Marlow ropes

oldoakman

Where did you find those splicing instructions? I can't seem to get the Marlow site to cooperate or they have them well hidden.

Stephen Moore

In my experience Wesspur seems to play it safe more often than not, which i can hardly blame them. I've seen a few ropes advertised that they say are unable to be spliced, but Sherrill and Treestuff both spliced them. I just asked Wesspur the other day about a clearance rope that I bought from them (DrenaLine) if it could be used to replace my bridge. Their official answer was "that they have to follow the manufacturer's guidelines" meaning my only option is a sewn bridge from petzl. Once again, I'm not bashing them, and I understand why they wouldn't recommend just any rope for that purpose. They just wouldn't say yay or nay, probably for liability reasons.
They cannot recommend anything safety related that a manufacturer hasn’t stated. It would open them up to legal liability challenges. The best thing to do is make your own mods and make them super bomber. No chance the mod can fail. We all put our faith in knots and ropes, and neither are free of risk. You can’t see the core of a rope. You can do a feel inspection? But what if someone else on the crew abused that rope? What if someone used your climb line as a rigging line? Hmm we take risks all the time. Case in point, my friend Mr Bischoff climbed what looked be a healthy birch tree to cut down it and one next to it. The tree was next to a driveway. The tree he was in started to fall over he held onto the other with all his might so he could disconnect. It wasn’t meant to be and he rode the tree into a cement retaining wall. His leg, hip and ribs were broken badly. It ended his climbing career. The roots were obviously rotten and he put blind faith into them.

Brocky

You have to click on the download selection next to the description and specifications boxes.

Brocky

Not rope, but I've recently have tried some of their heat resistant covers on hitch cords. The blue/ black 10mm and the red 6mm are one type that are technora and polyester, thick and tightly braided. The blue and white, 8mm cover is Vectran and polyester, has a looser braid and expands more than the other two. The 10mm came as cover only with a small cord to pull a core in. The other two are ropes that had polypropylene cores, which will be replaced with dyneema or Vectran cores.
IMG_1831.JPG

Brocky

I like a vectran core because it stays round, while dyneema tends to flatten. If dyneema is buried inside itself, like the soft shackle hitch cord on the right, it helps to keep it round. Both hitch cords have a FSE Robline, 3mm Oceans 5000 STS core. The Oceans was too big for the cover on the soft shackle cord, making it stiff and shorter than I wanted. With that failure, I made the typical double eye hitch cord on the right, which I hope works with the small rope it's tied to.
The desired hand can be made by the diameters of core and cover, and with the double eyes, how much cover is trapped between the eyes.

Mowerr

I like a vectran core because it stays round, while dyneema tends to flatten. If dyneema is buried inside itself, like the soft shackle hitch cord on the right, it helps to keep it round. Both hitch cords have a FSE Robline, 3mm Oceans 5000 STS core. The Oceans was too big for the cover on the soft shackle cord, making it stiff and shorter than I wanted. With that failure, I made the typical double eye hitch cord on the right, which I hope works with the small rope it's tied to.
The desired hand can be made by the diameters of core and cover, and with the double eyes, how much cover is trapped between the eyes.
Hi brock, I recently messed up a splicing attempt on a hank of velocity so ill salvaged the cover and was able to stuff some new England tech cord inside the velocity cover. I had to mills the cover hard to make it smooth and round but with doing that I understand the cover might not add much strength bc its not balanced with the core correctly but am I wrong assuming that it is a little stronger now with the added protection of the cover and added strength of the braid? I'm using knotted terminations and the rope is more like 9mm diameter now and it grabbs on every rope I've tried when using it as a friction hitch

Mowerr

Since I've done this I've been very interested in triple braids and found this thread and didn't really know that anyone was doing this kinda thing so I appreciate any thoughts and insight you can offer, ty.
P.s. is the rope the strongest if I milk the cover as tight as possible before I terminate with knots or should I try to milk a little more cover into the tight eyes of the dbl fisherman's terminations?

Brocky

The Tech cord stretches less than the cover, so it would seem that the cord would take most of the load at first, and the cover would help depending on how much stretch there is in it. Tying, or sewing it with the cover stretched as much as possible would probably make it share the load earlier.

The Tech cord by itself is strong enough for a double eye friction hitch, putting it inside the Velocity cover makes it possibly stronger and definitely better suited for use as a friction hitch. Neat idea!

A couple days ago I took a nicked Velocity 2 in 1 apart, took the core out and buried the cover inside itself to make a uniform diameter single eye sling. It’s about the same diameter as original construction.
The below is, top to bottom, Velocity, my sling, Velocity core, Tech cord, a clamped piece of Tech in stretched Velocity.
8C4D70B6-B81A-47FF-B90E-DE67D1A11C35.jpeg

Mowerr

The Tech cord stretches less than the cover, so it would seem that the cord would take most of the load at first, and the cover would help depending on how much stretch there is in it. Tying, or sewing it with the cover stretched as much as possible would probably make it share the load earlier.

The Tech cord by itself is strong enough for a double eye friction hitch, putting it inside the Velocity cover makes it possibly stronger and definitely better suited for use as a friction hitch. Neat idea!

A couple days ago I took a nicked Velocity 2 in 1 apart, took the core out and buried the cover inside itself to make a uniform diameter single eye sling. It’s about the same diameter as original construction.
The below is, top to bottom, Velocity, my sling, Velocity core, Tech cord, a clamped piece of Tech in stretched Velocity.
View attachment 58197
How strong do ya think your sling is when spliced eye without the core like that? Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing guys splice eyes like that but I didn't remember them doing 24 strand, thought it was 16 or something

Brocky

The cover takes 50 percent of the load, so the buried section is probably 100 percent, there’s no taper, so no stress risers. The eye should be 100 with two sections of cover. The throat being created would reduce the break strength. But the eye might be stronger, because it flattens. My theory, anyways.

Mowerr

I was also curious what u thought about the fit of that tech cord in that sheath? After looking at yours stretched out I feel I did a pretty good job making the cover tight for the cover to help carry the load. My original idea was to add the sheath just so the cord would work better with my gear. I thought it would be too baggy but after sizing it up, the diameter is defiantly larger than 8mm but less than 10mm. My gut thinks its really close to 9mm flat

View attachment 58197

Mowerr

I was also curious what your thought about the fit of the tech cord in that sheath? I'm pretty sure mine is 9mm

Brocky

It looks like it exactly matches the diameter of 9mm HTP. It’s a lot more flexible than I thought it would be with the stiff Tech cord. I’m going to try it out with the HH2.

Brocky

While making up a HH cord, the cover was a little short, so I tied the stopper knot in the Tech cord to give me more cover. The cord is strong enough by itself for hitch cord use, so that led to making a hitch cord tying two eyes in the Tech cord. The smaller eyes are nice and there are more choices for the cover. Something like this, but with proper knots.
A57DCEC6-A089-4265-A62E-DF28F7A2F427.jpeg

Mowerr

I agree I thought the finish product was gonna be much more stiffer but so far in really liking how its behaving with everything I got. So did u mention that you can buy covers from Marlow?

Brocky

Yes, Marlow makes about a dozen different kinds, not many are available here. Robline also does. They’re expensive, though. My thoughts are to use nylon covers off of accessory cord.

Mowerr

Ahh good cheap idea I like it. Idk if I ever had a hitch cord with nylon cover. I assume the nylon behaves not much different than poly...probably wears down quicker but easy and cheap to replace. I been noticing you seem to really like that technora in your hitch cords. Does that nylon ever give you issues stretching out or milking worse than other materials?