military style outdoor training poles

thattreeguy

has anyone ever constructed a piece of training equipment out of timbers or telephone poles?
i'm thinking like some of the stuff i used to train on in the army.
my thought is a 30'0 pole with belay set up. with the plastic handholds that you bolt onto rock climbing walls on it. for strength and agility training and for climbers to pick a path to climb,
also a 30'0 pole for new climbers to use spurs on.

my other thought is a 20'0 high by 24'0 long beam that has six or eight tie ins attached to it for mass demonstration and practice of footlocking and other knots.

i was wondering if anyone has ever built one of these before, it will be easier to use here in the yard rather than going to the park and having to set a whole bunch of lines
if anyone has advise or pictures i would appreciate any feedback
thanks

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Midstate Technical College in Wisconsin built a great indoor climbing gym using untreated poles and logs. Some are vertical others are horizontal. I don't have any pictures.

Alves

the poles at midstate are a grid set up of vertical pulls connected on the top via, other poles, then climbing poles were interspaced as needed. Works awesome then if need be, rigging scenarios could be set up by attaching branches where need be

thattreeguy

it would be cool,
i have 1 supervisors approval, he says he can build it if i design it, now for ops and owners approval.
so im trying to plan one out

pantheraba

[ QUOTE ]
has anyone ever constructed a piece of training equipment out of timbers or telephone poles?......
if anyone has advise or pictures i would appreciate any feedback
thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Check this site for how it has been done in the past:

http://www128.pair.com/r3d4k7/Climbing&Gymnastics1.9.html

these guys had some great ideas about how to use ropes to train stamina, suppleness, speed, strength, stability and agility.