress without pulling someone away from their work.

evo

I'm looking at using a oldschool wrench with the adjustment for a solo 3/8 lowering system. The little I've played around lowering limbs on a bite with a throwline sling to make it retrievable only puts half the load on the control leg. Meaning I can hand hold twice the weight of a overhead lowering system. I will also set up a sling and biner to redirect the running end above me a little bit, it's super easy to slap a munter on when needing the extra control. I have no doubt that a rig'n wrench would be plenty in this configuration, if not a little too much.

Sgfinco

And here I thought I was cool because I am using Propel HPR Diesel in my riggs.
Kudos to ya! Amazing setup.
@Sgfinco I wonder how much bend interaction/friction you would get between the 10mm and the wrench? Could be a great application if it works.
I think I might upgrade to an ultra ring sling that can be used as a quick fixed anchor, or set up as an adjustable/retrievable anchor with the addition of a revolver rig.
One nice aspect of the mini PoW is that for specific situations you can tie it off, move for a cut, and return to control descent. You could rig up a span rigging maneuver, tie off, make your cut, and then take the line termination off at the cut, while holding the load (at 1/2 weight because of the shared anchor), and move your drop zone back even further by bringing the line back towards the first anchor. Lots of possibilities there.
Thanks @rico it's a labor of love.

@Mitch Hoy well see how it works! The rig n wrench has more bite than I'd like with 1/2 all gear rigging line especially for most pruning work. I've actually used it most as a speed line anchor.

Been thinking about trying this for self rigging

Jehinten

Thanks @rico it's a labor of love.

@Mitch Hoy well see how it works! The rig n wrench has more bite than I'd like with 1/2 all gear rigging line especially for most pruning work. I've actually used it most as a speed line anchor.

Been thinking about trying this for self rigging

Personally I think that would be a hassle setting up each time and he mentions that it doesn't always release. Below is a post of mine from another thread that has been working well for me. It's been my go-to termination for solo rigging for a while now.

This is the setup that I have been using, it works very well and with a little shake once it's on the ground it comes right out.
View attachment 58144View attachment 58145

Mitch Hoy

Personally I think that would be a hassle setting up each time and he mentions that it doesn't always release. Below is a post of mine from another thread that has been working well for me. It's been my go-to termination for solo rigging for a while now.
That’s pretty rad... You could improvise the same rig out of so many random bits of hardware, which makes it that much cooler... The only thing really specific to it is the hook, which, btw, what type of hook are you using? I will definitely be experimenting with this.

Jehinten

That’s pretty rad... You could improvise the same rig out of so many random bits of hardware, which makes it that much cooler... The only thing really specific to it is the hook, which, btw, what type of hook are you using? I will definitely be experimenting with this.
That is just a cheap slip hook for a steel chain, maybe $4 at a hardware store. I believe that one is sized for 3/8" chain.