Mecanil 220 vs 280 grapple saw???

Discussion in 'Rant and Rave' started by Gareth's Tree, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Gareth's Tree

Gareth's Tree Active Member

I have been running a 220 and am thinking about upgrading to a 280. It seems like there are enough times I am running out of bar length. My crane is rated for 1600 lbs on the pullout jib. What are you guys running and what do you think?

2. Steve Connally

Steve Connally Well-Known Member

I'm not running one yet but that's what I have on the build. I can see where having options would be great. If I had the cash (BIG IF), I'd have a 280 and the little one (160?) I can see where small and large both have their place. My plan is to take brush off the pull out and then increase my chart by running the saw off the fly section and not using the manual for logs. What boom do you have? My go to expert is @sjtreeguy

3. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

He happens to be the only lucky Effer owner with a mecanil saw. Palfleet did it for him in there earlier day when treemeks were just starting off. I hope they can do mine as well. I dropped it of there last week. Gareth what brand remote do you have?

4. Gareth's Tree

I have an effer 340. I have a 4 section main boom with a 3 section hydraulic jib plus one manual pull out. That is part of the reason my capacity is decent at the end of my jib. My boom is fairly short...

Steve Connally likes this.
  5. Gareth's Tree

Hopefully your crane can get taking care of there without too much jumping through hoops! I have a scanrico remote. It is the 400-series so I only have a 6 paddle controller. I have to flip a toggle switch to activate the grapple saw functions versus the jib functions. It was a little bit of a pain at first but now I do it without thinking about it usually. The worst part about it is when I am distracted and I forget to flip the switch and then start to open the grapple before I want to!!

LiTreeService and islandedge like this.