Marlow ropes

Stephen Moore

Any feedback on the Marlow rope lineup? I have a local distributor for them here in BC and need to replace a half dozen worn out ropes.

oldoakman

Any of the web supply houses. Bailey's sometimes has good sales on rope but a narrow selection. Knot and Rope Supply is also good. I usually try to watch for holiday sales from wesspur and TreeStuff.

oldoakman

The Vega had my interest until I found out it can't be spliced. I like having an eyesplice in my lines, it gives me more options. Then again, the name reminds me of a crappy Chevy.

Brocky

Checking out the Vega splicing instructions, I noticed that it is very similar to the Marlowbraid splice, except this one appears to have the tail pass through itself as it's buried. If it does, where is the point it passes through itself?
Wesspur doesn't splice it, nor did they the Aeris that they used to carry. I read somewhere that they couldn't get consistent results.

But Honeybros does have spliced eyes.
IMG_0121.PNG

Last edited:

Stephen Moore

I watched the splicing video and while it was similar, it appeared they were forced to eliminate some core and some shell to make it fit? Not sure what to think about that?perhaps the rope is better suited to be eye free?

oldoakman

Checking out the Vega splicing instructions, I noticed that it is very similar to the Marlowbraid splice, except this one appears to have the tail pass through itself as it's buried. If it does, where is the point it passes through itself?
Wesspur doesn't splice it, nor did they the Aeris that they used to carry. I read somewhere that they couldn't get consistent results.

But Honeybros does have spliced eyes.
View attachment 52149
When I asked wesspur about I was told the parallel core prevented both hand and sewn splicing on this rope. Too bad because I like the tensile strength and low elongation. Any Marlow reps out there care to send a sample to me to test?

Jehinten

In my experience Wesspur seems to play it safe more often than not, which i can hardly blame them. I've seen a few ropes advertised that they say are unable to be spliced, but Sherrill and Treestuff both spliced them. I just asked Wesspur the other day about a clearance rope that I bought from them (DrenaLine) if it could be used to replace my bridge. Their official answer was "that they have to follow the manufacturer's guidelines" meaning my only option is a sewn bridge from petzl. Once again, I'm not bashing them, and I understand why they wouldn't recommend just any rope for that purpose. They just wouldn't say yay or nay, probably for liability reasons.